Commando comics art

Started by The Rat, August 31, 2011, 06:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

tanktastic43

I remember buying this with my pocket money when I was a kid.
There was also an Air Force version too if I remember correctly?
I may start collecting again!?!

Thanks for posting Rat.  :thumbsup:

tt43.

frank2056

I remember one about an RAF pilot. It followed his career from the BoB through the end of the war. The artwork was fantastic.

lancer

They're just as good as ever.. I still buy them today
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

kitnut617

I used to buy those all the time back in the 60's/70's, I had stacks of them before I left for Canada.  I wonder where they all went 'cause I never threw them out --- hmm   :-\
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

GTX

Ah, that brings back memories - used to regularly read them (usually bought at the second hand bookshop).  They still produce them too.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Maverick

Had a bucket load of them as a kid, including 'Air Ace' No 1 which I was rather proud of.  Excellent series for the time and a genuine surprise to still be in print.  I actually thought they would have faded away.

Regards,

Mav

rickshaw

There have been several large anthologies published in the last few years downunder of the various "war comics" inprints, Commando, Battle, Air, etc.

I used to read them as a kid and enjoyed them very much.  The artwork was quite variable in quality but some of it was indeed, superb.  The stories could be appalling bad or very well written.  Unfortunately there was no way of telling until you'd read it!
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Maverick

They also didn't mind a bit of whiffery.  I remeber one issue in particular that talked about the "Eagle" fighter, which was, in fact, the MB.5.

Regards,

Mav

beowulf

used to read regulary......havnt done for years tho, didnt know they had brought things up to date..............i like the look of that ark royal  ;D
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Supertom

Commando's still being printed?!  I bet I can't find them in the States though.  Fond memories.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Supertom

Just checked out the commandocomics.com - the digital archive alone is tempting me to buy an iPad.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

lancer

Quote from: Supertom on September 01, 2011, 06:24:25 AM
Just checked out the commandocomics.com - the digital archive alone is tempting me to buy an iPad.

Pretty damm impressive isn't it????
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Weaver

Always used to get Warlord myself. That had a few whiffy idea in it: I remember a series featuring a despatch bike with twin bazookas mounted on it!  :o Also, in the wake of the Falklands, they ran a long series called "Harrier Squadron" which was set in politically unreal WWIII. IIRC, they ended up flying from the cargo holds of a converted Japanese cargo ship and attacking pacific islands held by the generic bad guys who DEFINATELY wern't Russians, but who flew MiG-23s.... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Hman

"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."