Frank Whittles' Holiday: Completed

Started by Alvis 3.14159, June 30, 2011, 12:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jorel62

James

Army of One

I really like this.......absolutely great......awesome backstory as well....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

buzzbomb

great outcome.. it really looks the part.

Terrific backstory as well.

Alvis 3.14159

Quote from: Pablo1965 on June 30, 2011, 09:16:44 AM
A stage of whiffing life in the RAF. Very nice put in scene, and the plane is amazing.
A cuestion: Where the spout of the reactor, Ican't see it.
Cheers  :thumbsup: :cheers: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

It's right under the tail. The angels I shot it at mostly don't have a good angle on the exhaust. I'll see if I can find one looking up the pipe.

Alvis Pi

PACOPEPE

Fantastic; i like it a lot! . Good idea, and very well done.

Regards
Fran

philp

Never was a fan of the P-39 but this just looks right.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Stargazer

Quote from: philp on June 30, 2011, 11:45:14 PM
Never was a fan of the P-39 but this just looks right.

I guess if you saw a P-39 in real life you might change your mind.
Anyway, this is far enough from a P-39 for it not to suffer the comparison, isn't it?

Pablo1965

Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on June 30, 2011, 08:58:43 PM
A stage of whiffing life in the RAF. Very nice put in scene, and the plane is amazing.
It's right under the tail. The angels I shot it at mostly don't have a good angle on the exhaust. I'll see if I can find one looking up the pipe.
Alvis Pi

Ah! I see, Sorry for my stupid question.  :thumbsup:

PACOPEPE

The P-39 seems a vulgar aircraft, but it has something........, i think.

It´s one of the aircrafts with more whiffies and "tunning" versions i know.

Regards
Fran

Alvis 3.14159

Quote from: Pablo1965 on July 01, 2011, 02:52:19 AM
Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on June 30, 2011, 08:58:43 PM
Alvis Pi

There are no stupid questions, only stupid models! :)  (Even I look at it and think it has no tail pipe)

Alvis Pi
Ah! I see, Sorry for my stupid question.  :thumbsup:

sequoiaranger

>It's right under the tail. The [angles] I shot it at mostly don't have a good angle on the exhaust. I'll see if I can find one looking up the pipe.<

So, do you tell it to "bend over"?  ;)

PS--I know someone who flew P-39's. He loved them, and he said it was the sweetest thing to fly. It just wasn't an "interceptor" that could fly high, nor a nimble enough dogfighter to take on Zeroes. The Russkies, though, seemed to appreciate it (and the follow-on P-63 Kingcobra)! My future L-39 whif, a long way off, will be outfitted in some Soviet ace markings.

The only thing I might have done differently would be to "separate" the end of the tail pipe with a visible tube, and a little air space between it and the tail above it, both to make the jet aspect a little more visible to the viewer, and to provide some "cooling" (otherwise the paint would be scorched off it). You might be able to still do that with a bit of "drinking straw" extension painted scorched metal. But believe me, I love it the way it is!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Alvis 3.14159

Yes, a small extension out of the existing opening should work nicely, I've got some brass tubing that would work nicely. Thanks for the input, it fixes an error.

P-39s get a bad reputation mostly, it seems, from the mauling they received at the hands of the Japanese. I tend to chalk that up to very experienced aircrew (IJN and IJAAF) going up against relatively inexperienced USAAC and USN crews, who hadn't been in a shooting war yet, and were trying to use tactics with vastly dissimilar aircraft. Once they changed tactics (don't get into a turning fight with Zeros) and used the properties of their own planes to advantage, things started to improve for the Americans. By then, the P-39s were being replaced by other planes, so the Airacobras never had the chance to prove they could do the job...albeit in some limited ways.

If they  had a better cannon in the nose tho...that Chrysler 37mm wasn't exactly frisky in muzzle velocity.

The prototype P-39 had a turbo/supercharger, but it didn't make it into production aircraft. Part of the USAAC's mentality was that the planes were there as support for the Army, so high altitude performance wasn't given much importance. This attitude held on for some time before actual info from combat over Europe began to sink in at the higher levels of bureacracy.

Alvis Pi

GTX

Quote from: Maverick on June 30, 2011, 12:43:10 AM
Brilliant stuff as always Alvis.

Regards,

Mav

Yep, that about sums up my reaction too. :thumbsup:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter