B-70 Valkyrie

Started by Devilfish, June 09, 2011, 11:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Ya, that's looking awesome ! Big wings on that baby !!!

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Devilfish

I'm not a happy bunny!!!

I sprayed the thing satin black and then masked off certain panels with Friskett low tack film.   I had a bugger of a job getting it to stick at all! 
I then sprayed over it in matt black.  Sounds simple enough!   
Except when i went to take off the "low tack" film, it was stuck nicely in place and eventually pulled most of the satin black off!!

:wall:

Pablo1965

It´s a very nice proyect, well done. I continue follow closely. :thumbsup: :cheers:  :bow:

Devilfish

Here's the damage.....

Leading Observer

:bow: I admire your patience and skill - this looks like a real pig of a kit. I am seriously considering taking it off my wish list :-\
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Devilfish

Quote from: Leading Observer on September 07, 2011, 10:19:37 AM
:bow: I admire your patience and skill - this looks like a real pig of a kit. I am seriously considering taking it off my wish list :-\

All I can say is, if you can, and have made the Airfix Vulcan, this is no more of a challenge.  Both have terrible fit and require copious amounts of filler!  The only added bonus with this is that you get some warpage thrown in for free. 

albeback

I can understand what you say but, the end result is a truly spectacular looking machine!! I've built two of these previously & while dificult, I found them easier than many vac forms (which I hate!!). Patience & TLC will be rewarded! ;D.

I don't personally mind a bit of effort. I really do NOT like kits where all you do is pour paint & glue in at one end, shake the box & have a completed model drop out the other end. It has been remarked here that the Airfix Vulcan is another poorly fitting  putty queen!! I agree! ;D. However, again, I think it's worth it.

I no longer have the 2 I built previously but, I have another in my stash. That's my winter project! Mine will carry a GTD-21 drone on its back

Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

Devilfish

Quote from: albeback on September 08, 2011, 02:33:11 AM

I can understand what you say but, the end result is a truly spectacular looking machine!! I've built two of these previously & while dificult, I found them easier than many vac forms (which I hate!!). Patience & TLC will be rewarded! ;D.

I don't personally mind a bit of effort. I really do NOT like kits where all you do is pour paint & glue in at one end, shake the box & have a completed model drop out the other end. 

Wow, where can you get them, lol 

Quote from: albeback on September 08, 2011, 02:33:11 AM

It has been remarked here that the Airfix Vulcan is another poorly fitting  putty queen!! I agree! ;D. However, again, I think it's worth it.

Very true, and I'm definately looking at doing at least one more in the future

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Devilfish on September 05, 2011, 11:18:33 PM
I'm not a happy bunny!!!

I sprayed the thing satin black and then masked off certain panels with Friskett low tack film.   I had a bugger of a job getting it to stick at all! 
Except when i went to take off the "low tack" film, it was stuck nicely in place and eventually pulled most of the satin black off!!

Nasty!  What kind of primer did you use?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Devilfish

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on September 11, 2011, 11:17:05 AM
Quote from: Devilfish on September 05, 2011, 11:18:33 PM
I'm not a happy bunny!!!

Nasty!  What kind of primer did you use?

Halfords.  I don't think the primer was at fault. I normally use Halfords cans for this sort of thing, but to save a few pennies I went to my local motor factors and got their cans instead.....Yet I had to buy Halfords Matt anyway because the other one came out satin still....

PR19_Kit

Did this monster ever get finished?

I've just re-opened the box of mine, and I must have done some work on it already as I'm  sure the wings and lower engine pod couldn't have glued themselves together.  ;D

Naturally I'm planning to plonk an X-15A-3 (or X-15C, other versions of X-15s are available...) on the B-70's back as discussed elsewhere. Mine will be an NB-70A of course, probably with copious amounts of red paint scattered over the airframe.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Devilfish

Yes, it did indeed get finished.  I will dig out some photos if you like.

Captain Canada

Funny how much the pic of the nose section looks like an underwing shot of an F-104 !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Devilfish on December 15, 2014, 08:07:51 AM
Yes, it did indeed get finished.  I will dig out some photos if you like.

Yes please, looks very impressive in the earlier shots.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit