De Havilland Mosquito

Started by Daryl J., January 07, 2004, 09:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caveman

I think that Prandtl was the first to look into laminar boundary layers but im not sure if he actually designed a wing with one. I guess you require a wing with an adequately fine surface finish to it so its realistically going to have to be a polished metal surface rather then fabric. That probably limits the earliest that people could be reasonably experimenting...

edit:
the following links to a paper on boundary layers section 4.1 is of interest

QuoteThese findings led to development of to laminar flow airfoils by Jacob (1939) and others at NACA laboratories.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:vl_oZNZo9f8J:www.ias.ac.in/sadhana/Pdf2005Aug/PE1287.pdf+&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESipD4LsMzgc8HCpJpQp9uGbHxpA22u-vbPMaBj___lG3eSEcsd-yEQumKqx-XMYwJfVZSNiItlZd0ARhXqCyCsaHXe2du3JetY-qhfvCkmRTQbpiNRtzE2HuQLSEn64yVFUe8F4&sig=AHIEtbTuPhg-JO94xS3kYnKZ8JXsineYKA
secretprojects forum migrant

Daryl J.

A Morko-Mosquito would definitely need a ski option.

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

perttime

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 14, 2012, 08:48:42 AM
Morko? ???
That's from the Finnish nickname for a Morane Saulnier 406 (or thereabouts) fitted with  captured Klimov M-105P engines during WW2:

Mörkö-Morane, or Ogre Morane
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morane-Saulnier_M.S.406#M.C3.B6rk.C3.B6-Morane
http://www.aviastar.org/air/finland/morane_morko.php

pyro-manic

Aha, thanks. So what's a Morko-Mossie then? Because Klimovs would be a big step back....

perttime

Some of the later Klimovs look pretty OK, compared with a Merlin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klimov_VK-107

If you put DB 605s on it, I don't think you could call it a Mörkö...

Daryl J.

Yep...a retrograde refit indeedy.    As would be Half-Merlins and two bladed props.  Or fabric wings, etc.   But a Finn Mosquito with a Klimov pair might startle a few over on the other sites, especially with proper presentation.    :lol: :lol: :lol:

pyro-manic

Heyford-style, with a pair of Kestrels and a lower wing with bomb cells and spatted fixed gear? Oh, and an open cockpit with a Lewis gun at the back.

perttime

Something was ringing bells...

A Finnish Mosquite copy with DB 605 engines is actually a "real" could-have-been: VL Vihuri. The name "Vihuri" was later given to a trainer that was actually built.

An explanation, copied straight from a Russian site:

Vihuri was intend to be new high-speed bomber to FAF. It actual was an copy of de Havilland Mosquito. Planning begun in 1942, and main idea was to produce a bomber fast with wooden construction. VL asked to hand over an captured Mosquito from Germans, but it is not in known, does germans reply in any how.
Vihuri was aerodynamic identical whit Mosquito, but structure was finish design. Two DB 605 AM engines ( same as ME-109G ) and also other systems might be taken from "stock", for example Blenheim and captured soviet bombers. Vihuri was newer build because Germany sold Ju-88A-4s to FAF and bomb fleet was standardized to Ju-88. Later in the 1950s name Vihuri was given to advanced trainer.
Note: VL= Valtion Lentokonetehdas;
State Aircraft Factory. Specification ( estimated )
Type: Two seat bomber
Powerplant: two 1475 hp Daimler Benz DB 605 AM
Maximum speed: 600 km/h at 4000 m
Service ceiling: 11000 m
Range: 2500 km
Empty weight: 6900 kg
Max. Take-off weight: 11500 kg
Span: 16.51 mLength: 12.47 m
Armament: 1000 kg bomb-load

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_7137.html

Daryl J.

After I win the Lottery I may have to splurge for a pair of sacrificial 1/48 LaGG-3's for the engines and props, toss on some resin exhausts and actually make the Morko-Mosquito from Tamiya's offering.  (Now how in the world does one add umlauts to the 'o' letters???)   

Cheers,
Daryl J. 

perttime

Quote from: Daryl J. on March 14, 2012, 07:57:34 PM(Now how in the world does one add umlauts to the 'o' letters???)
My keyboard has "Ö right next to "L". I bet your's doesn't ;) My top row of letters ends I O P Å ¨ ...

In MS Word you can find special characters in the Insert menu. Windows has a Character map under Programs > Accessories.

famvburg

(Now how in the world does one add umlauts to the 'o' letters???)
Press the Alt key, then numbers 0214 from the number pad, not the top row of the keyboard, release the Alt key. That should do it.

Daryl J.

That's all OK, but I have a Mac...   :blink:

Caveman

alt+u will give you some umlauts on screen and then press any letter you like and it will umlaut that letter
öïÿëäü
secretprojects forum migrant

Daryl J.

Mörko.

That did it.  Many thanks.

And now back to the Mossies:     

I think one outfitted to bring some Johnnie Walker Black Label to the troops and given suitable paint, say just the vertical tail, would be flat out classy.