Stockholm Syndrome

Started by Gondor, August 18, 2011, 11:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

IPMS Stockholm have a paint guide section to their web site which I am sure that most people who use this forum are aweare of. Recently I have found out how fraught and mind bending the use of this site is while trying to convert some colours from a Hasegawa kit instruction sheet into Humbrol colours as they are the easiest colours for me to buy as I am in the UK. Don't get me wrong, Humbrol paint is fine as far as I am concerned and so are Japanese paints, just try matching up the two though.... :blink:

Hasagawa instructions quote Aqueous Hobby Color and Mr Color paints so I started my search with the paint type which was used on the Marking & Painting guide of the instructions. Both of the two paints I was looking at had FS reference numbers turn up when the IPMS Stockholm site was used and cross referencing these numbers produced colour chips of each, Wonderfull! However no Humbrol numbers for either. I then tried to match the FS numbers to Humbrol numbers with no result. Next I looked at the colours recommended on a set of aftermarket decals I have for one of my kits. This confused me even more until I decided not to use the numbers given as the colours were nothing like the ones I was looking for! :banghead:

So doing  :banghead: was looking like a good idea the more I progressed with my search. One last try I thought so I looked at the Mr Colour paint numbers on the IPMS Stockholm site. Both numbers had Humbrol equivalent  :blink: and whats more I actually had both in stock  :party:
I decided for a change to test out the paint on the inside of one of the aircraft I am building, just to be sure it was OK as some of my paint has not been used in twenty years or maybe longer. Fortunately both paints are in good condition and have actually dried close enough to what I am looking for so the whole effort has turned out to be worth while and will be more so later this year when I have actually finished one of the aircraft that will carry the paint scheme I was looking at the paint for.

So after all the problem I have had I thought I would share them so that others may know that is is possible to beat the Stockholm Syndrome.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Quote from: Overkiller on August 18, 2011, 11:15:01 AM
Maybe you are already aware of The Ultimate Paint Guide?

:cheers:

Duncan

Forgot about it and I am now unfortunatly haveing to use my other pc which I have not used for a while so is out of date with a lot of information. Thank you for reminding me of that site Duncan

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Overkiller on August 18, 2011, 11:15:01 AM
Maybe you are already aware of The Ultimate Paint Guide?

Cor, ain't that the business!  :o

How have I managed to be a modeller for a zillion years without knowing about that? Thanks for the link Duncan, I can see that site being of GREAT use!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Great! I've bookmarked it! Thanks! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est