Quad Tilt Rotor

Started by Green Dragon, June 28, 2011, 08:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Green Dragon

This is going to take longer than I thought because I decided to beef up the Transall wing so it looks a bit more like the V-22 wings. I've put some plasticard on and will need a lot of putty and wet and dry paper to finish it. Stuck on the forward wings but they're quite a bit further back than I intended, not sure how but I left them to dry came back and they'd moved! I'm blaming nextdoors cat or the gobblins that live at the end of our garden!
Hopefully some pics tomorrow.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

albeback

Like it! That's well brutal!!
;D

I've got a bashed up Herc lying in a box somewhere. That has possibilities for a fuselage anyway!!
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

kitnut617

I think this is quite a useful comparison

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

ChrisF

Markings ? Tiger meet ?    :wacko:  teehee :)

Green Dragon

Thanks everyone!
Albeback, I was going to use a Herc (got old Airfix, Esci and two Italeri's) but thought it would be less work with the Transall (probably wrong!).
Love that size comparison Kitnut, wish I'd seen the QTR's wing shape before I decided to keep the Transall one! I think I had enough left from the kit parts to scratch bash a new wing that would have been a lot lighter than this is going to be.
ChrisF, I haven't decided on colours yet but I'm leaning towards an Antarctic or desert scheme at the moment.

Front wing set glued on.

Reskinning the wing underside because the Greenstuff kept falling out!

Reskinning top of wing to get a thicker profile similar to V-22 wing.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.

Mossie

I'm impressed that you managed to get the warping on that wing to play, let alone the skinning! :thumbsup:  The V-22 wing join looks pretty good, in fact it looks like it fits better than the Transall parts do to one another! :lol:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Green Dragon

Hi Mossie, it took quite a bit of snipping bits off and offering it up to get the V-22 wings to fit, still need to fill part of the fairing underneath the wing.
The warp in the Transall wing was a bit worrying but being one of the Bobkit snap-fit models it's pretty well engineered and  everything straightened out when I snapped it all in place. I'm really impressed at how solid it is!
Think I'll be slapping on some Miliput today, need to buy some more wet and dry before I can rub her down though.

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

kitnut617

I think the Transall way was the right way Paul, it's the fuselage I'm going to use when I get around to my QTR.  I've a nice pic of a gunship version of the QTR as my desktop background and thought that it looked like a Transall more than a C-130 (but I do have a spare C-130 fuselage for my advance Rotodyne project I'm planning)

Nice work on those wing joints though ---  :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

albeback

Interesting comparison. Having seen that, I think the decision to use the Transall is justified. It's certainly closer to the concept drawing & obviously a whole bit sleeker than the Herc!! ;D

I don't have a Transall in my stash & I certainly wouldn't cut up that lovely Revell kit!! ;D.  If I ever get around to this, I'll just use my poor old Herc!
Already have a colour scheme in mind though - it will the RAF Sand/Mid stone/Black scheme
Allan
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

Green Dragon

I did my old Airfix Herc in that scheme when I was about twelve, does look nice! All I have left are the wing tanks, two seats, the main gear wheels and the prop hubs but no blades for some reason!? Have also still got most of the launcher for the Bloodhound that later got converted for wargaming as a sort of Rapier-ish system fitted with those weird missiles from the original Matchbox Jaguar.

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

Mike Wren

I was thinking of using a 1/144 C-17 fuselage for something similar in 1/72, but then realised I only had one Italeri V-22 kit...  :banghead: it'll have to wait...