Holy Grail Kits

Started by GTX, June 03, 2011, 02:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albeback

Quote from: The Rat on June 04, 2011, 05:43:56 AM
Quote from: albeback on June 04, 2011, 05:40:19 AMOne of them will feature here at some point as a R R Trent engined RAF Galaxy C-1.

Enough talk, get to the bench and start on that right away, we want pictures by Friday!  :thumbsup:

;D Love to!!

Just let me get my Avro Vulcan B3 out of the way first!! ;D
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

Tuck

My holy grail kit was finally released by MPM in plastic.  Heinkel 177 in 1/48.

I really want a good 1/72 or 1/48 Arado 232 transport.  Built the 1/72 mach 2 kit....I can almost talk about it now...
"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf

sotoolslinger

UFO Interceptor, Buck Rogers Starfighter.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

albeback

;D

I know I will probably upset just about EVERYBODY here but, my own personal Holy Grail would be for a manufacturer whose kit list featured the following ;

No Spitfires, P51s, P47s, BF109s, FW190s or, come to that, World War 2 fighters of ANY KIND WHATSOEVER!! ;D Totally done to death!! :banghead:

Absolutely, definitely NO F16s,F15s, F18s ( mere mention of any of these sends me on a trip to Yawnorama  City!)

No, I want Lightnings,Buccaneers,Javelins, Vulcans, Victors, Valiants, Brittanias, Argosies, Beverleys, Hastingses ( is that the plural of Hastings?? ;D) ,Yorks, Tudors, Argonauts, Comets,Swifts, Scimitars ( yes, I know about the Xtrakit kits!) Shackletons, VC-10s, Andovers, Belfasts, IL-18s, AN-22s ( to name but a few!!)

Not asking much am I !! :o ;D

Yes, yes, I know some of these are available in kit form but, there's no harm in asking!!  ;D

(sighs) Better go. The men in white coats have arrived............................!!!!!
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

TsrJoe

Frog Bloodhound and Revell Westinghouse Reactor  :blink:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

lenny100

how about some good modern royal navy ships , the type 22, sea wolf mod/ towed array Leanders and type 23 in plastic to go with the airfix invincible, and a good type 82, and stumpy 42s, in the same scale bit fed up with thousands of ww2 Japanese and modern US ships
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

RotorheadTX

Quote from: Thorvic on June 04, 2011, 02:52:40 AM
Quote from: upnorth on June 04, 2011, 02:32:53 AM

Embraer Tucano in Styrene in 1/72.
I know there is at least one resin rendition of it out there by someone, but if Airfix can give us the less used Shorts version in Styrene that sells well enough to reissue, I hardly see what's holding up a styrene rendition of the much more widely used Embraer version.

Premier did the Embraer EMB-312 before they did the Shorts version, so it has been done in plastic although it may be tricky to track down.

Cheers

Geoff

Blast!! I saw all three boxings at the last show here in Texas, and didn't know what the differences were - neither did the seller, so no purchase was made. I hope he shows up at the next get-together!

arkon

have=EP-3E (hasegawa 1/72)cause i worked on em in the navy.VQ-1.
want= USS TEXAS bb-35
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

Jacques Deguerre

MPC Pilgrim manned observatory (Recently reissued).
AMT Leif Ericson galactic cruiser (supposedly being reissued in August '11).
Lindberg Solar space station (I think this is in current or recent production).

Renwal/Revell/Matchbox 1/32 scale M47, M41 and M42 armor kits (yeah, they turn up E-Bay but it would be nice to see them reissued).
Nitto/Blue Tank M8A1 prime mover/cargo tractor (It's a total dog of a kit and I mainly need it for the lower hull and suspension, so its grail status is marginal).

While relatively easy to find, the Tasca's Miyazaki-designed 1/72 scale Bad guy tank #1 and Hasegawa's 1/35 scale Ma.K. Nutcracker (hehehe) hover tank are both on my want list. Perhaps not truly "grails" but definitely items I want and don't yet have.

After years of pining for my favorite body style of the 1932 Ford (the Tudor sedan) in 1/25 scale and searching to no avail for both the Revell "show rod" version and MPC's Switchers version, both kits were finally re-released. Then, Revell releases a new Tudor kit, based on the chassis of their mid-90s '32 series and negated my need for those earlier kits.

My search for Revell Germany's 1/35 scale Italeri-based Leopard 1A5 was going nowhere fast until Italeri re-released the kit last year. I think it's a bit too expensive on the US market but it's still cheaper than what the Revell version was selling for on E-Bay. I bought one when they first came out and add more to the stash as I find good deals on them and have the money.

Of course, there's always more than I'm thinking of at the moment and there is also the wish list of kits I'd like to see made. This list is a good sample, however.
Some clever and amusing quote goes here.

giraffeboy

For me, it would have to be the early airfix 1/144 concorde :) It was based on the prototype drawings, and so it has a short tail, metal visor and different wings. It appears on ebay sometimes, but is nearly always out of my price range :(

The Rat

Quote from: giraffeboy on June 04, 2011, 09:32:54 AM
For me, it would have to be the early airfix 1/144 concorde :) It was based on the prototype drawings, and so it has a short tail, metal visor and different wings. It appears on ebay sometimes, but is nearly always out of my price range :(

Yep, still got that one. Methinks it's about time for stripping and whiffing!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

giraffeboy

I nearly bought one from old model kits for £20, but then the postage was about £15 :O

GTX

Folks,

I think a few of you have forgotten to read the initial post here:

Quote from: GTX on June 03, 2011, 02:43:56 PM
I'm sure we each have our Holy Grail Kit(s) - those kits that do exist, are extremely rare (or at least hard to acquire by yourself) and you absolutely must have.

This isn't a thread about kits you would like someone to release (we already have this thread for those), but rather one about kits you know do exist but rather a rare/hard to find/priced beyond reach etc. 

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

philp

Would love to see the old Aurora Sealab repoped (R2, Polar Lights ?).
One that was on my list was the Aurora Orion but got Moebius' version for a review kit so it is all good :thumbsup:
Also going to get the Lief Erikson
Keep waiting for Revell to rerelease their 1/72nd F-101B so I can do Canada Hawk One (had the decals forever).

Wish someone would make good on their note to release a couple 72nd scale Vautours.  Been wanting to do an Israeli version forever.
Would also like to see new kits of the F-106 and F-102 in 72nd with MTANG markings.
Would also like a 72nd Shilka and M-42 Duster.  An M-41 and M-47 would also be nice.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PR19_Kit

Quote from: giraffeboy on June 04, 2011, 09:32:54 AM

They make an interesting comparison with the production version for sure. I have one of the prototype ones, but the starboard wing tongue is at the wrong incidence angle and needs mucho filing to get the wing to match properly. AFAIK they're all like that as my very first Concorde had the same problem.

Some years ago someone was proposing a resin conversion to backdate the Revell 1/144 Concorde to the prototype,, which would mean you could mix and match noses and tails to make any of the 4 early versions. I never saw the kit produced, it would have had a very small market I reckon.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit