Main Menu

Graf Zeppelin

Started by beowulf, June 13, 2011, 07:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf

improvise, adapt, overcome, survive!

well....done some improvising  ;D

had no suitable tape so i cut some 1.5 mm strips from some frisket and tried that..........not as small or neat as i would have liked but it will have to do

the flat top has been done in darker grey, kleared ready for a wash to try and bring out the details

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

beowulf

slow progress..............came to add the yellow stripes on the flat top and they disolved before my eyes!  :angry:.............so it going to get done without them  :rolleyes:......flat top on hull, island on flat top............i decided to give all the port holes a wash to try and make them stand out a little,......bit mind numbing dotting about 300 tiny portholes  ;D

I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

scooter

Looking good.  A buddy of mine built a mask for the out of bounds markings on angle deck carriers out of strip balsa.  You might be able to do something similar.  Plus it looks a little more realistic.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

beowulf

i might try to do something like that....but then again i might be CBA  ;D..........anyway, the real one was never finished so who knows if it was ever going to get the stripes on the deck?  ;D...ive done a little research and lot of people do the kit with 'wooden' decks......dont think that would have been right, the USN carriers had wooden decks but were painted, i think the Kreigmarine would have done the same...........the more ive been doing this the more i have been thinking of a KriegMarine '46 type one  :lol:..............get some better aircraft, upgrade the ship with some 'radar' and better guns.............give it a 'dazzle' type camo like the Bismark or Tirpitz had at times

Pablo1965

Quote from: beowulf on June 23, 2011, 04:11:40 PM
get some better aircraft, upgrade the ship with some 'radar' and better guns.............give it a 'dazzle' type camo like the Bismark or Tirpitz had at times

It will be great,  I follow closely this thread. :thumbsup: :cheers: :bow:

dumaniac

beowulf

well...its done  ;D

things i learnt from this.....................

a reinforced respect for guys who habitually do this stuff...............the scale was daunting to me.....i sometimes struggle with 1/72 cos of chubby finger syndrome  ;D

trying to paint a Me109 or Stuka with a 10mm wingspan aint easy!!!!!!!  :-\

and...............it was a lot of fun to do something completely different to what i normally do.....thoroughly enjoyed doing this

bad points................the decals were rubbish!  :angry:...the ones that were supposed to go on the flight deck dissolved..................so did the 'flags'............when i get some ink for my printer i might have a go at making some for it to finish it off

excuse the pics on a slant.........only way i could get it all in the frame and not be too far away from it  ;D

sequoiaranger

Nice work beowulf! The GZ is my favorite German ship, and you have done a nice job of it!

Just one thing I noticed that maybe you could change without much effort--the "slanted pole" thingy is supposed to start alongside the funnel by the searchlight--there is a support extending from the rear of the funnel (with another searchlight) to help hold it up. Maybe the instruction sheet didn't show this properly. The illustration below is from a FABULOUS book by Siegfried Breyer:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Leading Observer

I have never understood why the Germans still planned on using the Me-109 as a carrier fighter even after the advent of the FW-190. The wide track of the undercarriage of the the 190 would have been much better suited to deck landings.
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

scooter

Quote from: Leading Observer on June 26, 2011, 09:08:25 AM
I have never understood why the Germans still planned on using the Me-109 as a carrier fighter even after the advent of the FW-190. The wide track of the undercarriage of the the 190 would have been much better suited to deck landings.

As would the radial BMWs, less weight (no glycol) and minimal complexity to the cooling system.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Spey_Phantom

looks great, i like it  :thumbsup:

but 1/700 it a fiddly for me, i think i'll wait t'ill Lindberg (eventually) releases they're 1/183 version  :lol:
hats off to you for building at a scale that small.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

beowulf

thanks guys

as for that pole thingy.......i checked the instructions and i am wrong  :-\........slip of the brain cell i think,i was doing a lot of the fiddly stuff like that very very early one morning when i couldnt sleep,  however the hole to locate it that should have been there wasnt, and even if it was it wouldnt looked like that cgi pic  ;D....................im going to leave it like it is cos i cba to alter it

sequoiaranger

Simple snip-and-move. Nick the stack searchlight platform and attach!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

dumaniac

yes - it does look good = but as a suffered of fat finger and failing eye-sight - I might hold out for the larger scale as well

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.