A very peculiar panther

Started by sudzonic, May 31, 2011, 11:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sudzonic

Hay gang this is a project for another site, I am still working on the back story for it. Can you tell whats different about it??

;)
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul!

IanH

Kinky - 105/20pdr perchance?

Hman

If this going to be a post 45 build?
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

Jacques Deguerre

The shape of the barrel and the bore evacuator suggests a 20 pounder main gun. I also see what looks to be a periscopic primary gun sight, while IIRC, the Germans tended to prefer telescopic sights well into the post-war era.  If that's not it, then I dunno 'cause I'm not well versed in Panther-y peculiarities.
Some clever and amusing quote goes here.

GTX

Apart from the main gun and what appears to be a different sight (or similar) in front of the commander's position, I also note different oppening driver/gunner hatches.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

NARSES2

OK it's probably just me, but is it a squeeze gun ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

IanH

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 02, 2011, 07:20:11 AM
Strap Back - looking at it, I would say that it does appear to use the Gehrlich Principle - I take it that Tungsten is not a problem (or Depleted Uranium?)

Jacques Deguerre

Quote from: IanH on June 02, 2011, 01:02:50 PM
Strap Back - looking at it, I would say that it does appear to use the Gehrlich Principle - I take it that Tungsten is not a problem (or Depleted Uranium?)

I dunno guys. The 20 pounder has a pretty pronounced taper near the breach/mantlet end. Here's a photo of a Charioteer from the Latrun collect (via Wikipedia) and you can see the taper and the distinctive "finned" bore evacuator typical of late model 20 pounders.
*LINK*

IanH

Quote from: Jacques Deguerre on June 02, 2011, 08:22:45 PM

I dunno guys. The 20 pounder has a pretty pronounced taper near the breach/mantlet end. Here's a photo of a Charioteer from the Latrun collect (via Wikipedia) and you can see the taper and the distinctive "finned" bore evacuator typical of late model 20 pounders.
*LINK*
Those fins are local mods - it actually gives the arcs of fire for Cannister...

rickshaw

Quote from: IanH on June 03, 2011, 04:59:35 AM
Quote from: Jacques Deguerre on June 02, 2011, 08:22:45 PM

*LINK*
Those fins are local mods - it actually gives the arcs of fire for Cannister...

Interesting.  I wonder how often the Jordanians had to fire SPLINTEX out of their Charioteers?  The RAAC's Centurions which saw service in Vietnam and did fire large quantities of SPLINTEX had two or three small vanes welded only on top of the fume extractor on their 20 Pdrs and they were all parallel.  I was always given to understand they were small weights used for balancing the gun.  That Charioteer has I assume three vanes (although two are only visible) and they seem to be welded at right angles and considerably larger than the Centurion's fume extractor vanes.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

IanH

They may have been parallel along the Fume Extractor, but their position (on Aussie Cents) gives a Central aiming point and the Left and Right of Arc - outside of that is safe...
I have no idea what SPLINTEX is, TBH, but it presumably has the same effect as Cannister...

rickshaw

Quote from: IanH on June 03, 2011, 12:43:41 PM
They may have been parallel along the Fume Extractor, but their position (on Aussie Cents) gives a Central aiming point and the Left and Right of Arc - outside of that is safe...
I have no idea what SPLINTEX is, TBH, but it presumably has the same effect as Cannister...

Cannister is like a big shotgun shell.  Basically it fires several hundred ball bearings down the bore of the gun and out the muzzle in a narrow cone.   SPLINTEX is more akin to traditional shrapnel, in that it can be timed to explode beyond the muzzle, in a narrow cone forwards (Shrapnel, named after Lt. Henry Shrapnel of the RA was basically no longer used after WWI) but whereas canister and Shrapnel utilised balls, SPLINTEX utilises flechettes.   Excessive use of Canister can end up with eroded bores and destroyed rifling (in a rifled gun) and even the loss of the muzzle brake, if fitted (as several American tank crews found in Vietnam).  The US Army calls SPLINTEX "Beehive".   As such, SPLINTEX does not have an "arc".  So, having aiming vanes on the bore evacuator would be quite pointless.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

IanH

The question is tho Rickshaw, Was SPLINTEX available in 20pdr at that time?

Pablo1965

Jacques Deguerre

Sudzonic, I'd love an update and/or some discussion of what you're doing with this build. Otherwise, we're starting to sound like the guys at Armorama or Missing Lynx! :blink:

Dear God... NOOOOOOO!!!! ;D