De Havilland Mosquito

Started by Daryl J., January 07, 2004, 09:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

sequoiaranger

For better or worse (sounds like getting married), my next whif project will be a "Mosquito" license-manufactured by the American company Fairchild, for use on large American carriers as a "torpedo-bomber", using a pair of "Highball" bouncing bombs. "My" Mossie will be a little elongated (extended about a foot-and-a-half in front of, and behind, the wings) and have the "halibut" canopies reminiscent of the Douglas B-42's. Engines will most likely be Packard/Griffons driving five-bladed, handed props. Livery will be the summer-of-'43 tri-color camo with red-outline Stars-and-bars. Build thread, etc. will be done in another section. But here is the top view:

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

sequoiaranger

As "promised", here is my Highball Sea Mossie derivative I call the "Fairchild Flounder". A long-necked, halibut-eyed, Griffon-powered, and "endowed" Mosquito with a Vee Tail:

Build thread at:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,33114.msg527189.html#msg527189

PR19_Kit

Carried out in the manner of all the best lectures.  :thumbsup:

'Tell 'em what you're going to say, say it, and tell 'em what you just said'..... ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Daryl J.

Real world question:  what is a good source that covers the development of the Mosquito?

TIA,
Daryl J.

The Wooksta!

The Richard Franks SAMI Mosquito Datafile -IF you can find a copy. Full of niggly errors but a handy one stop source.

The Sharp/Bowyer book is worth every penny.  Make sure you get the modern reprint as it covers the post war aircraft. Not quite the equivalent of the Morgan/Shacklady book on the Spitfire but damned close.

Finally, the two volumes of Mosquito: The Illustrated History by Stuart Howe and Ian Thirsk are MUST HAVES.  All photos and many of them very valuable.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Daryl J.

kitnut617

Another very good source is the SAM Publications Aviation Guide book, Mosquito FB.VI by Dave Brown.

And the two volumes of the Squadron/Signal Mosquito in Action have lots of good reference photos, one volume is of all the Fighter variants, and the other is of all the Bomber variants
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

tigercat

How about a Mosquito Amphibian for the Pacific War

pyro-manic

The problem with that is you'd lose the Mossie's biggest benefit - speed. Adding floats or a hull would make it very draggy and slow. Unless you can devise a cunning system of retractable floats - perhaps similar to the Blackburn B-20 - that would keep it sleek and fast.

The effect of seawater and tropical heat on the wooden structure would also have to be considered, of course.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

KJ_Lesnick

sequoiaranger

QuoteFor better or worse (sounds like getting married), my next whif project will be a "Mosquito" license-manufactured by the American company Fairchild, for use on large American carriers as a "torpedo-bomber", using a pair of "Highball" bouncing bombs.

Why not use it for both torpedo-bombing and maritime-patrol?  Could it do dive bombing?

Quote"My" Mossie will be a little elongated (extended about a foot-and-a-half in front of, and behind, the wings) and have the "halibut" canopies reminiscent of the Douglas B-42's.

Why such a canopy set-up?  Why not just use the same cockpit the fighter-bomber versions of the Mossie had?

QuoteEngines will most likely be Packard/Griffons driving five-bladed, handed props.

Why not some kind of contra-rotation system with either three or four blades apiece?  It would provide extra thrust per horsepower than would a single row prop as I understand it. 

Also, why a V-tail?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

sequoiaranger

Re: "Flounder"--

>Why not use it for both torpedo-bombing and maritime-patrol?<  

No reason not to use for "patrol", but it would behoove one to add search radar, etc.--maybe a specialty land-based version.  The carrier-based "Flounder" wasn't built for that. As for torpedoes, the "Highballs" are presumably more effective than torpedoes, and could be launched at a higher airspeed (WHY would you want to linger in gun range--with a mere torpedo--any longer than you had to??).

>Could it do dive bombing?<

Yes, I suppose. It had a "bellows"-type air brake in the rear fuselage. Bomb-bay not really equipped for bombs to dive with, though.

>Why such a canopy set-up?  Why not just use the same cockpit the fighter-bomber versions of the Mossie had? Why not some kind of contra-rotation system with either three or four blades apiece?  Also, why a V-tail?<

Simple--'Cause that's the way I wanted it!! Feel free to employ your modifications on YOUR Mossie! I'd love to see it when it's built!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sequoiaranger on February 26, 2012, 03:08:24 PM
Simple--'Cause that's the way I wanted it!! Feel free to employ your modifications on YOUR Mossie!

NICE one!  :thumbsup: :bow: :cheers: ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KJ_Lesnick

sequoiaranger

QuoteNo reason not to use for "patrol"

Actually there would be.  The Mosquito had a fantastic range, and you could definitely use these aircraft to waste both military and transport ships.  The TBM's were used for anti-submarine patrol.
Quoteit would behoove one to add search radar, etc.--maybe a specialty land-based version.

When you talk about a search-radar, do you mean something like the H2S?  If so, some DH.98's were fitted with those.

QuoteAs for torpedoes, the "Highballs" are presumably more effective than torpedoes, and could be launched at a higher airspeed (WHY would you want to linger in gun range--with a mere torpedo--any longer than you had to??).

Good point actually, plus you could also do skip-bombing or masthead bombing attacks with the Mosquito.  Normally this tactic was done with light/medium bomber types like the A-20 (which despite being an attack pane was also considered a light-bomber), and the B-25.  The Mosquito was considered a medium bomber by the RAF standards (and would probably be a light bomber by the USAAF's standards)

QuoteYes, I suppose. It had a "bellows"-type air brake in the rear fuselage. Bomb-bay not really equipped for bombs to dive with, though.

I thought you could dive bomb with any type of bomb?  The Mosquito had the capacity for either 3,000 to 4,000 pounds of bombs (4,000 with a cookie, and 3,000 normal).

QuoteSimple--'Cause that's the way I wanted it!! Feel free to employ your modifications on YOUR Mossie! I'd love to see it when it's built!

LOL!
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

KJ_Lesnick

Just out of curiousity, could a DH Mosquito have met the range if it was powered by a radial like an R-1830?