Concorde Bomber Progress

Started by giraffeboy, August 20, 2011, 12:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

This is looking really good  :thumbsup: Plus I go for the hidden boom idea. It would have been designed in, rather then added latter in my view
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Also, even if added later; there's plenty of room in the Concorde to house an internal refueling probe mechanism. Fitting that on a Lightning would be a lot harder.

And Concorde cruises at Mach 2 for long distances, the drag penalty would be bigger than for the short-ranged Lightning.

Pablo1965

This is going well, It will be a great plane. :thumbsup: :cheers: :bow:

giraffeboy

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments :) I have added a couple of doors that represent the retracted refueling probe, on top of the fuselage above the forward fuselage.

Are there any other feature i need to consider? One thing i'm thinking of is what to do with the rear of the engines, do i use the origonal bucket type nozzle or do i try something new? I remember that kitnut617 did something with the exhausts, i'll have a look at the build thread for his Bombcorde.

Oh and there's the question of what to call it - was thinking of it starting with V - Valiant, Vengence, Vanquish - anyone got any ideas?

kitnut617

Quote from: giraffeboy on August 22, 2011, 03:58:20 PM
One thing i'm thinking of is what to do with the rear of the engines, do i use the origonal bucket type nozzle or do i try something new? I remember that kitnut617 did something with the exhausts, i'll have a look at the build thread for his Bombcorde.

I've read that the RAF version wasn't going to have the thrust reverser buckets so I'm using a set of 'turkey feathers' from a B-1B (that's the USAF one BTW).  My LMS owner told me that some F-15 nozzles would work too.

But be warned, there's a bit of work to do to the nacelles because what Airfix did to them is a bit weird.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Devilfish

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments :) I have added a couple of doors that represent the retracted refueling probe, on top of the fuselage above the forward fuselage.

Just remember (altho it's prob too late now) that with the probe and drogue technique we use, that the boom and basket will need to be seen by the pilot in the cockpit.  With your set up I'd say visibility is limited. Maybe adding a small faired in camera or something for the pilot to use during refuelling?

Are there any other feature i need to consider? One thing i'm thinking of is what to do with the rear of the engines, do i use the origonal bucket type nozzle or do i try something new? I remember that kitnut617 did something with the exhausts, i'll have a look at the build thread for his Bombcorde.

The prototypes had "military" style exhausts, so this is definately within the realms of probability.  Also remember the engines are essentially TSR2 engines...

Oh and there's the question of what to call it - was thinking of it starting with V - Valiant, Vengence, Vanquish - anyone got any ideas?

Velociraptor?  lol

Still looking for a 1/72 concorde to go along side my B-70 and Vulcan B3.......

Cobra

if You're going with a V Name,howabout calling it Vortex? or maybe Vexar? either of those Work for You? Dan

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 22, 2011, 05:33:49 PM
I've read that the RAF version wasn't going to have the thrust reverser buckets so I'm using a set of 'turkey feathers' from a B-1B (that's the USAF one BTW).  My LMS owner told me that some F-15 nozzles would work too.

How the devil were they going to stop it?  :o

Was it going to use a monster tail chute, or Bucaneer type air brakes?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

giraffeboy

I cant really put the probe anywhere else, becauase of the shockwave made at the nose. I'll add a camera with a fairing though.

I found a solution to the exhaust nozzles - tomato puree tupes have a cap that looks very simmilar to the prototype ones - and they are the perfect diameter!

And the Prototype Concordes had parachutes :

So I'll copy the design of of them :)

Don't forget that Concorde was the first airliner to use Carbon Fibre brakes, which were immensly powerful :)

And so far after a look through a dictionary, name suggestions are :

Valhalla - From mythology, its the name of odins hall where he ate slain heroes

Valkyrie - I know its been used already, but .... :)

Vamoose - meaning to go quickly

Vampire

Vortex

Vexar

Velociraptor

Vanguard

Vanquish

Valiant

Vantage

Vengeance

Vulture

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 23, 2011, 01:12:15 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on August 22, 2011, 05:33:49 PM

How the devil were they going to stop it?  :o

Was it going to use a monster tail chute, or Bucaneer type air brakes?

I really don't know Kit, all I remember about the article was the note saying no reverser buckets, and another note saying it wouldn't have had the drooping nose either.  I had that 1968 RAF Year Book magazine for years after my Dad got it for me at that particular years Farnborough airshow, but somewhere along the way it's gone AWOL (probably when I did the move to Canada) as I can't find it anywhere. I did find my 1970-something one though, this has the first of RAF Phantom pics in it IIRC

kitnut617

I think that's the way to go GB, drag chute --

Hobbes

Quote from: giraffeboy on August 23, 2011, 05:36:23 AM
I cant really put the probe anywhere else, becauase of the shockwave made at the nose. I'll add a camera with a fairing though.

I can't see why, refueling will be done at subsonic speed, the probe will be retracted and out of the way while supersonic. I'd put it immediately behind the cockpit , so that it'll be visible from the cockpit window when extended.

giraffeboy

Well, its best to keep the nose as clean as possible, because otherwise it would interfere with the static air plates (the large hexagonal plates either side of the nose. ) And besides, its already glued! :) 

Captain Canada

Beauty.....this thread is a great read too !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.