Floaty flyey things

Started by tigercat, June 22, 2011, 04:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Now I like the sound of that - it would really mess with people's heads. :thumbsup:

What about a Supermarine S.7 - based on a late Spitfire or the Spiteful, with low-profile canopy, clipped wings, and a massively tweaked Griffon? Or a Hawker machine, with a Sabre or Crecy engine. Lose the draggy chin radiator, and use evaporative cooling instead.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

scooter

Actually develop CL-130s?

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Cliffy B

OH MY!!!!!  :wub:  That begs for some profiles.  Who wants to build one?
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

tigercat

how about a Me 323 flying boat

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on June 24, 2011, 03:59:08 PM
And on that principle...... Blackburn Beverley......

Somewhere there's a piccie of a couple of 47 Sqdn Bevs on the ramp at Abingdon after it had rained BUCKETS, and they look just as if they were flying boats, having such low ground clearance! The original ramp there was only temporary while they built proper hangars tall enough to take the Bevs, so the place wasn't drained too well. Instead the water hung around in huge pools, that which hadn't overflowed into the adjacent Married Quarters anyway.........  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rallymodeller

Quote from: Weaver on June 24, 2011, 04:43:07 PM
Another suggestion: IL-28 Beagle. Fit a hull, then move the engines to the top of the wing.

It'd probably look a lot like the Beriev R-1:

and that was later developed into the operational Be-10 Mallow:

--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

NARSES2

Always liked the idea of the retractable planing hull as used by the Blackburn B.20 myself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_B-20
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: rallymodeller on June 25, 2011, 01:39:07 AM
Quote from: Weaver on June 24, 2011, 04:43:07 PM
Another suggestion: IL-28 Beagle. Fit a hull, then move the engines to the top of the wing.

It'd probably look a lot like the Beriev R-1:

Yep - that's the idea! :thumbsup: You could call it Illushin's competing design. A lot of people would know that there was something real that was vaguely along those lines, but it wouldn't look quite right... :wacko:

With Tamiya/Ben Hobby's nice little 1/100th example about, it'd be relatively easy to do it by using a 1/72nd or 1/48th float too. In 1/72nd, I'd avoid the Airfix Beagle though: the upper halves of it's engine pods are moulded to the wings...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

tigercat

couldn't you just reverse the wings and mount them upside down.

kitnut617

Quote from: tigercat on June 25, 2011, 12:38:47 PM
What I've done on my DHC-8 floatplane, was to cut the wings off as close to the nacelles as possible, then flip the nacelles upside down.  I then also cut the rear of the nacelles off and turn them back to how they originally were, so the exhaust exited up and backwards.  This is another project I should get back onto, it's been packed away now for over three years (for a house move)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Quote from: tigercat on June 25, 2011, 12:38:47 PM

It's doable (I was playing with one last night). The wing section isn't symetrical, but it's close and it's thin, so the PSR to get the wing roots to match is within reason. On the whole I think it'd be better to adapt an Italeri or Trumpeter one that has fully separate nacelles, but either would work.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 24, 2011, 06:48:17 PM
Quote from: Weaver on June 24, 2011, 03:59:08 PM
How about a B-24 Liberator? High wing, deep fuselage... seems like a natural.

ThinK that's what a PB2Y3 Coronado is Weaver

Hmmm kind of, but the Coronado's wing is very different. A flying boat Liberator would still make an interesting whiff.

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 25, 2011, 01:50:38 AM
Always liked the idea of the retractable planing hull as used by the Blackburn B.20 myself

Absolutely Chris, it's a pity no-one has ever kitted it, not even in vacform AFAIK.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rallymodeller

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 25, 2011, 04:57:49 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 25, 2011, 01:50:38 AM

Absolutely Chris, it's a pity no-one has ever kitted it, not even in vacform AFAIK.

I have it in Flight Sim...
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Daryl J.

Who said it has to be military?

Why not a Cessna 195 with a cleanly mounted pair of Edos?    (Yeah...it's likely been done, I'm just unaware of it)
Wendell-Williams racer or Mr. Mulligan.