De Havilland Mosquito

Started by Daryl J., January 07, 2004, 09:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

KJ_Lesnick

Everybody

I was curious if anybody would have an interest either here, on secret projects, or other for me to post a set of specs of all the Mosquito variants.  Since I'm reading through the book, I was thinking of compiling a fairly comprehensive list of all the variants and sub-variants where available.

Data I'd like to include would be the following

• Tare/OEW, Fuel & Oil Weight, Payload & Armament Weights; Loaded & Maximum Takeoff Weights
  • Baseline Dimensions: Length, Span, Height
  • Aerodynamic Data: Wing-Area, T/C Ratio, Aspect-Ratio, Wing-Loadings, Tail Area & Span if available
  • Nacelle Type: The short nacelle seemed to come in two variants: The prototype used a short-nacelle, then a slightly longer one; then the long-nacelled variants which characterized the production variants (except PR1) which had the divided flap
  • Propulsion System: Engine variant, supercharger-type, propeller type, and exhaust system details (there were many different exhaust arrangements over the course of the aircraft's development)
  • Notes: Specific details that were unusual to a variant

Zenrat

Would this then be an accurate description: "Total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables such as motor oil, transmission oil, coolant, air conditioning refrigerant, and a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo."
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

dogsbody

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on July 31, 2016, 06:18:24 PM
Everybody

I was curious if anybody would have an interest either here, on secret projects, or other for me to post a set of specs of all the Mosquito variants.  Since I'm reading through the book, I was thinking of compiling a fairly comprehensive list of all the variants and sub-variants where available.

Data I'd like to include would be the following

• Tare/OEW, Fuel & Oil Weight, Payload & Armament Weights; Loaded & Maximum Takeoff Weights
  • Baseline Dimensions: Length, Span, Height
  • Aerodynamic Data: Wing-Area, T/C Ratio, Aspect-Ratio, Wing-Loadings, Tail Area & Span if available
  • Nacelle Type: The short nacelle seemed to come in two variants: The prototype used a short-nacelle, then a slightly longer one; then the long-nacelled variants which characterized the production variants (except PR1) which had the divided flap
  • Propulsion System: Engine variant, supercharger-type, propeller type, and exhaust system details (there were many different exhaust arrangements over the course of the aircraft's development)
  • Notes: Specific details that were unusual to a variant

Zenrat

Would this then be an accurate description: "Total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables such as motor oil, transmission oil, coolant, air conditioning refrigerant, and a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo."

Why?

"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

wuzak

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on July 31, 2016, 06:18:24 PMNacelle Type: The short nacelle seemed to come in two variants: The prototype used a short-nacelle, then a slightly longer one; then the long-nacelled variants which characterized the production variants (except PR1) which had the divided flap

Only W4050 had anything other than the long nacelle, used on all but the first few production examples, or the original short nacelle.

W4050 was being used to investigate stability issues caused by turbulence from the nacelle interfering with the tail plane and elevator. Some of the experiments used spoilers/flow conditioners on the sides of the nacelles and/or underneath the wings.

kitnut617

Quote from: wuzak on August 01, 2016, 04:57:05 PM
Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on July 31, 2016, 06:18:24 PMNacelle Type: The short nacelle seemed to come in two variants: The prototype used a short-nacelle, then a slightly longer one; then the long-nacelled variants which characterized the production variants (except PR1) which had the divided flap

Only W4050 had anything other than the long nacelle, used on all but the first few production examples, or the original short nacelle.

W4050 was being used to investigate stability issues caused by turbulence from the nacelle interfering with the tail plane and elevator. Some of the experiments used spoilers/flow conditioners on the sides of the nacelles and/or underneath the wings.

The prototype still exists at the Mosquito Museum. In it's present guise, it's nothing like what it was when it first flew. It was used to test just about every modification all the production versions got.  As Wuzak says, it was the only one to have the original short nacelles, it doesn't have them today -----.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

wuzak

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 01, 2016, 05:12:07 PM
Quote from: wuzak on August 01, 2016, 04:57:05 PM

The prototype still exists at the Mosquito Museum. In it's present guise, it's nothing like what it was when it first flew. It was used to test just about every modification all the production versions got.  As Wuzak says, it was the only one to have the original short nacelles, it doesn't have them today -----.

No, the PR.I and B.IV series i all had the original short nacelle. Not that there were many of them.

Only W4050 had the configurations trialled before settling on the long nacelle that featured on almost all  production Mosquitoes.

wuzak

I believe that W4050 is currently undergoing a restoration to one of its many configurations. Maybe with Merlin 61s?

W4050 was also the only Mosquito to have leading edge slats. Early on it was decided they were not needed and they were wired shut. W4050 still has them today.

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: dogsbody on August 01, 2016, 10:43:03 AMWhy?
To which one?  I figure it could be a useful and informative thing.
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: wuzak on August 01, 2016, 05:48:20 PM

I believe that W4050 is currently undergoing a restoration to one of its many configurations. Maybe with Merlin 61s?

They've done that already. There were pics of the finished article in the UK aviation press late last year. The two stage Merlin engine nacelles are painted RED with yellow undersides and dark earth/dark green upper camo.

See here for pics and more details :- https://warbirdtails.net/2015/11/28/mosquito-prototype-w4050-roll-out-28th-november-2015/
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

wuzak

Thanks Kit.

Of note in those photos is that the leading edge slats are extended! Apart from the first flight, my information is that they were wired shut.

As W4050 was the only Mosquito to have the slats, it proves that the wings, at least, are original!

In that configuration W4050 managed an all-out level speed of ~440mph.

KiwiZac

Not really Whif material, but the newest airworthy Mosquito restoration is nearing flight. Engine runs have been happening over the last week. And, as it's all happening 5hr drive from me, I'll be up there once she flies so I can catch some of the testing! This is a T.III.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

Quote from: KiwiZac on August 21, 2016, 02:35:56 PM
Not really Whif material, but the newest airworthy Mosquito restoration is nearing flight. Engine runs have been happening over the last week. And, as it's all happening 5hr drive from me, I'll be up there once she flies so I can catch some of the testing! This is a T.III.

Shame she'll be emigrating.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

Quote from: zenrat on August 22, 2016, 03:25:11 AM
Quote from: KiwiZac on August 21, 2016, 02:35:56 PM

Shame she'll be emigrating.

That depends on where you are, seeing as her new home is about ten miles from my house
I won't be complaining.  ;D

Also as aircraft in the pattern for Paine Field regularly fly over my house I may even see her in flight
over head.  ;D

KiwiZac

I live in hope that one day a NZ-based flying Mosquito will exist. Until then, I count myself very lucky to be able to roadtrip and see each one get restored and test flown (thank goodness for weekends and disposable income!). This one won't hang around long but the plan for the next project - an ex-RNZAF example, no less - is to have it ready in time to attend one of the big local airshows. Fingers crossed!

Jon - I really do need to come visit you one day!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

jcf

Sure, you'd be more than welcome.