De Havilland Mosquito

Started by Daryl J., January 07, 2004, 09:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

>[kitnut]You know sequoiaranger, I might just get a 1/48 Mossie kit to see how much could be used on this project, I think you could use quite a bit of the rear fuselage.<

I used a Monogram 1/48 Mossie fuselage for my 4-engined Mossie whif.  I wouldn't recommend it for your whif. The Monogram's fuselage is a "racetrack" oval rather than near-round in cross-section. That is, the Monogram Mossie has a bit of slab-side to its fuselage that is inaccurate to the real plane. It was fine for my whif (and, embarrassingly, I had not compared the Monogram kit to real drawings prior to making it) so I have no regrets, but....!

The He-111 has a nice, round cross-section, at least the part aft of the ventral gun tub.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

kitnut617

Thanks sr, out of all the kits in my stash I don't have an He.111 (actually I don't have very many German ones at all) but I think I'll have to source a cheap one just to see how feasable it would be.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

sequoiaranger

>Thanks sr, out of all the kits in my stash I don't have an He.111 (actually I don't have very many German ones at all) but I think I'll have to source a cheap one just to see how feasable it would be.<

Let me look through my stash of leftover parts. I would bet I have several Italaeri He-111 fuselages. When I made my 1/72 "He-211" I used TWO "Zwilling" kits, so I am sure I had some leftover fuselage parts! I am going to re-do the He-211 sometime, with a larger fuselage from the Lindberg 1/64 kit, but I intend to keep the present fuselage. Give me a few days---I may have a FREE fuselage or two for you!

GTX

What if the original plans to fit the Mossie with a turret continued - maybe we'd have something a bit like this:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Later on, these were updated with a remote turret:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

And due to a concern for a shortage of RR Merlin engines, the Hercules engine Mossie was trialed:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Oh, what to do with old Mosquito airframes:

regards,

Greg

kitnut617

Quote from: sequoiaranger on October 25, 2008, 10:59:37 AM

Let me look through my stash of leftover parts. I would bet I have several Italaeri He-111 fuselages. When I made my 1/72 "He-211" I used TWO "Zwilling" kits, so I am sure I had some leftover fuselage parts! I am going to re-do the He-211 sometime, with a larger fuselage from the Lindberg 1/64 kit, but I intend to keep the present fuselage. Give me a few days---I may have a FREE fuselage or two for you!

That would be really appreciated, thanks sr.

sequoiaranger

I have two right sides and one left side fuselage for an Italaeri He-111 that I can send you. I think you can cut up the extra fuselage half to "fill in" the ventral gondola or some other body part. I honestly do not need these, so you are welcome to them. I will include the vertical and horizontal stabilizers that you MIGHT be able to use with a 1/72 Mossie tail grafted on the ends to extend it a little. Dunno.

PM me and give me your mailing address.

kitnut617

Quote from: sequoiaranger on October 25, 2008, 09:06:52 AM
I used a Monogram 1/48 Mossie fuselage for my 4-engined Mossie whif.  I wouldn't recommend it for your whif. The Monogram's fuselage is a "racetrack" oval rather than near-round in cross-section. That is, the Monogram Mossie has a bit of slab-side to its fuselage that is inaccurate to the real plane. It was fine for my whif (and, embarrassingly, I had not compared the Monogram kit to real drawings prior to making it) so I have no regrets, but....!

The He-111 has a nice, round cross-section, at least the part aft of the ventral gun tub.

I've been doing a search for Mosquito drawings (found quite a few too) and have made a bit of a discovery, while at any one station from the trailing edge of the wing to the rear end of the fuselage they have almost the same dimension side to side as top to bottom at the widest point BUT they are not round, in fact there's no section anywhere on the fuselage which is exactly round except maybe some very close sections right in the nose area in front of the windsheild.  What I've found is that the fuselage is 'egg-shaped' all the way through from the cockpit to the end of the rear fuselage.

So your 'oval' fuselage might be closer to the real thing afterall.

sequoiaranger

>What I've found is that the fuselage is 'egg-shaped' all the way through from the cockpit to the end of the rear fuselage.
So your 'oval' fuselage [Monogram Mossie] might be closer to the real thing after all.<

Perhaps, but the Monogram Mossie's "slab" sides are parallel to each other (more like a Navy ship hatchway), rather than the "egg-shape" (a continuous curve all the way around) you might want.

I am not precisely sure what the He-111's cross-section is like (it's "rounded", but maybe not really "round"), but I will send the fuselages/tailplanes to you anyway for whatever they are worth for your whif.

kitnut617

Hmm! if they're that bad I see what you mean, but the He.111 fuselages will definitely help whatever way it goes.  Thanks again Craig.

kitnut617

I don't usually do the eBay thing but there was this for sale that I just won, although I was the only bidder -----  It will come in very handy for what I want to do.

It's a G.R.Duval drawing and the sheet is 850mm wide, that would be on a 24"x36" piece of paper and I was doing a bit of scaling from the small print off I did (which BTW is virtually unreadable because of the low resolution of the pic) and the drawing is around 1/16 scale, I'll find out for sure soon enough.  Then I can take it to my bro's workshop and print some copies to 1/60 scale.

GTX

My quick Sabre Mossie:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

How about a 3 motor Mossie:

Regards,

Greg