Floaty flyey things

Started by tigercat, June 22, 2011, 04:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallymodeller

How about a turbopropped C-117D/Super DC-3 or Basler BT-67 on the floats from an XC-47C? The increase in power would make it actually work... (I also have the thought of just slapping some PW120s on a C-46, but that's another story...)
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 24, 2011, 03:11:17 PM
Weren't the Shetland wings rooted in those of the G Class Empire boats? And swept back a bit too, just like a Sunderland.

From the info in Shorts Aircraft since 1900 originally the S.35 Shetland was related to, and was to have the same evenly
tapered wing as, the S.36 Super Stirling, however the demands of the waterborne role led to an extensive redesign. The
Shetland wing ended up with a straight trailing edge and swept leading edge, quite different from the G-class boats or the
Sunderland. Evidently the wing structure was also completely different from any other Shorts aircraft of the period.

Brian Ribbans' Seawings site has some nice original Shetland plans:
http://www.seawings.co.uk/shetplanpage.htm

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rallymodeller on June 25, 2011, 06:16:32 PM
I have it in Flight Sim...

Me too, and it behaves very well indeed, but it's not the same as gluing the parts together, spending 3 weeks on PSR, painting and decalling and finally seeing it in 3D up there on the display shelf.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on June 24, 2011, 03:59:08 PMAnd on that principle...... Blackburn Beverley......

Don't be embarrassed to say it, write it LARGE!  ;D  I've often thought about a Beverly flying boat too, the lack of a kit might have something to do with me not building it. Ditto for another one that I've mentioned wanting to put a hull on, the Armstrong Whitworth Argosy. So I satisfied myself with building the Transall Calais:

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

famvburg

I think it was done, with an Army C195 (LC-126).

Quote from: Daryl J. on June 25, 2011, 07:03:01 PM
Who said it has to be military?

Why not a Cessna 195 with a cleanly mounted pair of Edos?    (Yeah...it's likely been done, I'm just unaware of it)
Wendell-Williams racer or Mr. Mulligan.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on June 26, 2011, 04:30:05 AM
Don't be embarrassed to say it, write it LARGE!  ;D  I've often thought about a Beverly flying boat too, the lack of a kit might have something to do with me not building it. Ditto for another one that I've mentioned wanting to put a hull on, the Armstrong Whitworth Argosy. So I satisfied myself with building the Transall Calais:

There's a Magna resin one, but you need a fork lift truck to move it, and the Sanger vacform. Not sure if either are still available, but add a Sunderland underneath and you're half way there.

Just LOVE the Calais, by the way, magic thinking!  :cheers: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tigercat

Nice Calais it might inspire me to amphibify my Noratlas I have in my stash

McColm

Quote from: scooter on June 24, 2011, 08:10:51 PM
Actually develop CL-130s?

I've got the C-130 and P-3 Orion kits, just need to shape the hull.

The Rat

Quote from: tigercat on June 28, 2011, 04:35:40 AM
Nice Calais it might inspire me to amphibify my Noratlas I have in my stash

Just what I was thinking of for the weeny Heller one Alvis sent me!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Daryl J.

Ki-15  Babs on floats.

Open cockpit, single seated Myrt on floats like a Seiran would be cool too.    Overall polished metal.