De Havilland Mosquito

Started by Daryl J., January 07, 2004, 09:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famvburg

Aerodynamically or otherwise?

Quote from: Caveman on March 12, 2012, 09:41:52 AM
Not always true. Some have both engines as critical!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: famvburg on March 12, 2012, 09:18:59 AM
   Trust me, unless you have counter rotating props, you have torque & it has to be corrected with rudder. Ask a multi-engined rated pilot rather than modelers. Without reading the article, critical engine has to do with prop rotation direction & which side of the a/c it's on. An a/c with counter rotating engines has no critical engine, but that's different from having torque.

I think I already said that........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Daryl J.

How long could a Mosquito handle Hanoi before rotting?   

The Wooksta!

Look at the Mosquitos in the far east post war.  Not long!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

famvburg

I guess you did, kind of.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 12, 2012, 10:18:13 AM
   Trust me, unless you have counter rotating props, you have torque & it has to be corrected with rudder. Ask a multi-engined rated pilot rather than modelers. Without reading the article, critical engine has to do with prop rotation direction & which side of the a/c it's on. An a/c with counter rotating engines has no critical engine, but that's different from having torque.

I think I already said that........

Hobbes

Trust me,

I'll take you at your word, but I'm still looking for an explanation of how this works, since it goes against all of my physics knowledge. I'm probably overlooking something, but what?

famvburg

maybe this will help?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-factor

Quote from: Hobbes on March 12, 2012, 01:41:21 PM
     Trust me,

I'll take you at your word, but I'm still looking for an explanation of how this works, since it goes against all of my physics knowledge. I'm probably overlooking something, but what?

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on March 12, 2012, 01:41:21 PM
I'm probably overlooking something, but what?

You're thinking of each engine as a separate structure and not connected to the fuselage or its opposite number. The torque effect of each engine acts on the WHOLE structure and not just itself and the fuselage.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

KJ_Lesnick

Hobbes

QuoteA high fuel fraction means less weapons load. Not a problem for a gunfighter like the Zero, but doesn't bode well for a bomber.

What are you talking about?  Most of the bombers had higher fuel fractions than the fighters did including the Mosquito.

perttime

QuoteTotally agreed, and the Corsair, Bearcat, Thunderbolt and B-17 were handicapped by their radials...  ;D

Well, the B-17 and B-24 had less range than the Avro Lancaster did technically

PR19_Kit

QuoteThe Hornet and Twin Mustang had handed props and engines but very few other twins of the WWII period did.

The P-38 did...

Caveman

QuoteNot always true. Some have both engines as critical!

The P-38..

Daryl J.

QuoteHow long could a Mosquito handle Hanoi before rotting?

Dunno, but I don't know if it really matters as I was thinking of a fictitious design with a radial engine and metal-construction.  I don't know if there'd innately be any weight problems if it was designed right.

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Daryl J.

QuoteLook at the Mosquitos in the far east post war.  Not long!

Got it.  Thanks again.  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 12, 2012, 06:35:46 PM

PR19_Kit

QuoteThe Hornet and Twin Mustang had handed props and engines but very few other twins of the WWII period did.

The P-38 did...

The operative words in my posting were 'VERY FEW'..........

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 12, 2012, 06:35:46 PM
Hobbes

QuoteA high fuel fraction means less weapons load. Not a problem for a gunfighter like the Zero, but doesn't bode well for a bomber.

What are you talking about?  Most of the bombers had higher fuel fractions than the fighters did including the Mosquito

You were talking about taking a Mosquito and increasing its fuel fraction. If you do that inside the existing airframe, a decreased weapons load is inevitable.

Hobbes

Quote from: famvburg on March 12, 2012, 02:32:33 PM

maybe this will help?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-factor

P-factor is a separate phenomenon (asymmetric forces acting on the control surfaces) that will cause a similar effect (roll depending on the power setting).

KJ_Lesnick

Hobbes

QuoteYou were talking about taking a Mosquito and increasing its fuel fraction. If you do that inside the existing airframe, a decreased weapons load is inevitable.

This design isn't necessarily going to be an exact copy of a Mosquito with a radial and a higher fuel fraction.  I'm talking about a different design that is designed around the same concept fictitiously in the same era.

BTW: When were the first laminar flow foils like those used on the P-51 first researched?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.