B-70 Valkyrie

Started by Devilfish, June 09, 2011, 11:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

Just a quick update.  Got the wings together, with the aid of lots of glue and Stigs head again!

And the fuselage is done...ish

albeback

Quote from: Devilfish on June 16, 2011, 03:06:06 AM
Quote from: albeback on June 15, 2011, 09:48:26 AM

A very fair comment :thumbsup:. Me? I just like to let my imagination get the better of me sometimes. ;D. That was a lovely job you did on the Vulcan by the way. The Prowler cockpit looks good on it!

Thanks.  The idea of using the Prowler cockpit actually came from my best mate, and I was lucky enough to pick up an old Matchbox one at the Peterborough show for a couple of quid....

And compared to the Vulcan, the B-70 is a breeze....

;D No argument here. However, like the XB-70, I think the Vulcan is worth the effort. Again. nothing a bit of effort won't cure. Besides, putting the Vulcan together is a breeze ( in my view & based on actual experience!) compared to that b***** 1/72 TSR-2!!   :banghead:  ;D ( have now plucked up courage to tackle another 2 now that its back on the market!! ;D)
However, that is getting off track.......................!!!

May I ask ( just out of interest) your preferred method tackling the nasty joints on the kit wing parts? I used thin strips of plastic sheet  inserted into the joint. Filled the gaps quite neatly & just required shaving down until flush. I don't particularly like using filler on joints like that - largely due to shrinkage & mainly because I HATE sanding!! ;D
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

Devilfish

Quote from: albeback on June 18, 2011, 02:57:02 AM

;D No argument here. However, like the XB-70, I think the Vulcan is worth the effort. Again. nothing a bit of effort won't cure.

Very true....I'm looking forward to doing another sometime  :banghead:

Besides, putting the Vulcan together is a breeze ( in my view & based on actual experience!) compared to that b***** 1/72 TSR-2!!   :banghead:  ;D ( have now plucked up courage to tackle another 2 now that its back on the market!! ;D)

I have 4, eventually to be 5, 1/48th ones, so I hope they are a better fitting kit....

May I ask ( just out of interest) your preferred method tackling the nasty joints on the kit wing parts? I used thin strips of plastic sheet  inserted into the joint. Filled the gaps quite neatly & just required shaving down until flush. I don't particularly like using filler on joints like that - largely due to shrinkage & mainly because I HATE sanding!! ;D

Well tbh, I'm just getting back into "serious" modelling after many years just tinkering around.  There are many techniques I still haven't mastered or even tried, so for the time being I'm just slapping loads of filler on and sanding back, then repeating as necessary.  I keep meaning to try the plastic card method.  Maybe I will on the apex of the wings, as it has a nasty gap....

albeback

Quote from: Devilfish on June 19, 2011, 11:31:19 PM

;D No argument here. However, like the XB-70, I think the Vulcan is worth the effort. Again. nothing a bit of effort won't cure.

Very true....I'm looking forward to doing another sometime  :banghead:

Besides, putting the Vulcan together is a breeze ( in my view & based on actual experience!) compared to that b***** 1/72 TSR-2!!   :banghead:  ;D ( have now plucked up courage to tackle another 2 now that its back on the market!! ;D)

;I have 4, eventually to be 5, 1/48th ones, so I hope they are a better fitting kit....

Well tbh, I'm just getting back into "serious" modelling after many years just tinkering around.  There are many techniques I still haven't mastered or even tried, so for the time being I'm just slapping loads of filler on and sanding back, then repeating as necessary.  I keep meaning to try the plastic card method.  Maybe I will on the apex of the wings, as it has a nasty gap....

;D I prefer the 1/48 tsr-2 to its little brother. Largely due to the superior fit of  the parts. I won't get involved in an argument over accuracy or otherwise. It looks good enough for me & that's all that matters in my book! I've built 2. Only problem is that it's a BIG beastie in 1/48!!. Space shortage has kind of forced me to swallow my pride & have another go at the little uns!

Getting back to your XB-70, my own personal preference ( as I did on my Vulcan also) is to use plastic strip/card to fill gaps (where practical). I find it can often make a neater job. Looking good so far! I think mine will be my winter project!! ;D

Devilfish

Quote from: albeback on June 20, 2011, 09:15:30 AM
Getting back to your XB-70, my own personal preference ( as I did on my Vulcan also) is to use plastic strip/card to fill gaps (where practical). I find it can often make a neater job. Looking good so far! I think mine will be my winter project!! ;D

Well, I just tried this method for the big gap at the point where the wings meet.  I really messed up the join, but it's very hard to hold the whole wing together properly while the glue dries.  Something had to give.  Photo's to follow....

Taiidantomcat

This a tough build, hurts just watching it  :blink: looking great though, excellent progress and I believe you have the best of it  :bow:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

albeback

Quote from: Devilfish on June 20, 2011, 11:35:22 PM
Quote from: albeback on June 20, 2011, 09:15:30 AM

Well, I just tried this method for the big gap at the point where the wings meet.  I really messed up the join, but it's very hard to hold the whole wing together properly while the glue dries.  Something had to give.  Photo's to follow....

Sorry to hear that.! Still, keep up your good work.

Devilfish

Lastest update.....

Spent my time filling and sanding.....yea, that's about it...lots of filling, some sanding, then more filling...

Also done a bit of work on the hot end......

Removing injection marks...

Painted the cans

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Devilfish on June 23, 2011, 02:01:38 PM
Lastest update.....

Spent my time filling and sanding.....yea, that's about it...lots of filling, some sanding, then more filling...

Ah yes, PSR, the essence of Whiffing, sad to say.  :angry:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pablo1965

Filling and sanding to enjoy the time... I know we are difficult to understand, with all those marks of perfect fit, but does who need those one?
Wow, I don't know if I said what I want.

IanH

Quote from: Pablo1965 on June 24, 2011, 02:25:11 PM
Filling and sanding to enjoy the time... I know we are difficult to understand, with all those marks of perfect fit, but does who need those one?
Wow, I don't know if I said what I want.
You did Mucker ;)

oliv30330

you don't work for Georges Lucas????       I knows  :wacko: ==>

bearmatt

The carpet monster took it!

Devilfish

Ok, it's been a while since I updated.   Mainly because all I've been doing is filling and sanding.  It just seems that all the seams in this kit are a total pain to get rid off.  Well, I came to the conclusion that I could carry on trying, or settle for what I have.  So I settled......

Anyway, onto the pictures....

I found for some reason the tailfins wouldn't fit.  The locating tabs had to be filed shorter and thinner, but eventually they went in

With the main structure together you have to fit the engine exhaust plate, which i painted prior to fitting

and this is the other end...

And the whole thing with a coat of primer

Lastly, as it is now, with it's first coat of black, satin in this case

Cobra

Looking Good :thumbsup: You are Doing a Fantastic Job!  Hope to see more.  :cheers: :cheers: Dan