Non-Broomhandle pistols chambered in 7.63 x 25mm Mauser?

Started by dy031101, June 12, 2011, 11:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

Curiosity- does anyone know if there is any pistol that is NOT a copy or look-alike of the Broomhandle that is chambered for 7.63 x 25 Mauser cartridge?

Thanks in advance.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

jemhouston

One would be the Russian TT-33. While the ammo is 7.62×25mm Tokarev, it's close enought to the German 7.63×25mm Mauser that Germans used the Mauser ammo in captured pistols.

The Mauser ammo was also used in MP 18.

The Chinese might have rechambered 1911s for the round, but I'm not sure.

dy031101

Quote from: jemhouston on June 12, 2011, 11:51:00 PM
The Chinese might have rechambered 1911s for the round, but I'm not sure.

Last night I stumbled across a picture of what is claimed to be a Chinese copy of Browning 1900 chambered for the round.

It does have a pistol grip that is very similar to the style of the Broomhandle (the plate at its bottom end looks kinda thin for that of a detachable magazine, but the location of the rear sight also makes it hard for me to imagine the use of stripper clips), if that means anything.

It'd be cool if they did copy a magazine-fed design and built it in the 7.63mm Mauser chambering though.

====================

To-do list here

Hardrada55

The Star Model 1922 pistol carbine was chambered in 7.63 Mauser. 

This is a really nice one. 

a 5 shot Chinese FN 1900 chambered in 7.63 Mauser. 

Here's another Chinese pre-WWII pistol chambered for 7.63 Mauser

dy031101

Wow...... thanks, Hardrada55.  :thumbsup:

Star 1922 is super-cool!

Never saw the third pic before...... what is it based on?

====================

To-do list here

Hardrada55

I'm sure it is a melange of different contemporary European designs with heavy influences from the Mauser C96 "Broomhandle" which can most easily be seen in the hammer assembly. 

http://oldchinesefirearms.proboards.com/index.cgi

dy031101

It seems to me that Broomhandle and FN 1900 are two most seen sources of "inspiration" for the Chinese in that era......

I wonder if there is another design that achieved any degree of such popularity in China.

====================

To-do list here

Hardrada55

The Chinese copied just about everything they could get their hands on, some of it they copied very well.  They copied the "Little Tom" double action pistol and the Mauser 1914 as well as the FN 1900, but just about everything they made had at least a bit of the "Broomhandle" Mauser in it.  Either the style of the exposed hammer or the rounded grip.  

This one has a hammer in the style of the Broomhandle Mauser as well as the rounded butt of the grip.  Chambered for 7.63 Mauser I understand. 

dy031101

Hardrada55 pointed me to a website that has a variety of WWII (and earlier) Chinese copies of various handguns (more than Broomhandle and FN 1900...... um......).

Over there I found a revolver of an unknown calibre...... which bring forth a question in my mind.

Is there any feature on the 7.63 x 25mm Mauser cartridge that prevents the designing of a compatible revolver cylinder?

====================

To-do list here

beowulf

the main prob is that its a rimless cartridge.........nothing for the ejectors in the cylinder to work against..........there are ways round it tho but its not very 'tactical'........i remember Ruger did the Security Six in 9mm..............maybe a single action design a la colt saa with an ejector rod?
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Hardrada55

In the past I came upon pictures of a Spanish copy of the Nagant revolver by F. Arizmendi Y Goenaga (F.A.G.) which may have been chambered for 7.63 Mauser.  I remember the guy who had the pistol did a chamber case of the cylinder and it indeed looked like the cylinder was chambered for 7.63 Mauser.  I wish I still had the pictures, I do not.  Here is the link to the old discussion on another forum.  I think that we pretty much agreed it was a "hand grenade".   http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/11618/t/7-62-x-25-in-1895-Nagant-.html#.Tii0tmHFKSo

dy031101

Quote from: beowulf on July 21, 2011, 09:47:20 AM
maybe a single action design a la colt saa with an ejector rod?
Quote from: Hardrada55 on July 21, 2011, 04:24:24 PM
In the past I came upon pictures of a Spanish copy of the Nagant revolver by F. Arizmendi Y Goenaga (F.A.G.) which may have been chambered for 7.63 Mauser.  I remember the guy who had the pistol did a chamber case of the cylinder and it indeed looked like the cylinder was chambered for 7.63 Mauser.

Has anyone tried making revolvers that could chamber rimless rounds without the use of moonclips before the end of WWII?

I'm not drawing conclusions yet, but I figure that if it was tried elsewhere during the appropriate timeframe, maybe someone in China could have been inspired into giving it a shot as well......

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

Not a pistol (a word I believe to be used very loosely in the term "machine pistol"), but this is pretty cool, too......

====================

To-do list here