De Havilland Mosquito

Started by Daryl J., January 07, 2004, 09:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

While looking for some Mossie photo's I found this one on the net, a Yugoslav AF Mossie with a Torpedo.

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

James

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 12, 2012, 03:48:15 AM
Nice find.
Certainly is. Don't recall ever seeing a Mossie with a torpedo.

The Wooksta!

Sea Mosquito TR33?  Plenty of photos of the early ones.

Coastal Command wanted torpedo armed FB.VIs in the timescale before Brigand, although the latter had more range.  I've one to finish - plus a Brigand TF1 come to think of it - and it wouldn't take too much work.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Aircav

Seem's they were Yugoslav built Letor-2 torpedoes.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

James

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 12, 2012, 07:02:51 AM
Sea Mosquito TR33?  Plenty of photos of the early ones.

Yes, you're right. :thumbsup:

You know, I forgot about the Sea Mossies. :banghead: Obvious really.

The Wooksta!

They were only really under the prototypes, although all the TR.33s could carry them, as they went into second lines duties very quickly.  The TF.37s were intended for some early guided missile, hence the odd nose, which never arrived and it never carried a torpedo either.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Daryl J.

USN grey/white, US East Coast.   

pyro-manic

WWII "Atlantic" scheme, or 50s/60s?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

The Wooksta!

I've been toying with a British "Atantic" scheme for a while for the NF13, but anything later than WWII is really a non starter - the RAF got out of maritime strike as soon as it could post war, hence the Brigand TF1s completed being refitted as bombers. 

Brigand had more range, better crew layout, better radar in a nose designed to take it with ease and was designed from the start as a torpedo bomber.  Coastal Brigands surviving into the 50s (until they started falling out of the sky) is believable.

USN?  No, for similar reasons but more because the US had better aircraft designed from the ground up as carrier based strike aircraft.  Plus they wouldn't rely on the UK for aircraft.

The Sea Mosquito really was a lash up and would have been a real handful on landing and take off for the average pilot.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Daryl J.

Atlantic, WW-II.   For whatever reason, oh for instance successful sabotage for argument's sake,  P-38 production is reduced and the Americans have dHC build up some additional Mosquitos for land based use off the US East Coast.   Now, we'll all agree that the chances of getting a USAAC/RCAF/RAF aircraft into the USN might be lower than highly improbable, but I just like the idea of Mossies nailing a Ü-boot or twö off New England's coast.   

pyro-manic

Lockheed Hudson doesn't happen (or they start their shady dealings a few decades early and get in a spot of trouble) and a short-term need is fulfilled by a batch bought north of the border. But plausibility be damned - it'd look great, go for it! ;D
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

NARSES2

Quote from: Daryl J. on July 07, 2013, 11:00:47 AM
USN grey/white, US East Coast.   

One of my favourite schemes, but strangely I've only done the Airabonita in it  :blink: Need to do more...real & wif.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Runway ? ...

Have we done leading edge slats.
Prototype with them pumped all the way to the stops.

Found during restoration.

Sweet.

wuzak

Quote from: Runway ? ... on January 30, 2014, 02:58:39 PM
Have we done leading edge slats.
Prototype with them pumped all the way to the stops.

Found during restoration.

Sweet.

Interesting. Had you not heard about them before? They are mentioned in some of the books I have.

"Note the Handley Page leading edge slot, locked in position with metal bands. W4050 was the only Mosquito fitted with Handley Page slots, but the aircraft's stall behaviour deemed them unecessary - look at W4050 today and you can still see them (complete with original locking bands) beneath the leading edge fabric."

Ian Thirsk, de Havilland Mosquito, An Illustrated History, Volume 2, P.33.