Oh not: another 1/48 SINGLE ENGINE PHANTOM (version 2.0)

Started by G.Marcat, July 21, 2011, 07:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.Marcat

Do You remember the my first Single Seat Single Engine Phantom? (Not? look here: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,27734.0.html)

I was totally unsatisfied by how I did the conversion and how the model has turned out when completed.
Immediately I promised myself of to do this conversion another time but this time doing less disasters from those done the first time.

Now I'm ready.
The past time I had used as base an old unfinished MONOGRAM's F-4C/D. This time I will use as base a more modern kit: the "donor kit" is a HASEGAWA F-4E 30th anniversary box:

As usual I have completed the greater number of complementary parts possible.
Removed the oval frames from the front windshiled:

Completed the front canopy interior using EDUARD's Photoetched Precoloured parts:

follow...

G.Marcat

This is the completed front istrument panel:

The front cockpit tub:

More preparatory work done:

In the last two days glued the wings:

Glued the fuselage:

FOLLOW...

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

G.Marcat

And now it's time for the surgical work:

In the first Phantom Single Engine I did a mishap with the typical Phantom SPARROW front bays. This time I have glued them carefully to preserve the shape of the bays:

The second operation is on the tail's zone.
To place a single engine exhaust in the center of the Phantom require the removal of the V shaped chin that is located in the middle of the two engines.
This time the surgical work has been done more precise & clean:

G.Marcat

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on July 21, 2011, 07:56:00 AM
Real quality there my friend! nice job  :thumbsup:

The purpose this time is of to do a more clean work. The first Phantom Single Engine was a "test". I hope this second version will satisfy really me!!!

beowulf

nice  :mellow:

i liked the idea behind the first one so i will keep an eye on this one too
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

G.Marcat

Quote from: beowulf on July 21, 2011, 08:59:03 AM
nice  :mellow:
I liked the idea behind the first one so i will keep an eye on this one too

In the my first Phantom SS/SE I was obsessed by the idea of to do at it the more vast number possible of modifications, this time I will do the exact contrary, the resulting shape should be more similar to the original Phantom.

This afternoon done this:
Cut out 3 centimeters of plastic from the central reinforcing plate:

I have added superglue to the fuselage joint in order of to avoid any unwanted crack as happened in other projects in the past

at the end glued the wings to the suselage.

The my idea is of to move toward the center of the fuselage all group made by the wings and fuselage's sides.

Eddie M.

I really enjoy watching you work and will be observing this project with much interest. :)
Look behind you!

G.Marcat

Update about the work done in the last three days:

And there is a lot more to do....

G.Marcat

This is what I have done recently on the Phantom:

closed the holes with various pieces of Evergreen's plastic:

Then added putty:

and today this is the situation:

There are lots of little holes that need of to be closed but I like how is gone the conversion work until this moment.

On the belly of the Phantom this is the work done:
From here:

to there

Now I need to complete the Engine's exhaust zone and the air intakes.

Gondor

How are you going to handle the arrestor hook now that there is only one engine so no gap to place the hook when it is not lowered?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

G.Marcat

Quote from: Gondor on August 06, 2011, 01:54:08 AM
How are you going to handle the arrestor hook now that there is only one engine so no gap to place the hook when it is not lowered?
Gondor

I will do as in the first version of the Phantom Single Engine: The original hook reshaped and placed in the center of the belly near the exhaust.
Nothing of exotic.

Taiidantomcat

I like the technique you used to close that gap. Going to have to use that one myself. this project is impressive  :bow:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

ChrisF

Im interested to see how you go about the air intakes i must say...

G.Marcat

Quote from: ChrisF on August 15, 2011, 04:14:05 PM
Im interested to see how you go about the air intakes i must say...

Currently I'm working on the zone around the engine exhaust, the work around the  air intakes will be left  for  last.