Airbus Military/EADS A319 MPA

Started by Hobbes, May 19, 2011, 02:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 25, 2011, 08:01:39 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 22, 2011, 12:32:34 PM
A Mk 46 torp weighs around 500 lbs, that's equivalent to around 74 US gallons.

A bit off there mate --
A US Gallon weighs 6.073 lbs which would make it 82.33 US Gallons
An Imperial Gallon weighs 7.29 lbs which would make it 68.59 Imp' Gallons

Please note that I said 'about'. And I deliberately chose a capacity that was half way between US and Imperial gallons exactly because I knew the issue would come up. It makes little or no difference to the ability of a suitable pump to shift that amount of fuel fast enough...........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Greg, on the P-3, do the Sonobouys simply fall free or are they "fired" by an explosive charge?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Hobbes

I've redone the sonobuoy ports. My initial effort didn't result in straight lines between the ports, drilling on a curved surface isn't easy. So I drilled holes into a piece of plasticard, and faired that into the fuselage instead.

I've also added a MAD boom. Unusually, this sits on top of the tailfin (as per the brochure that Greg linked to).

rallymodeller

I believe the manual tubes in the P-3/CP140 are freefall, but triggered.

As to the location of the MAD boom, the "normal" low tail position for the MAD is, in an A32X, occupied by the APU. It was probably easier to engineer the MAD boom into the fin-top than to relocate the APU and its associated systems.   
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Gondor

There is an added advantage to your portrayal of the sonabuoy launch tubes. The added plastic looks as if it could be a strengthening plate around the area of the tubes which would be a logical thing to do.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Pablo1965

This is getting more and more interesting.  :thumbsup: :cheers:

Aussie747

Wow, this is a great thread! I love a nice MP aircraft build. Your A319 is looking great
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

rickshaw

Quote from: rallymodeller on June 28, 2011, 12:54:58 PM
As to the location of the MAD boom, the "normal" low tail position for the MAD is, in an A32X, occupied by the APU. It was probably easier to engineer the MAD boom into the fin-top than to relocate the APU and its associated systems.   

Putting a boom on top of the fin would work.  As the objective is to put the magnetic sensors as far as possible from the electro-magnetic sources in the aircraft (engines/computers/etc.), in the tail or on top of the tail would be just  as good.  Doesn't the Tu142 Bear have one there?

I've often wondered why more use of a trailing MAD "bird" is not utilised by fixed wing aircraft.  I know some naval helicopters have them but I'd have thought putting the magnetic sensor as far as possible from the aircraft would have made just as much sense for fixed wing as rotary wing.

GTX

Quote from: rickshaw on June 25, 2011, 06:56:50 PM
Greg, on the P-3, do the Sonobouys simply fall free or are they "fired" by an explosive charge?

On a P-3, although some could be free-fall, most were 'fired' using a Cartridge Actuated Device (CAD).

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Quote from: rickshaw on June 29, 2011, 06:48:03 AM

I've often wondered why more use of a trailing MAD "bird" is not utilised by fixed wing aircraft.  I know some naval helicopters have them but I'd have thought putting the magnetic sensor as far as possible from the aircraft would have made just as much sense for fixed wing as rotary wing.

Biggest concern would be what happens if you get a system failure and can't wind it back in prior to landing (less of an issue on a helicopter ;)).  Is this risk worth any additional gain?

Regards,

Greg

Gondor

Quote from: GTX on July 01, 2011, 11:51:58 AM

Biggest concern would be what happens if you get a system failure and can't wind it back in prior to landing (less of an issue on a helicopter ;)).  Is this risk worth any additional gain?

Regards,

Greg

Most systems will have a set of cable cutters installed for such an eventuality. Simply fly over your home airfield and "snip" the sensor falls to the ground where it can easily be recovered and the aircraft will be able to land soon after.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

GTX

Quote from: Gondor on July 01, 2011, 01:14:50 PM
Most systems will have a set of cable cutters installed for such an eventuality. Simply fly over your home airfield and "snip" the sensor falls to the ground where it can easily be recovered and the aircraft will be able to land soon after.

Oh, I appreciate that is possible which is why I said "Is this risk worth any additional gain?"  Anything is possible, but the real question whether it is worth it.

Regards,

Greg

Hobbes

I've painted the aircraft (mostly, there's still some details to do), and I've been working on the torpedos.

Once I managed to produce 6 torpedos that were close to identical, I stuck them to some plastic for painting:

Here they are, installed in the weapons bay:

The next job is to scratch some JSM missiles, if I can get enough pictures to get a good idea of its shape.

Army of One

Loving this more an more......... :wub:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

rickshaw

Quote from: GTX on July 01, 2011, 11:51:58 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on June 29, 2011, 06:48:03 AM

Regards,

Greg

Increased sensitivity of the MAD system?  Not sure by what factor but it would be appreciable, I'm sure.  Would that be sufficient to justify it?  No idea.