De Havilland Mosquito

Started by Daryl J., January 07, 2004, 09:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

Well you could always go with the Argentinian Calquin.

Brian da Basher

kitnut617

Trevor, how about a couple of Centaurus's or even R-2800's, The Australians did an R-2800 Beaufighter.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Brian da Basher

QuoteP&W Twin Wasps?
Rat you nailed it! Those were indeed the engines used on the Calquin. Hopefully Trevor will find the inspiration he's looking for here. :)

Brian da Basher

upnorth

QuoteTrevor, how about a couple of Centaurus's
My thoughts exactly! :wub:

Beyond the actual engines, I'd be inclined to make it more exotic than USAF.

I'd paint it high speed silver and put it in Korean War SAAF markings, you know the old early post war blue/white roundel with the impala in it. I'd cram a load of rockets under its wings, convert its weapons bay to a big gun bay and stick it in the COIN role.

Alternately, I'd paint it sea grey over sky, stick Indian Navy markings on it and load it with guns and depth charges for the anti shipping role.

You could also do it up in Royal Egyptian Air Force markings for one of their earlier
spats with Israel.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Jennings

Quotesuggestions please for a radial engined mossie...  :wacko:
Blasphemer!

:dum:  
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

upnorth

Quotesuggestions please for a radial engined mossie...  :wacko:
Blasphemer!

:dum:
Its not blasphemy until he puts tricycle landing gear on it! :dum:

Unless its a turboprop, tricycle landing gears set ups don't look right on prop driven aircraft.

(muses quitely to himself "Mosquito with a pair of Darts and contraprops...." :wub: )
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

kitnut617

(muses quitely to himself "Mosquito with a pair of Darts and contraprops...." :wub: )
After reading the Rolls Royce Heritage Trust's book on the RR Crecy a few years ago, I have always wondered how this engine would have impacted aircraft design.
The Crecy concept looked a lot like a jet turbine, what with the compessor at the front and the exhaust turbine at the back.

What would aircraft, like the Mossie, involved into using these engines.  Would it have been underdesigned for the power that was envisioned from this engine?

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Jennings

I wouldn't go as far as a pair of Darts, but how about these two re-engine jobs??

:)

"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Mossie

How about later model P&W Wasp series like the R-3350 for a late war bird or R-4360 post-war?  You could then paint it up with oil blowing all over ther wing & fairing, Skyraider style!  I know it's an inline, but Napier Sabre's would look seriously grunty & would be one hell of a talking point!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

B777LR

Radial engined mosquito, thats so... damn.

GTX

QuoteAs for the Calquin, the Argies wanted Merlins originally but the Ministry of Supply said no - but they could buy Mosquitos instead!

And people think defence export sales lunancy is a new thing!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Howard of Effingham

QuoteWell you could always go with the Argentinian Calquin.

thanks BdB! that is exactly what i was aiming for but with a standardish fighter
nose rather than a bomber version. it won't be having tricycle u/c btw.

and to the nay-sayers hereabouts. tough! its my model and if i wanted to i'd paint
it red, so there.  :P i was planning to do a twin radial engined
F-82 but thought that was too far for now.

t.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Captain Canada

Since you're going with radials, I like the US idea. Maybe even a USN carrier bird ? Since they only wanted radials at sea........

Any road, have fun ! And let's see a few pics !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

markm70

Its not blasphemy until he puts tricycle landing gear on it! :dum:

Unless its a turboprop, tricycle landing gears set ups don't look right on prop driven aircraft.

I'd have to take exception with that statement, the Grumman F7F Tigercat was one of the most beautiful radial engined aircraft ever built and it sat on a tricycle gear.  :D

I like the radial engined Mosquito idea, how about a Russian reverse engineered aircraft usin available Soviet radials instead.

Mark