Concorde Bomber Variant

Started by giraffeboy, June 03, 2011, 10:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiB

My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

kitnut617

Quote from: giraffeboy on June 04, 2011, 07:29:16 AM

And kitnut617, It was your model that inspired me to start!

Hi GB,

Well that's bumped my ego up a bit   :lol: :lol:  Where did you see my build as I don't think I've posted anything about it here.

Quote from: giraffeboy on June 04, 2011, 07:29:16 AM

Looks like a great model, what colour scheme are you going to paint it as? :D

I haven't decided yet, but then again I haven't got any further with it than what my pic shows.  It got packed away when we moved house back in '07 and I haven't seen it since.  Once I get the hobby room sorted out then everything will be unpacked so I can see what I've got on the shelf and what can be displayed etc.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

giraffeboy

Oh, well i think it was Brit modeller, :) I think that the good thing about what if's, is that each one is different. I've tried to look at a lot of different ones, and ive cherry picked the ideas tthat i liked to add to mine :) like for example, i got the idea for the shortened fuselage from yours, and i plan to do the same engine nacelle modifications :) Here's a good blog i found that i use alot, it has some good ideas : http://burntbob.blogspot.com/2009_02_01_archive.html .

giraffeboy

Here's my progress:

very basic detail ( the piping is from a space shuttle!)

this will become the bomb/equipment bay

bottom wing glued

its getting there! i added another antenna/aerial bulge

the wing join isnt great, will have to fill & sand it i think

sorry about the distorted photo :)

ChrisF

Looking forward to seeing what scheme you go for :D

And that "UK serials" list will come very in handy for my secret project...  ;)

Devilfish

Love the idea.  I plan to one day build a bomcorde too. Maybe after my B-70 Valkyrie and fleet of TSR-2s.

The only thing I would say is that by 1977, when you have set your back story to be, the Blue Steel would have been ancient technology.  Maybe a little fettling of the winglets and motors could give you a fresh stand off weapon.....?

As for colour schemes.  I have thought about this for my Valkyrie.  Because of the speed and heat build up, you are limited to black, white or silver.   Unless of course you were going to limit it to short supersonic dashes.....

Rheged

Quote from: Devilfish on June 07, 2011, 01:21:13 AM
The only thing I would say is that by 1977, when you have set your back story to be, the Blue Steel would have been ancient technology.  Maybe a little fettling of the winglets and motors could give you a fresh stand off weapon.....?

Perhaps (given the British sense of humour, and the popular music of the period)  you could call the missile the "Blue Meanie"   It's the airborne version of a missile developed for the SSBNs of Yellow flotilla.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

giraffeboy

Gosh, didnt think of that, thanks! will defo upgrade it :) it shall be called  "Black Steel" ;)

General Melchet

Giraffe fella , I did this version a few years ago using an original issue Airfix Concorde, (based on the prototype) and Arthur Gibson's artwork . Instead of trying to cram a couple of bulky outmoded Blue Steels under the thing I went for two scratchbuilt Grand Slam 2's which after much research would have been appropriate to the time scale, as would X-12's and BS-2's.....

Very tempted to go for the big 1/72nd one but personally I prefer the look of the early aircraft....

Cheers, :cheers:

Melchett....

Might add a tail wheel at some point !

Scratch built Grand Slam 2 Air Launched Ballistic Missiles.

And fitted to aircraft

Clearly, Field Marshal Haig is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin.

giraffeboy

Wow! that really sets a standard... :D great job! i'm already scratchbuilding a few smaller missiles (i shall call these black steels) and the large centre one shall be a bluesteel Mrk 4 made from a bluesteel parts and spares. ) thanks for the great inspiration!

Btw, does anyone know of any place to get some good model filler? ive run out, and i dont want to pay massively for postage :L

Pablo1965

The external armament give to this plane a real military looks but...Do you think the speed could be reduced?
But it don't mind, the plane is rally cool and the scheme is superb. :thumbsup: :cheers: :bow: :bow:

Fulcrum

Quote from: Pablo1965 on June 09, 2011, 02:44:14 PM
The external armament give to this plane a real military looks but...Do you think the speed could be reduced?

What about putting a bomb bay in the bombcorde? That will decrease the amount of drag that any external stores will cause.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

giraffeboy

Finally, its the summer holidays, and I have time to make some progress..... :)

The wings had buckled slightly, so I've re glued the seems and am leaving them to dry. I'm gonna fit the elevons, and will order some milliput to do the nose :)