WHIFS found on Modeling Madness

Started by Tuck, June 14, 2011, 02:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on September 08, 2016, 03:45:41 AM
Looks to me like the Heller/Airfix mould.
I wonder how he got enough weight in it to prevent tail sitting?

Nose weight plus flatted tyres helps a lot on any Vampire kit.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Nice find Rat ! That does look good !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Green Dragon

Saw that earlier today, apparently Heller made the engine fit upside down so if you follow the instructions the cowling is updside down too. Nice to know if you're building one!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

TheChronicOne

The Vampire strikes again.

Currently in the research phase of my Vampire build when I came across this. Per usual, I searched numerous terms and names and didn't find it already here so... here goes nothing.

Hobbycraft 1/48 Vampire Mk I by Dale Rannals.

More here (more pics and write up! ): 
http://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/gb/ranvamp.htm
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

LOVE that Vampire!  :wub:

You can almost imagine de Havilland actually doing that to ensure the twin boom configuration worked before stuffing a jet engine in there.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Is that ever neat. I have always wanted to do one like that.

:wub: :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

That's a good point right there.. I'd hope there would be some type of reinforced fin under there or something in the least.  I could imagine this one IRL having tons of fouled props and mechanics griping for eons.

Building mine, it seems as if it sits with a nose up attitude on the ground as if the nose gear was a bit longer? Probably is?  Whatever.... anyway, I noticed this one with the nose gear right AT the nose. Mine isn't like that, it's well back into the fuselage.  Was that something they actually did with Vampires or was this perhaps the builder's attempt at maybe alleviating a bit of that nose up stance to increase the odds of that not happening? 

I know next to nothing about Vampires..
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Flyer on November 20, 2016, 06:03:29 PM
Never really noticed that either, seems the single seaters have a very forward nosewheel and the two seaters have it set further back. Is the wheel in the same location but the two seater has a longer nose section maybe?
I do believe you nailed it... looking at my two seater the nose is substantially longer and had it been the same, the gear would be in the same position. 
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

The 2-seater Vampire was a private development by DH (DH.113) which incorporated a US built radar which required more length to the nose forward of the nose gear & became the NF.10

The trainer variants were developments of the NF.10 & it was easier to keep the long nose & replace the pull-off radar access nose with a hinged fairing to access electronics housed there.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Glorious!  Thanks for the particulars, Old Wombat.

I'm glad Dracula's has the extended nose because with the opaque windscreen and canopy the craft needs to house extra equipment for devices that allow the Vampires to keep apprised of the battlefield.   :lol: :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

jcf

Good use of a Hobbycraft Vampire as the kit is a poor
rendition of a Vampire.  ;D

Captain Canada

I didn't know that about the Vampire either. Cheers !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr