De Havilland Mosquito

Started by Daryl J., January 07, 2004, 09:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raafif

ooH !! Greg,
             I must add those long wings to my TR.33 conversion ! :thumbsup:
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

The Wooksta!

Won't work.  The weight penalty of the wood needed to make a spar strong enough goes against it.   What isn't so widely known about the Mosquito is the number lost due to structural failure of the wing.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

ChernayaAkula

I'm always amazed by some people's abilities to look directly through a rough profile sketch, able to accurately visualise the inner workings of said piece of hardware from an engineering point of view and then knowing why it won't work!

Mad skillz!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

sequoiaranger

I have a Mossie whif (Navalized, Highball-equipped, 5-bladed props on Griffons, etc.) in the works (in my mind, + materials gathering). I am SERIOUSLY thinking of discarding the iconic windscreen and using twin bubbles for the canopy, like the American B-42/43 bomber (seen below). Why, you ask? Just because it would look VERY different!!

Wooksta---is your "Dagger" Mossie done?? Pics?
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

The Wooksta!

No.  Got abandoned last year when I took my time out.  Plus I need certain resin conversion bits (Paragon's original Mosquito prototype that fits the Airfix kit - which I DID have!) for the nacelles that are proving difficult to find.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

sequoiaranger

Any possibility of using the Rapier nacelles from the Fairey Seafox (Matchbox kit?) instead?

kitnut617

Quote from: GTX on July 16, 2011, 02:11:25 PM
After reading of the flight trials between the Westland Welkin and the dH Mosqito and then taking a certain gentleman's statement that "Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings", I quickly developed the following High Altitude creation:

Regards,

Greg

I think if I was to do that Greg, I would run the trailing edge all the way from the fuselage point to your new wingtip position.  While researching my DH.101 project, I found that the wing of the DH.98 (Mosquito), DH.101, DH.102 were built all in one piece and I don't see why this couldn't too.  The DH.101 and DH.102 were designed at the same time as the DH.103 (Hornet) and that aircraft's wingspar was a wood/metal composite, so the idea could go along the same route.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

Quote from: sequoiaranger on July 17, 2011, 09:23:14 AM
Any possibility of using the Rapier nacelles from the Fairey Seafox (Matchbox kit?) instead?

I've got the engines and a mould, it's the back end for the short early nacelles that I need.  I decided on the Airfix kit as A: I've LOADS of them and B: the plastic is thick and thus able to withstand major sanding, which I'll have to do to take out the wing root radiators.  The Paragon conversion that I want hasn't been available for about 11 years and the one he had out recently (before he packed in again) was intended for the Tamiya kit and thus won't fit.  TBH, I think the whole thing will be a mess.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 17, 2011, 07:47:08 AM
Won't work.  The weight penalty of the wood needed to make a spar strong enough goes against it.   What isn't so widely known about the Mosquito is the number lost due to structural failure of the wing.

Tut, tut......

This is Whiffworld, remember?  ;D :lol:

They probably used the ultra-strong type of spruce that's only found in the far North of Sweden and probably lengths were flown to the UK using the BOAC Mosquitos.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

What isn't so widely known about the Mosquito is the number lost due to structural failure of the wing.

That's not so much down to the Mossie as DH as a manufacturer.  IIRC there was hardly a single DH built type that didn't suffer catastrophic structural failure at some time in it's history.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

raafif

AFAIK the glues were the problem with the Mossie structure.  One ex-Qantas engineer told me he watched one of the last Mossies taking off in the '50s ... aircraft starts off, gains speed ... tail lifts .... one engine seperates & powers several feet ahead of the rest of the airframe  ;D
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: raafif on July 17, 2011, 05:39:25 PM
.......one engine seperates & powers several feet ahead of the rest of the airframe  ;D

Now there's an idea for a Whiff....

A single Merlin powered Mossie, single seater perhaps, but with the engine mounted assymetrically. Tophe would LOVE it!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 17, 2011, 11:51:02 AM

Tut, tut......

This is Whiffworld, remember?  ;D :lol:

They probably used the ultra-strong type of spruce that's only found in the far North of Sweden and probably lengths were flown to the UK using the BOAC Mosquitos.  ;)

I now have a slightly surreal image of an Indian Air Force Mossie with  a TEAK mainspar
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

sequoiaranger

>A single Merlin powered Mossie, single seater perhaps, but with the engine mounted assymetrically. Tophe would LOVE it!<

Yes, make a BV-141-esque "Mosquito", maybe a single, souped-up Napier Sabre engine (or Crecy?) to power it to keep the HP somewhat near the twin-Merlin. Herewith a crude example:

GTX

What about one with an embedded engine arrangement:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!