Whiffy Spitfires....

Started by Radish, August 20, 2011, 05:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Over the years I've built a few in 1/48th, mostly based on the Airfix Spitfire 22/24 and Seafire 46/47. ..

Israeli, Lithuanian, Portuguese, Druid Revolt, Rhodesia, etcc
Also Crusader Spitfires (VB and XVI) and USAAF P-53D of Don Gentile, with 4 x 0.5in (a US production Spitfire)

Amongst the current crop of 1/48th Spitfires is an XVIC....the XVI from Occidental (I picked a few up for £5 each with no decals, but the wing is a "C"....panels for the "E" wing are given, but I'll use them on Academy XIVCs.) This will most likely be a Polish one.

Plans for my growing collection of Airfix XIIs too, as it's such a beautiful kit that fits together delightfully.
First "up" are two Biggles Spits that feature in short stories from "Biggles Goes To Telford" for the Biggles SIG.....
a Yugoslavian Post-War XII and a French XII. Both are FR versions with a camera.
Other XIIs that spring to mind are SAAF, USAAF, "Pink" RAF low-level reconnaisance, Egyptian.... :party:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

NARSES2

Now a pink low level recce Mk XII sounds  :thumbsup: How about a SAAF one in that gorgeous Mk V scheme you have the profile for, PR Blue over light med blue ? I know the Mk XII was no high altitude bird but this is Wif world.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

mkhulu

Quote from: Radish on August 20, 2011, 05:57:16 AM
Other XIIs that spring to mind are SAAF, USAAF, "Pink" RAF low-level reconnaisance, Egyptian.... :party:

I had some 1/48 SAAF Springbok roundels decals (as per my avatar) custom printed.

You are more than welcome to some of these custom decals should you wish to do a SAAF Spitfire
Going nowhere slowly

RotorheadTX

Spitfire XVIA - Heller kit, DE/DG/Sky colors, three-blade prop and spinner and 3-per side fishtail exhausts from an Airfix Mk.V, A-type 8-gun wing with Mk.V oil cooler and rad arrangement; I still haven't decided on back-dating the rudder, but it will probably come off the Mk.V as well.

RotorheadTX

Quote from: mkhulu on August 20, 2011, 08:46:32 AM
I had some 1/48 SAAF Springbok roundels decals (as per my avatar) custom printed.
You are more than welcome to some of these custom decals should you wish to do a SAAF Spitfire

I've got a sheet from an SAAF Sabre set, but no instructions. What is the proper orientation of the wing roundels?

T.I.A.
Tony

Geoff

Forward and towards the fuselage on the wings IIRC and forward on the fuselage.

PR19_Kit

For years and years there was zero hope of anyone making a Mk XII. Now we're up to our neck in them!  ;D

I'm dead pleased, it's the 'hot rod' of the Spitfire world, but I bet people will start to ask me which kit my 1/72 one was built from. There were so many kits involved in making it I've forgotten which ones they were now!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 20, 2011, 06:11:26 AM
Now a pink low level recce Mk XII sounds  :thumbsup: How about a SAAF one in that gorgeous Mk V scheme you have the profile for, PR Blue over light med blue ? I know the Mk XII was no high altitude bird but this is Wif world.

Done it but it's not quite finished. 

As for an HF XII, the early Griffon wasn't much cop above 20,000, certainly no better than a 2 stage Merlin. Given that the Luftwaffe struggled for most of the war to cobble together a halfway reasonable let alone useful high altitude fighter, the HFVII was more than good enough. Besides which, most air fighting was done at low to medium altitudes - which is why the Navy stuck with the single stage Griffon for the Seafire 15 and 17. 

1944 and the advent of the D-9 is countered by the F.XIV with a two stage Merlin plus the F21 was in development and that would have been available as an HF version (got one of those on the bench too).  A 14 or 21 in that HF scheme would be far more plausible.

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 20, 2011, 09:45:11 AM
For years and years there was zero hope of anyone making a Mk XII. Now we're up to our neck in them!  ;D

I'm dead pleased, it's the 'hot rod' of the Spitfire world, but I bet people will start to ask me which kit my 1/72 one was built from. There were so many kits involved in making it I've forgotten which ones they were now!

At The Military Museum (ex-Museum of the Regiments) in Calgary, there's a real RCN Seafire Mk.XV which is basically a Naval Mk.XII. It even has the four blade prop.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 22, 2011, 01:21:25 PM
1944 and the advent of the D-9 is countered by the F.XIV with a two stage Merlin plus the F21 was in development and that would have been available as an HF version (got one of those on the bench too).  A 14 or 21 in that HF scheme would be far more plausible.

Erm, surely the Mk XIV had a Griffon engine?  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 22, 2011, 01:38:04 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 22, 2011, 01:21:25 PM

Erm, surely the Mk XIV had a Griffon engine?  :-\

Slip of the finger
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

gofy

I want pics of the US spits
In my opinion, British, Canadian, or USAF markings make things look so much better...

Pablo1965

One idea, however humble, chasing me for years. As you know, the model of high-altitude fighter Mk.IX was based primarily on the extent of its size in the wing tip. What if we were to add a few ribs on the center wing section? And if this allows more fuel tanks? What if the flaps were larger because of this? What if .....? I do not know if I said what I wanted, but you can ask me about it. :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

That might have made a lot of sense Pablo. They could have moved the undercarriage leg mountings outboard as well and made it more stable on the ground.

Mind you, it'd be a bitch to model, with that curved wing/fuselage joint.......  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Pablo1965

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 25, 2011, 02:37:52 AM
That might have made a lot of sense Pablo. They could have moved the undercarriage leg mountings outboard as well and made it more stable on the ground.

Mind you, it'd be a bitch to model, with that curved wing/fuselage joint.......  :banghead:

I did not think in the undercarriage, but even could close towards the center. :thumbsup: