tc2324

This loos like the dogs gonads.  :wub:

Excellent work and looking forward to the finished article. :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Green Dragon

You've done a great job there Hobbes, love the bomb bay.  :wub: :thumbsup:

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Hobbes

It's almost done, now awaiting decals (I'm having custom decals printed up, but the company that does the work has been having technical problems, as a result my decals are 6 months late).

The bomb bay and sonobuoy launcher:

IRST under the nose:

Convex observation windows:

I haven't added underwing missiles yet, may go with Harpoon after all.

kitnut617

That looks terrific as it is Harro --  :bow:

A quick question, how does the A319 compare to the Nimrod size wise ?  To me it doesn't look any bigger  :-\

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hobbes

Thanks Robert. The Nimrod is a bit longer (38 m vs. 33 m) but that may include the MAD probe of the Nimrod.
The A319 has more cabin space: its fuselage is 3.95 m across, the Nimrod is 2.97 m. The Comet had 4 seats across, the Airbus has 6 if I'm not mistaken.

The EADS brochure shows that there's plenty of room left in the Airbus cabin; with 2010 technology as opposed to the stuff installed in the MR2 that's no real surprise.

kitnut617

Quote from: Hobbes on August 27, 2011, 07:59:55 AM
Thanks Robert. The Nimrod is a bit longer (38 m vs. 33 m) but that may include the MAD probe of the Nimrod.
The A319 has more cabin space: its fuselage is 3.95 m across, the Nimrod is 2.97 m. The Comet had 4 seats across, the Airbus has 6 if I'm not mistaken.

That would explain it then, the wider fuselage gives an optical illusion that makes it appear smaller.  If the fuselage is the same length it would be a much bigger aircraft than a Nimrod.  I'm going to get a Welsh Models 1/72 A320 in the near future so I will get an even better perspective of the two aircraft.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Spey_Phantom

looks good  :mellow:, i really like how this turned out  :wub:

to bad the decals are going to be a tad late.
have you ever concidered making your own decals? its not that hard (or expensive) :)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Hobbes

I was planning to make this a NATO bird, and the NATO logo includes white areas. I don't want to futz around painting tiny white areas prior to applying decals. Inkjet printers and I don't see eye to eye, so I'll do anything to avoid having to print the decals myself.

McColm

Great work,
Having flown on several Nimrod missions, the layout at the back is different. There are two rotary launch tubes, sonor tubes carried internally.
The Nimrod layout  was narrow, walking from front to rear meant turning sideways. Not much fun when you are carrying a tray full of hot tea.
The M.A.D. boom should be fixed, as with the Lockheed Viking the extentable boom had to be recalibrate after each mission.

Gondor

How big is the weapon bay?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Hobbes

It's 27 mm long, the width across the doors is 2x 10 mm. I've chosen the size to accommodate Mk-46 torpedoes, with some room left for growth. The Airbus material didn't show the exact size of the bay. 

Pablo1965

Goooood idea, and nice work, The plexiglas bubble is really awesome. I will follow this plane closely

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Another brilliantly believable project, Harro.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on August 28, 2011, 05:06:22 AM
I was planning to make this a NATO bird, and the NATO logo includes white areas. I don't want to futz around painting tiny white areas prior to applying decals. Inkjet printers and I don't see eye to eye, so I'll do anything to avoid having to print the decals myself.

The trick to that is to use two layers, the lower one being white with the other colours as the top layer. It's true there are some shapes that can't be done like this though, anything with a white outline is almost impossible.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit