De Havilland Mosquito

Started by Daryl J., January 07, 2004, 09:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: sequoiaranger on May 19, 2008, 04:45:14 PMI see a problem of scale here, in wing thickness. I used true 1/72-scale wings with the 1/48 Mossie fuselage because the 1/48-scale wings would be too thick, relatively.  The fuselage is just a "box", but the wing's airfoil has proper ratios that I think get out of whack, especially if you are going to have a fast bomber--thick wings have more lift at slow speeds, but too much air resistance at high speeds--look at the early-war French bombers for some non-inspiration. If I were you I would look at other large 1/48 wings with the similar straight leading edge and severe taper of the trailing edge (if you want to keep the Mossie look). As far as radiators go, I like the planview 4-motor somewhere else here [gooberliberation #38] that had the leading-edge radiators for each engine.  Or, you could consider using a 1/72 B-49 flying wing for a swept-wing Mossie!! I have an old vac-form B-49 that would have good wings, or even the injected-mold version.
Craig,

Thanks for the feedback.  You have brought up a very valid point about keeping the wing airfoil to scale.  Perhaps the B-49 wing would be a much better alternative.  I had been focused on keeping the planform of the Mosquito wing since it is so recognizable.  I have a B-49 kit in protective custody and that could provide all of the necessary parts to make this work.  The pusher propeller arrangement would also necessitate conversion to a tricycle landing gear to keep the propellers from striking the ground during rotation which means the B-49 landing gear could be put to good use for this scale-o-rama. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

jcf

Quote from: sequoiaranger on May 19, 2008, 09:47:58 AM
>Superb sir! Can't get enough of these DH whiffs! Any more Mossies you've done?<
As far as DeHavilland stuff goes, I had also thought of a DH 86 Dragon Rapide with four engines and an open top gun position as a light bomber for "colonial" work (engines from DH Heron--might have just made a "Heron" bomber).

De Havilland produced a military version of the D.H. 89 Rapide.
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1935/1935%20-2-%200700.html
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1935/1935%20-2-%200701.html
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1935/1935%20-2-%200580.html

The larger four-engined D.H. 86 was called the Express Air Liner.
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1934/1934%20-%200171.html

Jon

K5054NZ

I've an Airfix Rapide in the stash - will either be built as an RNZAF DH.89M or a DH.92 Dolphin retractable airliner. May load up the 89M with some more guns and external bombs.....hehe....57mm Molins cannon  :banghead:

K5054NZ

Quote from: sequoiaranger on May 19, 2008, 09:47:58 AM
Couldn't help but notice the NZ tag--I went fairly near you this February, driving a campervan from Tongariro NP to Palmerston North on my way to Wellington. We were at Okahune and were trying to get to Wellington as fast as possible to catch a late Cook Ferry (didn't make it).
:) I'm in Wanganui, about 45min-hour north of Palmerston North on the coast. Haha next time you're here look me up!

kitnut617

According to Putman' De Havilland Aircraft since 1909 only three Mosquitos (W4050, W4053 & W4073) were converted to have a turret, all dummy installations, and the experiment didn't go any further.

Phil Butler also told me the same thing after he said he'd spent considerable time scouring the archives after hearing a similar tale of a completed one.  He sent me a photo which Greg (GTX) has posted back on page three of this thread, the solid one not the perspec one.  He told me he found some reference to one of the dummy installations being blown off in the slipstream while the aircraft was taking off and very nearly caused a major wreck.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 21, 2008, 01:56:11 PM
Scouring my various references, I came across the possibility of US production as a set of drawings was sent over.  Twin Allisons rather than Merlins? Not one I'd build (although KG200 "Zirkus Rosarius" is possible...) but a nice idea nonetheless.

On the subject of other engines, a proposal for twin Napier Daggers rather than Merlins.  Toying with this one for when I get a mould done.

Australia was interested in the FBXVIII Tse-Tse Fly.

