De Havilland Mosquito

Started by Daryl J., January 07, 2004, 09:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 23, 2016, 07:07:38 PM
Quote from: zenrat on August 22, 2016, 03:25:11 AM
Quote from: KiwiZac on August 21, 2016, 02:35:56 PM
Not really Whif material, but the newest airworthy Mosquito restoration is nearing flight. Engine runs have been happening over the last week. And, as it's all happening 5hr drive from me, I'll be up there once she flies so I can catch some of the testing! This is a T.III.

Shame she'll be emigrating.

That depends on where you are, seeing as her new home is about ten miles from my house
I won't be complaining.  ;D

Also as aircraft in the pattern for Paine Field regularly fly over my house I may even see her in flight
over head.  ;D

I'm just jealous.  If she stayed in NZ there was a slim chance i'd get to see her fly.  If she's in the US slim goes to pretty much zero.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

KiwiZac

Fred, if you get here in the next fortnight you've got a great chance!  :thumbsup: An Auckland-based mate is planning on a bit of spotting at Ardmore this weekend to try and catch the first flight. Weather across NZ has been terrible this week but should be fine....rumour has it the only obstacle is test pilot availability. From memory we have two Mossie guys. Check out another mate's photos from a couple of days ago here. And it's been very strongly hinted at that should it have flown in time TV959 will take part in the Battle of Britain flypast over Auckland on the 18th of this month. If she's flown by then, I plan on a daytrip to catch her. Expect photos and video! And before anyone asks: the aircraft isn't going to be painted before going to Everett. That's where Jon has an advantage over me  ;)

Back to whiffery. There have been a couple of Mossie racers IRL but they were entered in distance events. As we get closer to the races at Reno I've been turning my mind to a Mossie pylon racer in the vein of Strega, Rare Bear, Critical Mass etc. I'm not looking for aerodynamic data (I have some refs downloaded) but would there be much point/advantage to clipping the wings? The "Go Fast" is underway, the "Fly Low" isn't an issue, I just want to refine the "Turn Left" part.

Also, would a four-blade prop give any speed benefit? Or is it more for coping with torque?

EDIT: turns out the prototype, E0234/W4050, has clipped wings...I may be onto something.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

Thanks for the links Zac.
I'd love to pop over to see her but I don't have that sort of money. 
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Dizzyfugu

The more blade surface, the more power you can transfer and convert engine power into propulsion. However, there might be limitations or optimal designs concerning the air density where the aircraft is to operate, so there might come a point where the prop itself causes more drag than the propulision benefit (esp. at low altitude with dense air), or you have to have a certain area at high altitudes because the air is so thin that the propeller becomes less and less effective. You also have a rotating mass with the propeller itself, with torque issues and probably vibrations, depending on speed, blade length and air density. Not an easy topic.

Besides, I recently read an article about different blade shapes (ranging from classic straight designs over curved sickle-blades up to short, almost round paddles), and what amzed me most was the fact that the straight design with clipped tips was (overall) the most effcient one. Others have probably more specific operational windows, though.

KiwiZac

Thanks Diz. I've gone with standard, cuffed P-51D blades as most Mustang racers seem to get away with that. Expect a post in the proper Modelling forum soon.
Zac in NZ

Librarian

Robert Taylor has released a nice new Mossie print...not up to his higher standards, more of an oil sketch, but still catching that LOOK!

http://www.brooksart.com/Devastatingstrike.html

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: KiwiZac on September 11, 2016, 01:15:08 PM
Thanks Diz. I've gone with standard, cuffed P-51D blades as most Mustang racers seem to get away with that. Expect a post in the proper Modelling forum soon.
That should look cool. The Swedish Air Force outfitted their J30 night fighters with four blade props, too, and it certainly adds puposefulness to the aircraft.

DarrenP2

could the mosquito have been used as a torpedo bomber?

Captain Canada

Who was the user in Canada that clipped their wings for photo mapping work ? I'm sure I have photos of them somewhere. In an old book probably.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Quote from: DarrenP2 on September 12, 2016, 04:19:22 AM
could the mosquito have been used as a torpedo bomber?
The Sea Mosquito could.

https://airscapemag.com/2015/07/26/secrets-of-the-sea-mosquito/
Fred

Dizzyfugu

It could even start and land on a carrier!

KiwiZac

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 12, 2016, 04:25:09 AM
Who was the user in Canada that clipped their wings for photo mapping work ? I'm sure I have photos of them somewhere. In an old book probably.
My guess is Spartan Air Services. They few about half-a-dozen during the 1950s and 60s, including the example now airworthy in Vancouver. Very fetching aircraft: all-over silver with red bands on the fuse.

The wings are clipped, the nacelles and props modded, wings on again...expect to see something in the WIP area in a wee while ;)

In real-world news: I'm waiting for word that TV959/ZK-FHC has flown. Today's the first day a test pilot has been available but unfortunately it's been raining on-and-off up there. There's a chance it might happen later this afternoon...
Zac in NZ

zenrat

I want to build a 1/72 glass nose Mosquito.  What's the best current injection kit please.

Fred

NARSES2

Others may differ, but I'd say Tamiya. Better price (at least in the UK) than Hasegawa as well  :thumbsup:

I'm going mainly on "buildability"  as I think both are reasonably accurate ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.