B-70 Valkyrie

Started by Devilfish, June 09, 2011, 11:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I've got the Warbird Tech book on the Valkyrie, it has various pics of the intakes.  There's one that has a couple of guys sat down in one of them, they could easily stand up.  It describes them as being around 7ft in sqaure section by about 80ft long.  The plenum chamber is described as the size of a 'small bedroom', I guess this isfrom the American point of view because it's the size of the largest bedroom in my house!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: IanH on June 10, 2011, 08:39:55 AM
They aren't painted - the tyres are impregnated with Aluminium...

Quite possibly, but I wasn't about to dig a small hole in them to find out! 

As far as modelling is concerned they'd have to be painted......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I have the AMT one in the stash too, mine is going to get its fuselage stretched and where the wing hinges are put either a pair of big scram jets or for trans atmospheric trips a pair of rocket engines. Mine will be a hyper sonic transport aircraft for S.H.A.D.O, and may even carry a smaller shuttle type craft piggy back.
I will be watching this build with interest for sure, just so I know how many angle grinder disks to buy  :wacko:
Cheers
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

IanH

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 10, 2011, 12:36:03 PM
Quote from: IanH on June 10, 2011, 08:39:55 AM
They aren't painted - the tyres are impregnated with Aluminium...

Quite possibly, but I wasn't about to dig a small hole in them to find out! 

As far as modelling is concerned they'd have to be painted......
No Doubt...

anthonyp

Looking good!  The one I got off eBay was partially built, so I didn't get to enjoy some of the fit problems (as the previous owner actually did a nice job).  I was going to turn mine into a flying spacecraft first stage. 

Looking forward to seeing yours completed!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Mossie

Forgot to say, good luck with the build!  I've often thought of picking up this beast but baulked at the work required.  Anyone who takes this on has gone some b@lls!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

IanH

Quote from: Mossie on June 11, 2011, 02:46:40 AM
Forgot to say, good luck with the build!  I've often thought of picking up this beast but baulked at the work required.  Anyone who takes this on has gone some b@lls!
I've always wanted a Valkyrie, and It's the easiest available ATM - it definately needs Testicular Fortitude! :banghead:

Brian da Basher

I'm thrilled to see you tackling a B-70, Devilfish! I gave one to a member here for Secret Santa one year and he disappeared from What-If not long after starting it. I wonder if there's a connection?

I like the black scheme and low-viz markings you've got in mind. It'd be neat to see one of these in Vietnam camo ready for a bomb run...or to see one converted into an airliner (TWA, Braniff?).

You've got me eagerly awaiting your next update!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

kitnut617

I've read quite a few comments here and other places at what a pig it is to build, I don't understand why though.  My build didn't seem to present any more problems than the C-135 line that AMT has, or the Northrop B.2, or the Concorde I'm building.

Why does everyone have a problem ?  Admittedly it's not a 'Shake & Bake' kit but there nothing there that can't be worked out.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

IanH

Quote from: Brian da Basher on June 11, 2011, 07:49:57 AM
I'm thrilled to see you tackling a B-70, Devilfish! I gave one to a member here for Secret Santa one year and he disappeared from What-If not long after starting it. I wonder if there's a connection?

I like the black scheme and low-viz markings you've got in mind. It'd be neat to see one of these in Vietnam camo ready for a bomb run...or to see one converted into an airliner (TWA, Braniff?).

You've got me eagerly awaiting your next update!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Funny - the SEA Cam was what Iws thinking about...

Devilfish

Quote from: albeback on June 10, 2011, 08:34:52 AM

http://www.edwardsflighttest.com/b70.html

Ahhh but, this is Whifworld & realism goes out the window!! ;D

Check out some of the schemes at the link above ( hope it works!!)  I rather fancy the SEA Camouflage example. And, how about the one in the Thunderbirds livery! :o As for the dihderal mentioned elsewhere, I was aware of that but, as far as I'm concerned it's more trouble than it's worth. This kit is difficult enough to build without adding to it.  I can live without it . It's not that noticeable anyway & certainly,nobody that sees my model will be any the wiser.

True, it is a Whif, but I like to keep an air of realism in mine....most of the time, so I tend to stick to what would actually be.  Hence when I did a Vulcan B3, I painted it Hemp, as that's the colour all large RAF aircraft were going at the time.

albeback

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 11, 2011, 09:06:30 AM
I've read quite a few comments here and other places at what a pig it is to build, I don't understand why though.  My build didn't seem to present any more problems than the C-135 line that AMT has, or the Northrop B.2, or the Concorde I'm building.

Why does everyone have a problem ?  Admittedly it's not a 'Shake & Bake' kit but there nothing there that can't be worked out.

Inclined to agree with you. I enjoyed building mine. It was a bit of a challenge but, nothing a bit of time & effort can't cure.
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

albeback

Quote from: Devilfish on June 13, 2011, 12:55:49 AM
Quote from: albeback on June 10, 2011, 08:34:52 AM

http://www.edwardsflighttest.com/b70.html

Ahhh but, this is Whifworld & realism goes out the window!! ;D

Check out some of the schemes at the link above ( hope it works!!)  I rather fancy the SEA Camouflage example. And, how about the one in the Thunderbirds livery! :o As for the dihderal mentioned elsewhere, I was aware of that but, as far as I'm concerned it's more trouble than it's worth. This kit is difficult enough to build without adding to it.  I can live without it . It's not that noticeable anyway & certainly,nobody that sees my model will be any the wiser.

True, it is a Whif, but I like to keep an air of realism in mine....most of the time, so I tend to stick to what would actually be.  Hence when I did a Vulcan B3, I painted it Hemp, as that's the colour all large RAF aircraft were going at the time.

A very fair comment :thumbsup:. Me? I just like to let my imagination get the better of me sometimes. ;D. That was a lovely job you did on the Vulcan by the way. The Prowler cockpit looks good on it!
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

Devilfish

Quote from: albeback on June 15, 2011, 09:48:26 AM

A very fair comment :thumbsup:. Me? I just like to let my imagination get the better of me sometimes. ;D. That was a lovely job you did on the Vulcan by the way. The Prowler cockpit looks good on it!

Thanks.  The idea of using the Prowler cockpit actually came from my best mate, and I was lucky enough to pick up an old Matchbox one at the Peterborough show for a couple of quid....

And compared to the Vulcan, the B-70 is a breeze....

Pablo1965

I like the way you work and give form to the pieces. Brilliant. :thumbsup: :cheers: :bow: :bow: