Range instrumentation aircraft

Started by Hobbes, July 29, 2011, 10:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

In the 1960s, NASA developed an aircraft to be used as radio relay for their Apollo missions. The aircraft (8 were built) were modified C-135s known as ARIA (Apollo Range Instrumentation Aircraft). They used a dish antenna in a large nose fairing to communicate with spacecraft. The aircraft were used for various other telemetry and tracking duties as well (incl. testing of ballistic missiles).

Eventually, the ARIA aircraft were superseded by the TDRSS satellites.

If Europe (or Britain on its own) had developed a space program, something similar would have been needed. Ground stations can cover only part of an orbit; over sea you need either ships or aircraft. The Russians used ships (most famously the Yuri Gagarin) for this role.

You can guess where this is going, no?

Maybe I should do my AEW.3 with ESA markings?

lenny100

now that right out of the box go for it
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

pyro-manic

Sounds like a grand idea! What about leaving the tail radome off, so you get a machine that looks very much like the ARIA? Or a Shackleton with a big dorsal hump like the EC-121 Warning Star? Alternatively a V-Bomber could work quite well too. For ships, a modified Type 82 destroyer? Remove the Sea Dart launcher and radars, add a hangar to the stern, and fit tracking and communications gear in place of the forward 909 and turret.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Steel Penguin

i was going to do a zoom climb version, 1:48 tsr2 with a pair of Jag recon pods under the wings and a recon belly pack, with NASA ids.. possibly a spine canoe as well
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Weaver

For a ship version, how about an old pre-angled-deck RN carrier (Aoshima do some I think) with domes on the flight deck?

For a plane, how about a VC-10 with the radar nose?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Hobbes

I've seen a model of the VC-10 with a radar nose somewhere (basically the Nimrod AEW conversion grafted onto the VC-10). 

I've been thinking about more aircraft etc. in ESA livery, I've got an Airbus Beluga that I want to do in alternate markings (initial thoughts were Heavylift, but ESA would be nice too). I'll have to see if I can find some real-world examples. 

Rheged

Quote from: Steel Penguin on July 29, 2011, 02:07:08 PM
i was going to do a zoom climb version, 1:48 tsr2 with a pair of Jag recon pods under the wings and a recon belly pack, with NASA ids.. possibly a spine canoe as well
I am (very slowly) working on a Lightning that was to be used as a vertical chase plane for NASA.....its in another thread somewhere..... given the  lightning's rate of climb its not totally alien space bat territory........ and this thread allows me to have UK Space Force Lightning based at Carlisle or Newcastle, acting as a chase plane for launches at Spadeadam.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Quote from: Hobbes on July 30, 2011, 12:57:27 AM
I've seen a model of the VC-10 with a radar nose somewhere (basically the Nimrod AEW conversion grafted onto the VC-10). 

I've been thinking about more aircraft etc. in ESA livery, I've got an Airbus Beluga that I want to do in alternate markings (initial thoughts were Heavylift, but ESA would be nice too). I'll have to see if I can find some real-world examples. 

If you replaced the Beluga's cargo door with a fibreglass radome, that would probably work.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Hobbes

Nice idea; my thought was to use the Beluga for cargo, e.g. delivering rocket parts to the launch site.

This is a satellite being delivered to the Kourou spaceport, on an Antonov 124:

The only aircraft I can find that's actually operated by ESA is their zero-G Airbus A300:

So nothing like NASA's fleet. To be fair, ESA is a lot smaller; quite a few of the functions done by NASA in the US, can be found in national agencies in Europe. The national aviation authorities probably have the sort of aircraft I had expected. Still, that only gives more scope for what-ifs.

Hobbes

I haven't found the VC-10 model with radome I was looking for, but I did find this CGI:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on July 30, 2011, 05:07:56 AM
I haven't found the VC-10 model with radome I was looking for, but I did find this CGI:

Lovely looking device, even with the radomes!

How come they look good on a VC10 and not on a Nimrod?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Your talking about this as a modern thing, which is fair enough, but my original suggestion of the VC.10 was based on the idea that it would be in the 1960/70s, since the ARIA-type aircraft would probably be superceded by satellites in the same way as the US ones at some point.

The Concorde program is often described as Europe's moonshot: what if we took that literally and had Britain and France spending the money on an actual moonshot, or at least a greatly enhanced space program, instead?

- Indiana Jones

Steel Penguin

Weaver,  Concorde to the stars....  rocket boost scramjet powered,  a euro  Orient express, UK to oz flight times slashed, the ability to reach and service "Falstaff"   i like the idea.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on July 30, 2011, 05:50:28 AM
The Concorde program is often described as Europe's moonshot: what if we took that literally and had Britain and France spending the money on an actual moonshot, or at least a greatly enhanced space program, instead?

Both the Governements would probably have spent so much on travelling to umpteen  meetings that the project would run over budget and the next Government would have cancelled it...........  :banghead:

Me cynical? You bet!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit