F-6H Mustang, the forgotten PR aircraft.....

Started by PR19_Kit, August 22, 2011, 03:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I got back to doing some work on the F-6H as I've run out of Appliance White paint to do the engines of the 777-900 just now.

After a second coat of primer I got into the PSR routine yet again  :banghead: and I've almost got the wing joint (the word 'joint' is used in its WIDEST possible sense here....) sorted. Maybe another skimming of Presto will sort that, which is more than can be said about the canopy! It fits on top of the fuselage but that's about the best that can be said. If the front end lines up the rear doesn't and vice versa. I may be saved here by my plan to have it made from metal in that I can use oodles of PSR to smooth in the base. I hope so anyway!

Pablo, it's going to be all-over natural metal, or as near as I can get to it anyay, with the 10th TFG checquers on the fin, and the nose if I can make them fit, with the girlie and her name on the nose.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Geoff

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 22, 2011, 03:01:16 PM
No matter how hard you look, you'll not fnd a mention of the F-6H Mustang anywhere (except here....)
................... Naturally I'll need to extend the wings  ;) as the F-6H variant had a longer span than the P-51H to give it an exceptional high altitude performance,........................

Steps back in amazement!

Pablo1965

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 09, 2011, 12:45:04 PM

Pablo, it's going to be all-over natural metal, or as near as I can get to it anyay, with the 10th TFG checquers on the fin, and the nose if I can make them fit, with the girlie and her name on the nose.

I´m sure, will be a success :thumbsup:

comrade harps

I built one of those P-51Hs and it was the worst aligned model I've ever built, No two side the same. It looks OK from certain carefully selected angels, but from head-on it's totally skew-if. Good luck with it.
Whatever.

PR19_Kit

I agree 100% Comrade Harps!

It's a bit of a PSR queen for sure, but it came together eventually OK. Hopefully I'll get the first NM coat on it this weekend, then it should look a lot better.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Over the last month I've not done too much on the F-6H apart from two coats of Halfords Silver and some not very good panel re-scribing. It didn't work out too badly, good enough for Government work anyway, and today I started on the decals. Predictably the kit's decals fell apart when I tried to use them so my Academy P-51 B kit came to the rescue yet again. My own decals worked fine, apart from the fin tip blue/white chequers which were a PIG to fit, and will need some touch-up work.

The masking tape over the various bits of the canopy didn't really want to come off, but I eventually persuaded it to do so, so now the Mustang has a metal canopy, and very strange it looks too! The landing gear and prop go on tomorrow and that'll be that.

Regards
Kit

Martin H

looking good:)

so whats next for the long wing treatment?
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Pablo1965

Very interesting, and nice. It´s a different look of a mustang. I like it.  :bow: :bow:

raafif

very interesting  :thumbsup:

nice metal canopy for the pressurized cockpit.  Can you show us a good pic of the nose-art ?

however .......
                          the wings are still not loooonnggg enough  ;D
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on November 06, 2011, 02:28:08 PM
so whats next for the long wing treatment?

Almost everything.  ;D

I have my IL-28RV 'Mainbrace' still in build, the Sea Vixen PR3 has all the bits ready to go, there's always the other two PR19s of course and I've got another Russian thingie in my head and the plastic is partly obtained. Of course once Airfix deliver I'll do a long wing Angel Interceptor too. Is that enough to be going on with?   ;D

raffif,

I've only got a lo-res piccie of the nose art at the mo, but I may be able to find the original somewhere.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Looks interesting with that canopy Kit  :thumbsup:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 06, 2011, 04:31:00 PM
I've only got a lo-res piccie of the nose art at the mo, but I may be able to find the original somewhere.

I assume you mean the picture not the origional "young lady" as she must be a lttle old by now  :wacko:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sideshowbob9

Great stuff! I particularly like the canopy.  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 07, 2011, 06:52:57 AM
I assume you mean the picture not the origional "young lady" as she must be a lttle old by now  :wacko:

Hehe, indeed!  ;D

Actually I still know her, and she doesn't look too bad even now, but I doubt she'd pose like THAT again!  ;)

The metal canopy was JCF's idea, and it solved a few problems for me, so thank you Jon.

Regards
Kit

jcf

Looks great Kit.  :thumbsup:

The metal canopy really reinforces how much the Navion looks like a saloon version of the Mustang.  ;D

PR19_Kit

Jon, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking looking at the model tonight!  ;D Thanks for the inspiration.

Erm, just WHAT is that Navion doing on a carrier, and how did it get there?

Regards
Kit