It's a Vulcan Jim but, not as we know it!!

Started by albeback, June 01, 2011, 05:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trekaddict

I've been toying with a Vulcan Mk.III and following for my own twisted little world, (basically a stretched and slightly widened fuselage, different inner-wing layout for new Engines and more fuel, along with detachable underwing pylons for either bomb pods or fuel tanks) but now after looking at this I think I need some small wing-tips!    ;D

Btw, I am a man torn between two loves, I like the Lanc and the Vulcan equally!

albeback

Quote from: Cobra on June 01, 2011, 12:10:04 PM
Super Cool & Well Done :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Cue the 'Thunderbirds March' and watch the 'Experts' drop their Shorts ;D Hope to see more Great Work like this :cheers: :cheers: Dan

Thanks Dan. And, thank you to everyone else for the kind comments. If I may now address some of the individual comments - I'm sure those concerned will recognise the points raised  ;

1) I used the Italeri 1/72 scale Tornado GR1 as the donor kit for the cockpit. I haven't yet permanently installed any seats. In case anyone is curious, this concept would have a rear crew of 2 behind & below the cockpit . Their ejection seats firing through a frangible panel on the upper fuselage  
2) I had in mind a "stealth " Vulcan - this would be broadly similar but, with the leading edge air intakes sealed & air intakes instead on the upper surface of the wing a la B2! This might be a future project. I could probably modify the air intake parts from the Airfix 1/72 Concorde. It wouldn't be too difficult either to construct a shroud over the engines as means of reducing I R emissions.
3) I couldn't care less if I recieve hate mail from Vulcan purists!! ;D. Each to their own!! I respect their dedication to their pet aeroplane. They should in turn  accept this idea as a "what should/could have been". A tribute even to the excellence of the design.
4) Thank you for the information about the Avro 698

I had intended also to build a basic bomb bay but,I'm afraid I'm very lazy so, it never happened. I'm therefore going to mount external pylons - one under each wing & one either side of the bomb bay.
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

The Rat

Just had to check my wineglass for foreign substances, because I couldn't believe my eyes.  :thumbsup: :cheers: :bow:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Hobbes

QuoteI used the Italeri 1/72 scale Tornado GR1 as the donor kit for the cockpit.

Wow. Just goes to show how tiny the original Vulcan cockpit is in comparison.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: trekaddict on June 01, 2011, 04:41:34 PM

You could re-engine a Vulcan with Merlins.................

.............or a Lanc with Olympuses, then you have the best of both worlds :)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

albeback

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 02, 2011, 03:01:35 AM
Quote from: trekaddict on June 01, 2011, 04:41:34 PM

You could re-engine a Vulcan with Merlins.................

.............or a Lanc with Olympuses, then you have the best of both worlds :)

;D Now, THAT'S an interesting concept!!

albeback

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 01, 2011, 01:09:52 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

... and for his next trick a Klingon Battlecruiser.  ;)

http://www.twitt.org/bldwing.htm

http://aero.stanford.edu/Reports/Nonplanarwings/Configuration.html

I just LOVE that Klingon!! You wouldn't believe for a minute though that the article was a bit of self promotion for Boeing!! Funny how there "vastly superior to Airbus " design still seems to be a paper aeroplane though! ;D. I'm sure I recall that Airbus had, some years ago, already been doing studies on an all wing design for a future aircraft. I certainly don't buy into the rather sour grapes attitude of our transatlantic cousins that they(Airbus) are not innovative!!
Anyway, that's digressing slightly.

You know, it just occurred  to me that a "whif" might be feasible by combining the Vulcan with an airliner type forward fuselage & extended wings............................!!!!!  Hmmmmm!!! :rolleyes:   (mind working overtime!! ;D)

IanH

Quote from: albeback on June 02, 2011, 03:26:39 AM

... and for his next trick a Klingon Battlecruiser;)

I just LOVE that Klingon!! You wouldn't believe for a minute thought that the article was a bit of self promotion for Boeing!! Funny how there "vastly superior to Airbus " design still seems to be a paper aeroplane though! ;D. I'm sure I recall that Airbus had, some years ago, already been doing studies on an all wing design for a future aircraft. I certainly don't buy into the rather sour grapes attitude of our transatlantic cousins that they are not innovative!!

You know, it just occurred  to me that a "whif" might be feasible by combining the Vulcan with an airliner type forward fuselage & extended wings............................!!!!!  Hmmmmm!!! :rolleyes:   (mind working overtime!! ;D)
Military Transport for a 'Light' Scaled Div, perhaps?

albeback

Quote from: IanH on June 02, 2011, 03:31:17 AM
Quote from: albeback on June 02, 2011, 03:26:39 AM

... and for his next trick a Klingon Battlecruiser;)

I just LOVE that Klingon!! You wouldn't believe for a minute thought that the article was a bit of self promotion for Boeing!! Funny how there "vastly superior to Airbus " design still seems to be a paper aeroplane though! ;D. I'm sure I recall that Airbus had, some years ago, already been doing studies on an all wing design for a future aircraft. I certainly don't buy into the rather sour grapes attitude of our transatlantic cousins that they are not innovative!!

You know, it just occurred  to me that a "whif" might be feasible by combining the Vulcan with an airliner type forward fuselage & extended wings............................!!!!!  Hmmmmm!!! :rolleyes:   (mind working overtime!! ;D)
Military Transport for a 'Light' Scaled Div, perhaps?

Interesting! For the purposes of the project, it could be "scaled down" as it were to 1/144. That would make a seriously big transport feasible!

Hmmm.........................!!! It might work!

Calm down now!! ;D

Devilfish

My Vulcan B3, built for a GB elsewhere.

Uses Prowler canopy for a 4 man operation. I deemed 4 men necessary for long haul bombing missions.
Extra pylons for bombs, Sky Shadow and Boz.  Pave Spike fitted and LRMTS
Bomb aimers blister removed

IanH

LOL - the use of the inner wings for personnel leaves the centre section for Cargo - LSVs & the like.  I'd Double Pod the engines tho.

albeback

Quote from: Devilfish on June 02, 2011, 04:29:49 AM
My Vulcan B3, built for a GB elsewhere.

Uses Prowler canopy for a 4 man operation. I deemed 4 men necessary for long haul bombing missions.
Extra pylons for bombs, Sky Shadow and Boz.  Pave Spike fitted and LRMTS
Bomb aimers blister removed

Very neat. The Prowler cockpit looks good on the Vulcan.  My own concept would also have a crew of 4 - with the rear crew below & behind in the original "coal hole". Both with ejection seats  (at last!) exiting through a frangible panel on the roof.

Maverick

Both modifications are superlative.  They really enhance the original beauty of the old girl!

Regards,

Mav

trekaddict

Quote from: Devilfish on June 02, 2011, 04:29:49 AM
*snip*

This is pretty much what I was thinking of, except that due to the Nuclear Nature of it all the canopy would be a tad bit too open.