Aircraft used for camera platforms for movies and TV

Started by McColm, July 24, 2011, 05:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi,
Many of you have asked me what will I make with the left over parts and I think this is the answer. I've seen pictures of a four engined turbo prop aircraft with what looks like the front portion of a EA-6B Prowler added to the nose section.
This could have been a prototype or training aircraft.
The early pictures of the Apache had an added single cockpit to the front of a Sea King.
The combinations are endless as I can picture a P-3 Orion with a Tornado added to the front, plus the front landing gear.

The real world Tu-128UT-'Fiddler'/  or TU-28UT 'Pelican' three seater jet trainer also has a cockpit grafted onto the front section. The radar nose houses the instructor.
You can buy this kit in 1/72 scale.

famvburg

Are you sure it was a 4 engined a/c? How about only 2?

http://www.aero-web.org/specs/grumman/tc-4c.htm

Quote from: McColm on July 24, 2011, 05:02:40 AM
Hi,
Many of you have asked me what will I make with the left over parts and I think this is the answer. I've seen pictures of a four engined turbo prop aircraft with what looks like the front portion of a EA-6B Prowler added to the nose section.

McColm

No, the forward nose section had glass panels.
Thanks for trying.

rallymodeller

Was it the NC-131H "Total In-Flight Simulator"?

Retired only in the last few years, and now at the USAF Museum, this plane was involved in literally dozens of aircraft development programs (had different nose cockpits fitted over its life). The flight control setup could be programmed to simulate just about any transport aircraft that can be imagined, and the large vertical fins on the wings can simulate strong crosswind forces, among other things.

As far as the Tu-128UT trainer, this was fairly common for the Russians. The same setup (instructor cockpit replacing the radar nose) was used for the MiG-25PU and Il-28U as well.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

McColm

Thanks that's it!! and I thought it had four engines. Mine will.

Rheged

There once was a vogue for using Mitchells as camera aircraft.   Gavin Lyall wrote  "Shooting Script" (fiction) about one years and years ago.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on July 25, 2011, 02:23:49 AM
There once was a vogue for using Mitchells as camera aircraft.   Gavin Lyall wrote  "Shooting Script" (fiction) about one years and years ago.

A cracking book.  :thumbsup:

I love the bit where the hero dumps the Mitchell right down on top of his adversary's Vampire during it's take-off run!

They used a Mitchell as the main camera ship for the 'Battle of Britain' film, it had cameras in the nose and tail, and one on a big arm that de-tracted out of the bomb bay too! It looked pretty bizarre tracking over Duxford with that thing hanging out underneath it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 25, 2011, 10:54:48 PM

A cracking book.  :thumbsup:

I love the bit where the hero dumps the Mitchell right down on top of his adversary's Vampire during it's take-off run!

Gavin Lyall is always worth a read. I rather enjoyed the concept of taking out a squadron of Vampires with  a couple of tons of building bricks!

McColm

Rheged

Quote from: McColm on July 26, 2011, 10:06:56 AM
Anyone got a copy they'd lend me?

I'd be delighted to loan you mine IF ONLY THE LAST PERSON TO BORROW IT WOULD RETURN IT!!!

9780330020596  is the ISBN  and you may be able to request a copy from your local library through the UK inter library loan service. Abe books have used copies for sale at about 75p plus p&p each.  If I can't find where my copy has gone, I'm going to be in the queue after you!

PR19_Kit

Along with Brian Lecomber's 'Talk Down' Gavin's 'Shooting Script' are the two most KNACKERED books in my library. Goodness knows how many times I've read them both, usually one after the other too!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

light bulb flashing in head. A new topic the Whiff Library-books to read at bedtime!!

Geoff

I am doing a "Bollywood Does the Battle of Britain group build" with another member of the Keigthly club. We have been trying to work out what to use as a camera plane, we had thought of a B-25 but wanted something sillier. Any suggestions please (it has to be in 1/72nd scale)???

scooter

Quote from: Geoff on August 01, 2011, 01:37:07 PM
I am doing a "Bollywood Does the Battle of Britain group build" with another member of the Keigthly club. We have been trying to work out what to use as a camera plane, we had thought of a B-25 but wanted something sillier. Any suggestions please (it has to be in 1/72nd scale)???

H.P. 42?  If you can find on in 72d.  How about a Boeing 247?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng