'What If' 'Wheeled' Sd.Kfz.251

Started by MAD, June 30, 2011, 07:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAD

G'day gents

Wow it pays to go away!!
Some fantastic work and feedback thank you very much gents :cheers:

Some good points made about the M-B G3 series / Sd.Kfz.231joncarrfarrelly. This design is what prompted me to think about such a conversion.
Thank you heaps for the drawing of the 'Comparison of M3 halftrack and Postulated M3 with Rear Wheels'
To be honest this 6x6 M3 series is where I was leading to in the big scheme of things  :bow: Can I ask where you found this comparison drawing?? Was an all-wheeled M3 series seriously considered at any time by the U.S? For as mkhulu points out, it is somewhat BTR-152 like (and hence a possibility!).
I would very much appreciate anyone willing to do some profiles of this 'wheeled' M3, in WWII / Korean War type camo and markings!! :bow:

Mr.Creak your time, effort and persistence has paid off with your latest 6x6 & 8x8 Sdkfz.231 and Sdkfz.251 mash-up!! :wub: Thanks heaps, they look great!!
Can I ask that we run with the 6x6 variant for some coloured and marking profiles?? :bow:
Could you also have a crack at applying your drawing talents to an American M3(W) (Wheeled)?

rickshaw, your Type 40 APC looks very purpose-like, thank you for your contribution :thumbsup:
Your points about
Quoterear mounted wheels
is very valid, and I concur with you! I envisage the 'Wheeled' Sdkfz.251 (as the 'What If' American 'Wheeled' M3 series) not as a complete replacement for the halftrack Sdkfz.251 / M3. But as a means of freeing up and allowing the better cross-country / mobility halftrack's to be deployed and used on the 'forward edge of the battlefield / frontline, while the 'wheeled' variants are able to be produced cheaper and quicker for less intensive operations, whilst allowing armoured protection to the troops it is carrying/deploying! i.e rear/convoy protection / ant-partisan work.

Thanks once again to you all and I continue to hold my breath and excitement as to what we can come up with  :bow:

M.A.D 

jcf

Yer, welcome.

The wheeled M-3 is from an article in Issue 19 of Armored Car, all 36 issues of which are available online at warwheels.net

http://www.warwheels.net/images/ACJfinal19.pdf

http://www.warwheels.net/ACJwwINDEX.html

p.s. the 231+251 mashup is my quickie graphics contribution.

beowulf

Quote from: MAD on July 03, 2011, 11:28:08 PM
But as a means of freeing up and allowing the better cross-country / mobility halftrack's to be deployed and used on the 'forward edge of the battlefield / frontline, while the 'wheeled' variants are able to be produced cheaper and quicker for less intensive operations, whilst allowing armoured protection to the troops it is carrying/deploying! i.e rear/convoy protection / ant-partisan work.

Thanks once again to you all and I continue to hold my breath and excitement as to what we can come up with  

working on something right now...........another day or two should see it done  :thumbsup:

thanks for the inspiration from this thread or i would never have had a crack at it
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Maverick

In the next few days, some of my shots at a wheeled Sdkfz 251 should appear in my thread.  Whilst researching the type, I did come across the Sdkfz 247, quite a similar vehicle to the basic concept.

Regards,

Mav

MAD

Dear Mr Beowulf and Mr Maverick

I wish to convey my thanks and excitement at the prospects of your efforts in granting my request!  :bow: 

M.A.D

beowulf

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

raafif

Neat !!  I did something similar to an Airfix 32nd SdKfz.250 which made it a vehicle halfway between the 250 & 251 in size.  Sadly destroyed so no pics of it.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

ChernayaAkula

A modification of Mr.Creak's profile.
Instead of twin wheels on the rear axles, how about some of the interleaved stuff the Germans were so fond of in their tank running gear design?  ;D Makes swapping wheels harder, but could improve cross-country performance or ability to get over obstacles.

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?