Harrier and Sea Harrier

Started by Radish, March 12, 2003, 10:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 14, 2010, 02:43:51 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on January 13, 2010, 01:20:54 PM
The reason is that mixing the 1/72 and 1/48 parts don't work, I really need a 1/60 Harrier to make it work right.

What a pity Lincoln aren't still in business, I bet they'd have made one...........  :lol:

Would that be Lindberg, Kit ?  They did a 1/72 Harrier.  I can't find a manufacturer called Lincoln in my book ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 14, 2010, 06:24:19 AM
Would that be Lindberg, Kit ?  They did a 1/72 Harrier.  I can't find a manufacturer called Lincoln in my book ---

No, I really did mean Lincoln.

They were a small company that was around in the late 50s, early 60s, and always made kits to 'fit the box'. This resulted in some bizarre looking models with lots of parts jammed into smallish boxes. From memory their best ones were a Venom FB5 and a Sycamore helicopter, both were almost 1/72 which helped.

They just sort of faded out in the mid -60s, but you see the boxes at sales now and then, usually red and yellow with a blue-ish tinged piccie of the model on the lid.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 14, 2010, 06:51:11 AM

They were a small company that was around in the late 50s, early 60s, and always made kits to 'fit the box'. This resulted in some bizarre looking models with lots of parts jammed into smallish boxes. From memory their best ones were a Venom FB5 and a Sycamore helicopter, both were almost 1/72 which helped.

They just sort of faded out in the mid -60s, but you see the boxes at sales now and then, usually red and yellow with a blue-ish tinged piccie of the model on the lid.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

JayBee

Quote from: JayBee on January 14, 2010, 07:25:59 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 14, 2010, 06:51:11 AM

OOPs about that last one, I hit the wromg button.
Lincoln also did a Sunderland I which is almost exactly 1/144 scale. Not a bad wee kit if you can find it.
Lincoln was also later issued under the KADER lable.

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Zen

HSA Brough studied a STOL alternative to the P1127 (Harrier as it became), using a heavily blown wing. Project number I think P146. Eventualy became a light fighter/attack type for carriers.
A single reheated Spey engine for abotu mach 1.8, side inlets, twin ADEN 30mm cannon, wingtip 'Taildog' missiles, no radar, but the nose could accomodate such.
Circa 1965-1969.
To win without fighting, that is the mastry of war.

kitnut617

Quote from: JayBee on January 14, 2010, 07:28:22 AM

OOPs about that last one, I hit the wromg button.

You can delete your own posts Jim

Quote from: JayBee on January 14, 2010, 07:28:22 AM

Lincoln also did a Sunderland I which is almost exactly 1/144 scale. Not a bad wee kit if you can find it.
Lincoln was also later issued under the KADER lable.

JimB

Found Lincoln in my book, don't know why I missed it. Anyway, before we get haul up for 'Off-Topic', you mentioning Kader struck a bell Jim, I've got four International Models kits, all ex-Lincoln/Kader except one,the Connie, the others I have are the Britannia and two DC-7's.  (surplus to requirement BTW)

The Sunderland was 1/152 scale.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Quote from: Zen on January 14, 2010, 07:29:13 AM
HSA Brough studied a STOL alternative to the P1127 (Harrier as it became), using a heavily blown wing. Project number I think P146. Eventualy became a light fighter/attack type for carriers.
A single reheated Spey engine for abotu mach 1.8, side inlets, twin ADEN 30mm cannon, wingtip 'Taildog' missiles, no radar, but the nose could accomodate such.
Circa 1965-1969.

It evolved through the P.153 (to AST.396) and P.156 to P.159 (candidate for AST.403), gaining more wing area, an RB.199 and a bubble canopy and losing the LE blowing along the way as the mission became more and more air-to-air oriented. All versions were expected to be tasty little dogfighters, but I particularly like the P.153, which retained the full blowing for STOL. I see no reason, other than financial, why this couldn't have been in production by the mid 1970s and I suspect it would have sold like hot cakes around the world.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

norseman

A modified version of the RB.422 engine for the P.1216 was also worked on so that instead of the 3 pot arrangement it was slot in capable into the Harrier with the 4 pot arrangement. This gave approx 32,000lb dry thrust which would have been very interesting indeed!

There was also a twin linked Spey development for the P.1154 each driving 2 nozzles with the ability to compensate if one engine went down with a cross over system. The original design used PCB reheat but a later version briefly looked at before the project was cancelled involved just the upcoming increased thrust dry Spey's to work round the PCB problems (if it had continued this would have used the 17,500lb dry Spey that was available in the late 60's) giving a total of 35,000lb with no PCB deck heating issues. 

dy031101

Question about the Harrier II:

Other than the AN/ASB-19 system, does the AV-8B possess a bombing mode for the HUD or backup bomb sight of some sort (that can function without the ARBS)?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Weaver

Quote from: dy031101 on January 26, 2010, 11:40:22 AM
Question about the Harrier II:

Other than the AN/ASB-19 system, does the AV-8B possess a bombing mode for the HUD or backup bomb sight of some sort (that can function without the ARBS)?

I'd be amazed if if it didn't. Most HUDs have bombing/rocketing/straffing functions which don't need any special sensor: just the weapon ballistics and the normal flight data inputs.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

trekaddict

How would an up-engined and armoured Harrier variant work as a tank-busting A-10 analogue?

Weaver

Quote from: trekaddict on January 28, 2010, 03:15:20 PM
How would an up-engined and armoured Harrier variant work as a tank-busting A-10 analogue?

Difficult to get a big gun in it, but it could carry a hell of a lot of Hellfires. Something I've proposed before now is a REALLY big wing Harrier. Fit it with long, straight, thick wings that restrict maximum speed, but hold a lot more fuel and have a lot more pylons beneath them. Of course it would increase empty weight as well, but then real Harriers almost always carry a pair of drop tanks anyway, which this would avoid, so the VTO penalty would be bearable. On the other hand, in STO (which is what Harriers almost always do in practice) it would actually improve performance due to the increased lift. The wing could have lots of individual hardpoints with every 2nd or 3rd one being highly rated (a bit like a Hunter FGA.9 wing with it's rockets-or-bombs setup), which would allow Hellfires/Brimstones to be carried individually instead of on triple rails, thereby reducing drag and weight again. The end result would approximate to a STOVL Su-25.

- Indiana Jones

trekaddict

I see. It's for a part of an AH I am working on, so right now I am torn between that Harrier variant and a Britified SU-25.

As part of that American tech of any sort can't be had in Europe and the Commonwealth, yet at the same time some Russian tech is available.

trekaddict

rickshaw

I wonder, has anybody else noticed that Unicraft are advertising a HS.1127 HSF - "High Speed Helicopter" (I wonder if that is a real designation) kit?   Looks interesting and has potential, I think.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.