It's a Vulcan Jim but, not as we know it!!

Started by albeback, June 01, 2011, 05:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Nah, it would use standoff weapons instead of freefall nukes.

Steel Penguin

:thumbsup: looking lovely and the overving concorde limpuses  seems to be aa coman thought out here in wif land
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

albeback

Quote from: Steel Penguin on June 02, 2011, 12:42:02 PM
:thumbsup: looking lovely and the overving concorde limpuses  seems to be aa coman thought out here in wif land

That would be an interesting development! ;D. There might be practical problems with engine accessibility but, where there's a Whif, there's a way!! ;D
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

lenny100

stealth Vulcan my idea of one anyway

up engined also with 4 tsr2 engines afterburners removed and rotary bombbay racks!
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

IanH

Devilfish

Quote from: albeback on June 02, 2011, 05:17:15 AM
Very neat. The Prowler cockpit looks good on the Vulcan.  My own concept would also have a crew of 4 - with the rear crew below & behind in the original "coal hole". Both with ejection seats  (at last!) exiting through a frangible panel on the roof.

Thankyou.  I decided to raise them up as the nuclear capability would have been negligible, as the Royal Navy had our nuclear deterant at the time.  However, the bombbay would hold a rotary dispenser which could carry Tomahawk or similar. (ran out of time to build it tho).  80's and early 90's tech I think would have called for an aircraft this size and with this range to need a 4 man crew.....3 at minimum, as the pilot would need back up on those long haul flights.

albeback

Quote from: Devilfish on June 02, 2011, 11:44:53 PM
Quote from: albeback on June 02, 2011, 05:17:15 AM
Very neat. The Prowler cockpit looks good on the Vulcan.  My own concept would also have a crew of 4 - with the rear crew below & behind in the original "coal hole". Both with ejection seats  (at last!) exiting through a frangible panel on the roof.

Thankyou.  I decided to raise them up as the nuclear capability would have been negligible, as the Royal Navy had our nuclear deterant at the time.  However, the bombbay would hold a rotary dispenser which could carry Tomahawk or similar. (ran out of time to build it tho).  80's and early 90's tech I think would have called for an aircraft this size and with this range to need a 4 man crew.....3 at minimum, as the pilot would need back up on those long haul flights.

I was going to build a bomb bay as well but, being lazy, it never got started!! ;D I've sort of concocted a background story for this one. The redesigned bomb bay would be of modular design - capable of being conformed to suit the mission. E g - 3 x 7 round clips each holding stores of up to 1000lb each ( H E , CLUSTER BOMBS), 2 x 4 round clips each holding 4 x JDAM, LGB or other guided munitions or, a combination of additional fuel tank & whatever munitions the mission required.

Once its finished, my Vulcan will have 4 external hardpoints - 1 either side of the bomb bay & 1 under each wing. These would be rated at (fuselage) 5450 kg each (12000lb) and, (wing) 4545 kg each (10,000 lb) Total disposable load  (including internal) - 20,000 kg. Fanciful? Well, not really because AVRO had designed (but never built) external bomb carriers each holding 12 x 1000lb HE bombs. One to be carried under each wing in addition to internal stores. This would double Vulcan's bomb load.  Doubtless such a massive load would entail taking off with reduced fuel but, as Vulcan was I F R capable, that would not matter.

When completed, my model will have 4 x large external stores. Haven't decided which but, as they will actually be 1/48 items "scaled down" to 1/72, they will be suitably impressive ( I hope!) ;D

In any case, ANYTHING is possible in Whifworld!! ;D

kitnut617

Quote from: albeback on June 03, 2011, 01:06:29 AM

Fanciful? Well, not really because AVRO had designed (but never built) external bomb carriers each holding 12 x 1000lb HE bombs. One to be carried under each wing in addition to internal stores. This would double Vulcan's bomb load.

I've seen diagrams of the carriers Handley Page designed for the Victor like that (appear in a book I have), but not anything for the Vulcan.  Got any pics and such ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

GTX

Great work both of you! :thumbsup:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

albeback

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 03, 2011, 05:37:55 AM
Quote from: albeback on June 03, 2011, 01:06:29 AM

Fanciful? Well, not really because AVRO had designed (but never built) external bomb carriers each holding 12 x 1000lb HE bombs. One to be carried under each wing in addition to internal stores. This would double Vulcan's bomb load.

I've seen diagrams of the carriers Handley Page designed for the Victor like that (appear in a book I have), but not anything for the Vulcan.  Got any pics and such ?

In the book V Force (I think?)  by Andrew Brookes there is a chapter which incluses diagrams of several proposals for an upgraded Vulcan. Fitted with the so called "phase 6) wing, this would have  a crew of 6 ( all with ejection seats!) in an extended forward fuselage. Up to 4 Skybolt missiles could be carried. An alternative proposal was to carry up to 3 Gnat single seat fighters . Another was for external streamlined bomb pods ( one on each wing) accomodating up to 12 x 1000lb bombs each.

albeback

albeback

Quote from: Pablo1965 on June 04, 2011, 02:23:17 PM
This is going well :thumbsup:

Thanks Pablo :cheers:

Since I took that photo, I managed to break one of the wingtips off :banghead:
At that point I decided I needed to seek consolation from my favourite Belgian blonde - Ms Stella Artois  ;D

jcf

Quote from: albeback on June 04, 2011, 02:51:24 PM
Quote from: Pablo1965 on June 04, 2011, 02:23:17 PM
This is going well :thumbsup:

Thanks Pablo :cheers:

Since I took that photo, I managed to break one of the wingtips off :banghead:
At that point I decided I needed to seek consolation from my favourite Belgian blonde - Ms Stella Artois  ;D

Stella ...Stella.  ;D