Folding helicopter blades

Started by rickshaw, June 21, 2011, 03:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Does anybody know of some good diagrams or close pictures of the hinges for folding helicopter blades on a Wessex?

Second question, are the things that are used, usually to hold helicopter blades once they are folded metal or something soft like rope/canvas/etc?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Maverick

Although I can't place any diagrams or photos, just diagrams from profile artwork, but I believe the restraints are canvas bags with a rope.

Regards,

Mav

lenny100

most rn heicopters use a pole about 3 meters long with a c shaped cup on top which when placed a marked area on the blades also fit into a fitting on the tail of the helicopter holding the blade ridged
when in flight position they use a canvas bag and rope, as its the best way
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

RotorheadTX

I can supply the blade-fold pics you need - later today.

deathjester

I don't know about diagrams, but if you want folding blades for a model, you couldn't do better than the ones on my Supermarine Spartan - they are from an toy EC-135 Helo made by RealToy, and they are very strong, and fold up!

If you want, I can get one to you!

rickshaw

Deathjester would they fold like a naval helicopter's blades?  Are they 1/72 scale?

Rotorhead, if you can send me the pictures, I'd appreciate it.

deathjester

They are about 1/72, and they can fold lengthways, so they lay fore and aft along the line of the fuselage.
They could fold so all four blades form a fan shape, but that takes up more room!

Is that what you meant?

jcf

RotorheadTX

Well, that takes care of that, doesn't it??  :thumbsup:

Thiel

Nice to know that you and your buddies are suspended by eight potentially rusty bolts.  :o

PR19_Kit

One of the most senior engineers in the company I used to work for, a guy who knows more about metal fatigue than anyone else I've ever met, refuses point blank to fly in any helicopter. He says they're 'Flying Fatigue Machines' and won't even go in one with a carbon fibre rotor as he reckons there just isn't enough data to prove that the material is reliable.

He'd go right along with the 'eight potentially rusty bolts' hypotheses.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 21, 2011, 01:07:43 PM
One of the most senior engineers in the company I used to work for, a guy who knows more about metal fatigue than anyone else I've ever met, refuses point blank to fly in any helicopter. He says they're 'Flying Fatigue Machines' and won't even go in one with a carbon fibre rotor as he reckons there just isn't enough data to prove that the material is reliable.

He'd go right along with the 'eight potentially rusty bolts' hypotheses.....

Sounds just like my Uncle Ron's (married to my mum's younger sister) brother Bob.  ;D

http://www.rjwaldronco.com/team/robert-waldron.html

Maverick

There's always the magical 'Jesus Nut' that holds the helo to it's rotor.   :lol:  Once that fails, the occupants get to meet him pretty darn quick.

Regards,

Mav

Captain Canada

Quote from: Thiel on June 21, 2011, 11:16:54 AM
Nice to know that you and your buddies are suspended by eight potentially rusty bolts.  :o

It's not the bolts I'd be worried about.....it's the nuts holding them on ! Having said that, the way the joint is made, the bolt would pretty much have to turn into dust to come apart.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rickshaw

I think I'll be scratchbuilding the S-58's rotor folding.  Thanks to everybody for their help.