Tupolev Tu-90

Started by tc2324, July 27, 2011, 03:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

In the late 1940s the Soviet Union was strongly committed to matching the United States in strategic bombing capability. The Soviets' only long-range bomber at the time was Tupolev's Tu-4 'Bull', a reverse-engineered version of the American B-29 Superfortress. The development of the extremely powerful Mikulin AM-3 turbojet led to the possibility of a large, jet-powered bomber.
The Tupolev design bureau began work on the Tu-90 ("Aircraft P") prototypes in 1949. To save time and resources the new turbo jets, wing and tail designs were mated to the already existing Tu-4 fuselage. The Tu-90 prototype first flew on 2 April 1950, however, it soon became apparent that the cockpit layout and bomb bay would need to be redesigned to take into account the visibility at great speeds and larger weapons now coming into service.

By 1954, the now re-designated Tu-16, started to reach front line units in the Soviet Air force.

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Army of One

Oh I like that.....some great surgery n no doubt loadsa PSR.....great result..... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

arkon

the plastic gods demand sacrifice

chrisonord

I am really really liking this, I would like one of these for my cartel airforce. :thumbsup: What scale is it please??
Cheers,
chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

The Rat

Fantastic! I'm sure it was a lot of work, but the concept is so simple that it's a wonder we haven't seen one before. Great work!  :wub: :thumbsup: :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

ChernayaAkula

Wow! This looks so very believable!  :bow:
This could easily pass for an actual early Soviet jet bomber design.  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Eddie M.

Quote from: The Rat on July 27, 2011, 05:00:46 PM
Fantastic! I'm sure it was a lot of work, but the concept is so simple that it's a wonder we haven't seen one before. Great work!  :wub: :thumbsup: :cheers:

+1. I love it!!
Look behind you!

Taiidantomcat

Brilliant! Simply Brilliant  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

NARSES2

That really does look the part  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

karlik

great idea, great work  :thumbsup:
like it  :wub:

tc2324

Cheers guys.  :thumbsup:

Chris, it`s 1/72 scale.

Army of One, I can safely say that getting an oval fuselage to fit onto a round one was..., shall we say..., challenging!  :banghead: :lol:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

frank2056

This really looks like a believable Soviet design. I'm surprised they didn't try something like this. I was planning on doing something similar with a 1/144 B-29 and a set of 1/200 B-52 wings.

Supertom

"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Rheged

Quote from: arkon on July 27, 2011, 04:27:52 PM
that is realy cool :thumbsup:

Agreed. This is another  occasion when the "BIG RED STAR" should be awarded for an excellent  Whiff
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

tanktastic43

Very pretty. Very believable.  :thumbsup:

tt43.