What sort of whiffer are you?

Started by GTX, August 13, 2011, 02:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

PR19_Kit

JCF, you should have been at Telford last year, the stand opposite the Whiff SIG was wall to wall Allsorts!  ;D

I spent much of my working life as a development engineer of some sort or another, and thus my interest in aviation modelling is also of the development process. I love aircraft like the Spitfire and Harrier, both whom show a methodical, mark by mark development process through their lives. It's only a small step from there for me to 'develop' aircraft marks that the manufacturers didn't actually get around to doing themselves, my Meteor PR19 is a classic case of this, it's the only Mark no. that Gloster or Armstrong Whitworth DIDN'T get around to building.

I also have a prediliction to RAF or FAA aircraft, but that's hardly surprising as own life has been heavily influenced by the RAF.

Before I got seriously into Whiffing I did a lot of airliner models, and still do, and that interest has extended into my Whiffing too. In the RW the airliner people do the 'development' bit by making longer and longer, and sometimes, shorter, versions of the same shape, here the classic case is the DC9/MD80/MD90 series. This makes it very easy to both extend and shorten their ideas into something off the wall. One day I'll finish my 777-900 and you'll see exactly what I mean!

Perhaps an Airbus A312 might be fun too....... ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Well my modelling is split probably 50/50 Wif/Real world - varies over time. Currently real world has more on the bench then Wif.

As a wiffer I'm really a "re-painter". Mainly 1930 to 1950 visualisations of aircraft in different countries to which they were intended markings and the more obscure types or prototypes in operational markings. Build a fair bit of resin because of my love of these oddballs  ;D

I do have a broad scenario into which most of these fit but am more then happy to build one offs which either don't fit my scenario or my main period of interest.

Principally aircraft with the occasional bit of armour and currently a ship (thanks Geoff  ;D) on the bench

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lancer

At the moment I'm the 'Not building very much of anything due to severe depression kind'! Normally though I build 50/50 real world and wiff, and those wiffs are normally alternate RAF and FAA as well as British aircraft in foriegn service. I'll also partake in group builds that appeal to me and of course build theme subjects for SIG displpays.

I like the idea of back stories and have written a couple but my creative juices have dried up of late so I don't write any more now.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

kitnut617

I build RW and Whiff but the percentage differential depends on how the wind blows.  At the moment it tends to be all Whiffs with a number of projects on the go.  These projects have some sort of truth to them although that does tend to get stretched a bit and my interest is mainly aircraft from about the mid 1930's to now and almost exclusively in 1/72 scale.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Old Wombat

I model Sci Fi & Whif, mostly.

SF, generally, gets the "out-there" treatment but I also have a tendency to burn-out on those builds faster as I tend to overstretch my scratch'n'bash abilities.

Whif stuff tends to be very "near real" (so far) with only minor mod's & whif markings - I might try something more radical in the not too distant future.

Haven't tried to build "real world" since the 1980's.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

matrixone

As some might have figured out by now I like to build RW late war Luftwaffe and Luft'46 whifs, in my collection its hard to tell where the RW stops and the whiffs begins...its almost a seamless transition. Some of my whiffs are so close to RW you can't really call them Luft'46. ;D

Matrixone

Hobbes

I'm all over the place. This forum has infected me with an interest in British unbuilt projects, and I like my whifs to be at least plausible. I do real-but-oddball projects as well. I'm easily distracted, so it's difficult to build to a theme.

Geoff

Quote from: Hobbes on August 14, 2011, 10:37:17 AM
I'm all over the place. This forum has infected me with an interest in British unbuilt projects, and I like my whifs to be at least plausible. I do real-but-oddball projects as well. I'm easily distracted, so it's difficult to build to a theme.

I'm much the same - I like "near real" Wifs, and do real world stuff. but move back and forth between them as the flow goes.

Alvis 3.14159

My What-Ifs fall into a few categories:
RCAF/CF Coulda beens: Planes Canada could or should have gotten.
Modified RW things: Mild modifications to make something more cool than it already is, like a swept wing Seahawk.
Just plain silly: This is where most of my builds seem to fall. I think I'm actuially a frustrated stand-up comedian, who uses styrene to make funny stories better. I like doing the back stories as much, or sometimes more than the model.
Stuff what annoys: Models I make to annoy or irritae people who I feel nee da little hot air let out of them. See my "Jackal island" series for this.

Alvis Pi

tanktastic43

One that has 'good ideas', but can never really translate them into a decent physical form.
One that has a few projects on the go but doesn't get round to completing them.

tt43.

arkon

the slow kind,got one ive had goin for 2 years(what im workin on now) and one that started quick but has since stalled due to my inability to print my own decals(ROT tripe) for r/w stuff i like ww1 ,for all else anything goes, sci-fi n such.and paper cause they ear cheap if not free!
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

Archangel

I have done ships,planes and Sci Fi stuff for years. So I am all over the map I guess.

Litvyak

Canadian.

RW or whiff, it's a 99% chance the subject is Canadian. Since I got back into building aircraft kits, I've done only two non-Canadian subjects - a Hungarian MiG-21 and a USN QF-4.

As far as the actual building goes, most of what I build is RW, while most of my whiffery is profiles and writing; but, I did start an RCN CF-110N (F-4, as per my 'Alternate Canada' thread here), and I have an Italeri Su-34 kit on the shelf awaiting construction as an RCAF CF-234. Both of my current WIPs are Canadian RW (CP-140 407 Sqn white/grey symmetrical, and CT-114 Golden Centennaires).
C-A-NZ-UK!

Steel Penguin

i have fun ...
i do real world, ( some for wargaming some not) and whif ( ditto) and out and out fantasy ( star ships, scfi tanks, fantasy figs)  but if it aint fun i aint doing it..
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!