McDonnell Douglas Alternative Harrier Replacement.

Started by kitnut617, September 02, 2011, 03:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: overscan on October 15, 2011, 05:56:03 PM
Hmm. Not totally dissimilar to the actual McDonnell Model 262 project...

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2134.msg60186.html#msg60186

[registration needed to view picture]

I was registered with Secret projects, but I've no idea what my password is.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

overscan

4 years since you logged on, I'm not surprised  ;D You can reset the password if your email is still valid. Give me a current email address if its not.
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

kitnut617

I've had a slight change in plan, I want to use these decals which are for the TAV-8B,

but the fins I'm using are a little too small.  Fortunately, the F-18 kit comes with two pairs of fins which are slightly different to each other,
so I've fashioned one pair to have a Harrier T-10/TAV-8B outline.

The chord is a bit wider on these fins.

kitnut617

Quote from: overscan on October 15, 2011, 05:56:03 PM
Hmm. Not totally dissimilar to the actual McDonnell Model 262 project...

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2134.msg60186.html#msg60186

[registration needed to view picture]

I see what you mean now Paul, now that's a bit scary.  Did this project have separate lift engines then ?

EDITED

overscan

Unfortunately my name is Paul. Duncan is "Overkiller" not "Overscan" :)

Anyway - it was powered in VTOL/STOL mode by fore and aft fans driven by engine bleed air.
"What if?" addict

kitnut617

Quote from: overscan on October 15, 2011, 07:12:16 PM
Unfortunately my name is Paul. Duncan is "Overkiller" not "Overscan" :)

I'm really sorry for getting your names mixed up Paul.

Quote from: overscan on October 15, 2011, 07:12:16 PM
Anyway - it was powered in VTOL/STOL mode by fore and aft fans driven by engine bleed air.

That's an interesting concept, now do you think this was the V-19 designation that McDonnell reserved, the time is about right.

overscan

QuoteV-19A: Designation reserved for Navy in 1977 and cancelled in 1980; no details available

There were loads of McDonnell Douglas VTOL concepts in the 70s. The designation could have been reserved for the VSTOL Type A studies.

"What if?" addict

kitnut617

I have to admit I'm quite pleased with how this model has turned out, and the visual look is really growing on me.

Here's a few pics of a comparison, the first one shows that it turned out just a little wider in span than the GR.5/AV-8B wingspan, second one shows is just a whisker longer than the Harrier T-10, and the last pic shows that even though I used quite a bit of the 1/72 F-15 for parts, it's considerably smaller than the F-15

kitnut617

An update:

This project is progressing now after being on the shelf for about a year.

nighthunter

Um, crud, a little late to ask, but where is the Cannon on this beauty located? Obviously you couldn't use the F/A-18 Cannon, and I was kinda thinking something along the lines of the F-4's centerline under nose cannon, or is it going to use a centerline cannon pod? similar to the Harrier or the older GAU pod?
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

buzzbomb

kitnut617

Quote from: James on February 25, 2013, 09:18:09 AM
It's wonderful.  :bow:

Quote from: buzzbomb on February 28, 2013, 02:19:43 PM
... and still liking it :thumbsup:

Thanks guys ---

Quote from: nighthunter on February 28, 2013, 02:02:22 PM
Um, crud, a little late to ask, but where is the Cannon on this beauty located? Obviously you couldn't use the F/A-18 Cannon, and I was kinda thinking something along the lines of the F-4's centerline under nose cannon, or is it going to use a centerline cannon pod? similar to the Harrier or the older GAU pod?

One of the things I didn't want was a cannon that was ""added-on"" afterwards, so you'll find it right where you'll find a cannon on an F-15 --- in the wing root.

aerofan

Robert,

I haven't read through all the other replies so forgive me if someone has already mention that it's like a Yak-41/Yak-141 but better looking. I can't wait to see it finished with markings applied.