McDonnell Douglas Alternative Harrier Replacement.

Started by kitnut617, September 02, 2011, 03:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Well, I've got some deep thinking to do now, my initial plan is going to need a bit of refinement as it's not going quite to plan   :banghead:

Does anyone know if there's a 1/65 or 1/75 F-15 produced, the 1/100 scale ones might be a tad small ---  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

SinUnNombre

1/72 is a popular scale, so you may be able to find what you need there.

Jon

kitnut617

Quote from: SinUnNombre on September 19, 2011, 01:16:15 PM

Jon

Um! I'm building in 1/72 scale Jon ---  :lol:

EDIT:

Just had a look in the PAK-20 book, a company called 'Big One' produced a 1/87th one --- now where can I get one of those ---

SinUnNombre

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 19, 2011, 01:19:47 PM
Quote from: SinUnNombre on September 19, 2011, 01:16:15 PM

Jon

Um! I'm building in 1/72 scale Jon ---  :lol:

EDIT:

Just had a look in the PAK-20 book, a company called 'Big One' produced a 1/87th one --- now where can I get one of those ---

Oh. Putting that on my list of new things learned today.

Jon

kitnut617

I think for the front end I need to start with the fan front, this will determine where everything else will go.

So first thing was to work out a new intake duct for the bigger fan front so I made a small square-to-round (technically it's an offset rectangle to round  ;D )

Then glueing the halves together you can see how it's supposed to go, the last pic shows how the inlets will be orientated, there will be a center streamlined bit going in between them eventually.

Unfortunately, the fan blades are getting a bit wacked around and breaking off   :banghead: :banghead:

pyro-manic

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 19, 2011, 05:32:18 PM
...so I made a small square-to-round...

Ok, HOW did you do this!? I have just such an issue for a planned build, and I've been dreading wet-sculpting the trunking out of milliput. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Looking great so far, by the way - I love the way you joined the Eagle and Tornado parts. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kitnut617

Quote from: pyro-manic on September 19, 2011, 11:54:43 PM
Ok, HOW did you do this!? I have just such an issue for a planned build, and I've been dreading wet-sculpting the trunking out of milliput. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Alun ---  I worked it out in my AutoCad but I did find this on the internet which is really quick (and neat) --
http://www.sheetmetalguy.com/transition.htm

Just follow the instructions and it will spit out a development for you.  When the save menu pops up, browse for a directory that you have on your computer and save it there. Then change the *.txt to *.dxf.
Once you've done that send it to me (by PM) and I'll convert it into a jpeg using my autocad program.  Or just tell me what the sizes are and I'll quickly do it for you.

Basically, what you do is work out a flat development like this

Then after cutting the shape out, carefully bend along the lines in the corners using some long nose plyers. Like this --

BTW, the more segments in the corners (that's all the lines) the smoother the corner becomes, so less sanding.

Robert

Supertom

Y'know, after all this is said and done you might want to build up a Yak-141 as a comparison.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

kitnut617

Quote from: Supertom on September 20, 2011, 07:22:21 AM
Y'know, after all this is said and done you might want to build up a Yak-141 as a comparison.

;D

I might -- but probably won't.  As I don't really like Russian aircraft (or German, or Japanese, or Italian, or ---)   :lol:

kitnut617

Here's a comparison between the GR.5/7 fan front and duct with the one I'm building,

Quite a bit bigger, which is what I was expecting considering that the GR.5 had 23,500 lbs of thrust and this MD one would have 40,000 lbs+.

I decided to cut the wings off the 1/100 F-15 just to see what I'm up against, and I don't think I have to look anywhere else for wings, they actually look about right.

And the aircraft won't be much bigger than a Harrier ---

Old Wombat

Hope you have/can-make another set of fan blades! :-\

This is looking great & I'd hate to see knackered fans spoil the look. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitnut617

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 21, 2011, 03:00:40 AM
Hope you have/can-make another set of fan blades! :-\

This is looking great & I'd hate to see knackered fans spoil the look. :thumbsup:

I know I have another around somewhere (IIRC they're a Braz 1/144 fan fronts for a 777) but do you think I can find it --  :banghead:

But I think if I strategically place the broken ones in certain areas, you'll have a hard time seeing them (that's as long as I don't break anymore I guess ---  :-X  )

Captain Canada

That's alot of parts to make one aeroplane.....I like it !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Silverfox

Amazing stuff! I'll be watching this closely, especially for ideas on how to model things in future!
Love the work you've done so far, and the concept behind it too.