Me 262--Allan's new project

Started by Allan, August 02, 2011, 03:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dumaniac

Allan

I purchased a box of disposable pipettes a few years ago - A$40 or similar - I usually take 2 mls of paint and one ml of thinners - it makes for a repeatable mixing formula

again I use ModelMaster paint - and automotive general purpose thinners

Also don't use the thinner pipette first and then use it to draw up the paint - the small amount of thinners in the paint bottle makes the paint go off more quickly over time

well that is what works for me and my paint in my environment

cheers

Bernie

dumaniac

Matrixone

thanks for your comments - I have been down to 5 psi - I'll have to give the lower pressures a go - and yes, I have a gravity feed cup

I used to have a sipon or suck-up air brush but found the gravity feed better for these low pressure jobs

Cheers

Bernie

matrixone

Allan,
For reasons I can't explain mixing the paint in the airbrush color cup has never worked very well for spraying fine detail work, when I do mix in the color cup I get the grainy effect and its not because the paint is not thinned enough, I can have almost no paint and a lot of thinner in the color cup and still get that grainy look if I mixed it in the color cup of the airbrush.
What I do is use some tiny cheap plastic cups I found in a store and mix my paint and thinner in them and pour the paint in the color cup of the airbrush just before I am ready to start painting. Its important to add the mixed paint at the last minute because the paint and thinner will seperate if you wait too long and you don't want that to happen because the heavier paint particles will sink and clog the airbrush nozzle and give you the paint spatter/grainy effect.
Another thing that I do just before painting is to add a few drops of raw thinner in the airbrush and spray that through the airbrush to make sure the airbrush is 100% ready to go, then I will add the paint.

dumaniac,
I also have a couple siphon feed airbrushes but there is no way they can spray fine detail as good as the gravity feed airbrushes, the low PSI such as 5 and under that is needed for micro-airbrushing might not be enough for the siphon feed airbrushes to work.

Matrixone

dumaniac

Hi Guys

Its winter here so I have no played with the air brush for a while - the study I am doing in also playing havoc with modelling.

Matrixone has reminded me - usually after a spray job, I run a cup of thinners through the air brush to try the clean out any residual paint.  Once it is empty, I fill the cup with thinners and leave it on the rack until next time.  At way next spraying event, I start up the pressure and run the thinners (already in the cup) through the air brush and it seems to set everything up right for that day's painting.

again these are things that work for me and my paints and environments - we all have to find what works for us - there will be no single thing that works for everyone.

Been great for the chit-chat

Bernie

Allan

here're some more photos--the next photos I post after this will be of the completed model
Allan

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jeremak

Wow! Colours are non-typical and great, can't wait for it's backstory.

Pablo1965

Well, finally you've mastered, It´s a awesome plane. congratulations! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

matrixone

Allan

thanks very much, fellows, and here she is finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I learned quite a few things making this model, like I must work on my canopy masking and spraying technique and take greater care to ensure that model has enough weight in the nose
Allan

James

matrixone

Those wingtip drop tanks give it a 1950s look. :thumbsup:

Matrixone

AXU

pyro-manic

Very, very nice indeed. Great result! :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<