What sort of whiffer are you?

Started by GTX, August 13, 2011, 02:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I'm another +1 to Gregs type, 'plausible' builds, mostly aircraft.  I especially like to take an operator of platform that was considered real world, but never happened.  However, I do like the mad kitbash & I started one several years back but never finished it.  Subject wise I've recentley diversified a little to do some real world armour, an aborted attempt at a ship & I'd like to do some sci-fi.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

Hi,
I mainly use 1/72 for most of my builds. Usually there is an AEW theme or maritime patrol. I have ventured into 1/144 scale but this is proving too fiddlely for me.
I like the querky builds, using my spare parts bin.
I have a collection of 1/24 and 1/25 model car kits with a tendancy leaning towards the estate/station wagon build.
My other passion is model train oo/HO layouts for confined spaces, stored under the bed.

sandiego89

I am mostly into jets, 1940's to 1970's.  For me it should be plausible, usually noisy and cool- near real is best.  ZELL, V/STOL and lots of power are always plusses.  I have an affinity from the the 1950's were practicallity was not always a primary concern (tail sitters, ships, jet seaplanes, VTOL). I like the challenge of a structural or weapon modification. Not too interested in just color/livery changes, needs to be a little more.

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

The Wooksta!

A damned good one, a veteran of many battles.  And it's my ******* model at that.

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

pyro-manic

I do pretty much anything, as long as it interests me. I've never built a real-world subject, though I have occasionally been tempted. My tastes range from straight-forward colour/markings changes on aircraft through to daft Japanese mecha, and everything in between. Finishing what I start is a slight issue - I get ideas much more quickly than I can build them. Plus I don't really like painting - I'm happiest covered in plastic shavings and high on poly cement fumes.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Taiidantomcat

I love whifs that are almost weres, or one that are so close they can fool people. Having said that I actually build very few of them myself (though I have a couple planned) I tend to Whif by Genre, shown here by order of importance:

Sci Fi (very esoteric subjects as i think about it  ;) )
Russia
Japan
Britian
Germany
Tomcats!

All of the above have sci fi twists usually. I do a few others here or there but for the most part its taking things like a Tomcat and Making it Russian or Japanese, or taking a teen fighter and making it a star fighter. I tend to kitbash more using the "rule of cool," rather than plausibility.   I am still trying to get better at kitbashing/scratchbuilding/reinventing (A wheel becomes a hatch, etc). I want to do propeller planes like Pablo speaking of whom I am very curious to see his answer

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

philp

My modeling is mostly 1/72nd scale whether aircraft, armor, boats, sci-fi, etc.  Like the comparison from a Spitfire, Sherman, PT-Boat, B-17, X-wing, etc.

That said my whiffing has been done on reasonable possibilities and should have beens basically with just a change in markings.  I have some conversions/other ideas out there and will probably happen with a what if before trying a RW change.

I will do armor in 1/35th and autos in 24/25th (though mostly "show" cars or Show cars) and starships in most any scale (though a 72nd scale NCC-1701 would be cool).

I also like to dabble in humor (well, at least I think they are funny).  Will write up the Carpet Monster Trophy sometime soon, promise.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Gondor

I like to build 1/72 aircraft though I have been known to build the occasional 1/35 armour kit as well. My intrests have mainly been real world and I still will build some aircraft that way though these days when I do build it is usually a whiff.
My whiffs are usually subtle or at least I prefer subtle whiffs, ones that make people look twice to double take what is on offer.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Sentinel Chicken

I build braille scale, 1/144 aircraft and prefer to build things that "could have happened" or at least make people think "Hmmm, that would have been COOL to see." Still my favorite of what I have done so far, my modernized attack Vigilante:

pyro-manic

Quote from: philp on August 18, 2011, 09:19:36 PM
a 72nd scale NCC-1701 would be cool

You have a barn handy to keep it in then? ;D
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

GTX

An Addendum to my entry:

I have also come to realise that I have a great like for Aircraft Carrier related whiffs - in fact I am already working up the basis for a whole set of Alternate Kriegsmarine Marineflieger aircraft.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

giraffeboy

I model all sorts, mostly real, however, being a bit of a Concorde fanatic I am building a vip and bomber versions. I prefer to capture the general atmosphere of the subject, rather than intricate detail. :D

Geoff

Quote from: GTX on August 20, 2011, 12:12:04 PM
An Addendum to my entry:

I have also come to realise that I have a great like for Aircraft Carrier related whiffs - in fact I am already working up the basis for a whole set of Alternate Kriegsmarine Marineflieger aircraft.

Regards,

Greg

Have you read "Tragerflotten"?

kitbasher

I am:
- someone who's glad they got into whiffing as it lifted me out of a modelling rut.
- someone who thinks whiffing brings the fun back into modelling.
- someone who only works in 1/72.
- someone who's modellling skills have improved as a result of whiffing.
- someone who prefers to create a 'new' aircraft or a 'new' or previously unknown mark of an existing aircraft (mostly British). 
- someone who prefers to strive to produce plausible whifs, even if some are flights of fancy.  That said, two of my efforts I'm most pleased with are an Army Air Corps Norseman and an RAF MD Hornet.
- someone who thinks some of his whifs work a lot better than some of his others.
- someone who gets a lot of inspiration from this forum.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

jcf

Quote from: GTX on August 20, 2011, 12:12:04 PM
An Addendum to my entry:

Regards,

Greg

One note about terminology, Marineflieger is a post-war Bundesluftwaffe designation.
During the KM period the aviation elements were the Seefliegerkräfte.