Grumman/Basler GT-44A Turbo Gosling

Started by Spey_Phantom, July 31, 2011, 02:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

i finally got some inspiration to whiff, and i thought i would start of small with a little conversion.
after seeing some pics of turboprop converted DC-3's ans S-2 Trackers, i thought why not try the same thing to that Airfix 1/72 Gosling i got in the stash.
for the conversion, im gonna use a pair of 3-bladed props from an academy OV-10D Bronco (witch i was gonna fit with 2 4-bladed props) and the Garrett AiResearch TPE331 Engines from a revell Do228 (witch im gonna convert into a regional Jet liner, using engines from a scrapped 1/144 AN-124).

the airfix kit is moulded in a way that makes it easy to fit any kind of engine in there  ;D

anyway, here's the kit

the props

and the new engines

as for markings and further converting, im thinking of making it into a light Fire Fighting aircraft.
for markings im thinking either USCG (modern), Canadian AF, German Navy and French or Belgian Civil Protection services.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

ok, wings done and engines fitted after some minor adjustments, the Golsing almost looks moulded to accomodate the new engines, im looking at more future conversions  ;D

dry fit engine + prop

engines done.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Army of One

Great little conversion there.....seems easy enough.....at least you have made it look easy enough.......... :thumbsup:......

Wonder what Chrisonord would think.....mmm...Cartel coastal patroller/light attack....gun nose....light stores under the wing...a waist gunner....?
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

PR19_Kit

Having built a Gosling umpteen years ago I note the exemplary fit of the parts, especially around the nose........NOT!

Best of luck with it, I love the idea and it should make a neat looking aircraft even neater.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Big Gimper

Hi Nils:

Cool Stuff. Great minds think alike. And as for fools, well they always use the OV-10D as their donor kit.  ;)

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,33149.msg517061/topicseen.html#new

Carl
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

sequoiaranger

That should come out nicely! I love the little Grumman amphibs. I got to fly in a Goose from Long Beach to Catalina some years back, IN THE COPILOT'S SEAT! Loved it!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

chrisonord

Quote from: Army of One on July 31, 2011, 04:44:22 AM
Great little conversion there.....seems easy enough.....at least you have made it look easy enough.......... :thumbsup:......

Wonder what Chrisonord would think.....mmm...Cartel coastal patroller/light attack....gun nose....light stores under the wing...a waist gunner....?
I did a turbo prop gosling/widgeon a while back, the engines I used on mine were a pair of astazou's from a Pucara, and a pair of OV-10 props. The engines fit on as though they were made for the job too. I have put pics of it on here also, it is painted dark blue and red. It belongs to the Cartel also and is used as a VIP/"product" transport.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!