At least one aircraft was fitted with a turret but I can't find any photos other than the one of the mock up turret.  This was proposed re for convoy protection. 

As for the four engined one, it looks to have some basis in reality, although it would have been more likely with Sabres rather than Merlins.

This one seems to be of a real turret although the quality is a bit dodgy, from Secret Projects:

Mock up pic too:

About American engines, the P&W R2800 might be a good option late war, it'd have plenty of power.  A Mossie with an R2800 would look similar to the Calquin, if beefier, the R2800 being directly related to the Twin Wasp used in that aircraft.  You could rob a couple from a Tigercat kit.

Like the idea of Napier Daggers, would give a different look.  The Vulture would have given some more power, had the bugs have been ironed out, it would give a chunkier look to the Mossie.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

The second photo Simon has posted is the same as the one Phil Butler sent me.  I asked him if he knew whether this would have been a remote turret, if you notice the group of four holes in the side where it was tested with the mock guns sticking out sidewards, because as far as I can see there's no room for a gunner the way the guns are grouped.  He said he didn't have any info on what the turret was or how it would have it's guns fired.

sequoiaranger

Might it be possible to incorporate P-38-style turbochargers on the nacelle tops?

I did a whif using Mosquito wingsa nd nacelles, but put pointy spinners (from an early-style P-38) on it.  Hmmm. Shoulda used my own suggestion and "transferred" the whole P-38 nacelle and turbocharger onto the Mossie wings!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Mossie

I know you're not a fan of radials on the Mossie & the Calquin does look kind of odd, but I think think something the size of the R2800 might suit it better.  They look a little out of place on the slim F7F, I think they might suit the Mossie better.  Hmm, got me thinking, how would a pair of Griffons look on a F7F?

Think you're right about the Dagger.  Except for it's proposal as an emergency alternative for the Merlin, it's use wouldn't make much sense, not much development in it, let alone aerodynamic problems.  It's why I mentioned the Vulture, okay, real world it was sh!te, but if RR's engine development had gone according to plan it, would be interesting to see what kind look it would have given.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Everything I've read about the Dagger is that the intention was to use it on 'Second Line' aircraft, training, hacks etc. to relieve Merlin production which then could be concentrated on 'Operational' types.  I've not come across any reference that says different.

GTX

Alternatively, what about a turboprop Mosquito?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 22, 2008, 08:40:29 AM
Everything I've read about the Dagger is that the intention was to use it on 'Second Line' aircraft, training, hacks etc. to relieve Merlin production which then could be concentrated on 'Operational' types.  I've not come across any reference that says different.

It probably won't have applied to the Mossie anyway, as by the time it went into production the Merlin was very well established.  Possibly if it had entered service early war, as there weren't many second line types using the Merlin at that stage?

Quote from: GTX on July 22, 2008, 08:58:15 AM
Alternatively, what about a turboprop Mosquito?

Regards,

Greg

We always bring up COIN aircraft, why not the Mossie?  Turboprops & large amounts of ordanance carried in the bay & under the wings?

kitbasher

Quote from: Mossie on July 22, 2008, 09:03:10 AM
We always bring up COIN aircraft, why not the Mossie?  Turboprops & large amounts of ordanance carried in the bay & under the wings?
Especially with tandem seats.
Probably would be everything a Pucara isn't (and never will be). ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

pyro-manic

Quote from: Mossie on July 22, 2008, 09:03:10 AM

I am SO trying that.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

Quote from: kitbasher on July 22, 2008, 11:28:53 AM
Especially with tandem seats.
Probably would be everything a Pucara isn't (and never will be). ;D ;D

Your probably best off using a Hornet fuse for a tandem aircraft, keep the slim shape.

Quote from: pyro-manic on July 22, 2008, 11:40:50 AM
I am SO trying that.

Go for it!  If you're thinking of RAF in Vietnam, let me know, I've been giving an RAF SEA camouflage scheme thought for some time.