Main Menu

Starcruiser 1

Started by Devilfish, September 05, 2011, 05:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

I recently won this on E-bay.  It's a kit I've wanted since I was a kid, and finally got round to getting.

For anyone that doesn't know, it was a ship initially designed by the Gerry Anderson crew for a folllow on show to Space 1999, but never picked up. Look-in magazine had a comic strip about it, but thats about it.
Airfix brought out this snap together kit in the late 70's (78 according to the moulds).
Having looked it up on the web, it appears that the original design was much biggger.  This is born out by the fact that despite being 1/48th scale, it's tiny.....
Also, to give it "playability" it has forgone any sense of "reality of systems" that the larger original would have had. 
For example, there is no way the crew could have moved between sections as the mating surfaces are too small to allow docking hatches.
The Command section, even allowing for advanced future designs, wouldn't have had room to fit any flight control or motor systems....
And the "laboratory"....well!!!

Anyway, this leaves me with a dilemma.  To accurise it, I can either, scale it down to say, 1/72, or I can make the relevant sections bigger.

The first option is obviously the easiest.....so I'm going for the second!  Mainly because I like 1/48.  A lot of my planes are that scale.

So, here's the plan.  I'll take each section at a time, as a unit in itself, and enlarge it where I feel it would benefit, but hopefully still keep the look and feel of the original. 
Docking ports will be added. 
More realistic propulsion will be added too.
Finally, well, infact first, a back story will be thought of......more of that later.

First, the initial pictures....
The parts

Theres a few more floating around, but thats the bulk of them

Chosing a scale...
1/72

Prob best for ease, but I felt the pilot would look lost behind such a large screen

1/48

Much better fit, but need more room

Oh, and the original pilot...awful!!

The main part of the ship, with a 1/48 pilot for comparison

This will need both height and width increasing.  Will probably lengthen it too, to keep proportions right

Descision made....1/48
I'm going to cut out the original cockpits and build something more workmanlike.
Seats for the command module will come from a bit of real scifi...the TSR2

The interceptor will get a cockpit from an A-10.  Not decided on the other sections yet.  All I know is that the Lab section needs to be bigger and have a better track system.  And possibly a seperate exploration vehicle, as the original had....

scooter

Even just looking at the box art, there's no way in heck anyone could move around that ship, even in zero g.

:thumbsup:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Weaver

Cool - I had one as a kid too, and even then, I shared your reservations about it!

If I ever get one on ebay (not paying silly collector's prices) I'll go the opposite way and scaleorama it to 1/72nd. :thumbsup:

There was another one wasn't there? Very large scale. The "base" ship had two octagonal tubes and a front end with clear domes all over it, then there was an Orion-esque ship that sat on top of it, and a little triangular shuttle on top of that... :unsure:

EDIT: it was the "Cosmic Clipper".
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Devilfish

Looking at it now, scaling it to 1/72 would make sense.  But I'm going to set this almost 100 years in the future, so I'll take it as read that computers will be much smaller and much more powerful. 

The command module will in this case be space faring only, unlike the the kit which gives it downward thrusters and landing feet.  Therefore only RCS and main power thrust is needed.

The main body is going to be greatly increased in mass.  This would need doing even in 1/72, as in all likelyhood, it would be the main cabin for the crew.  It also houses the main engines and fuel.....and food.....and breathing systems.....etc etc etc

The "pod", laboratory, whatever, is just a joke as it is.  Looking at the original, it was much bigger and contained a roving vehicle.   My plan is to enlarge it.  To make it a proper lab for planet analysis.  It will either have it's own tracks to move around, or it'll have a vehicle with it.

Lastly, the interceptor. My least favourite part.  A complete redesign I think....Not sure how yet!  I just hate it how it is now!

Weaver

You could give it a longer external engine/fuel section at the back (all tubes, spheres and struts), then use the "spare" skis from the Command Module to hold it up, thus making it 5-legged.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Devilfish

The current plan (always subject to change) is to build a seperate engine area, much like was on the Space 1999 Eagles.

puddingwrestler

Looks like something designed between UFO and Space:1999, before UFO's sequel series had morphed into Space:1999...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Weaver

Actually it started out as a post-Space:1999 design for a series that would be more "kiddie/educational" than high adventure. The original was bigger (a family lived in it) and lacked the interceptor (added by Airfix, presumable to give it a more macho air).

- Indiana Jones

Devilfish

Just did a bit of cutting last night.

As you can see, I removed the original moulded in seats and have test fitted 1/48 TSR2 ejection seats.  I did trial fit some 1/72 ejection seats, but they looked lost it there....
The back wall will have to be moved further back to accomodate the pilots, but that's not a problem now.

pyro-manic

Good stuff! I can just hear the collectors howling in rage. ;D
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Devilfish

Quote from: pyro-manic on September 20, 2011, 09:25:59 AM

Models are made to be built, not collected! lol

MiB

When I was young, I had this kit, almost perfect (a little bit of glue, no painting..). Today, I don't know where is this kit (but I hated the useless Interceptor) but if I find now, maybe I'll modified in something more real ;) :thumbsup:

I'm very curious to see the Devilfish finished work  :thumbsup: :wub:
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

Rheged

Let them howl!!  This is getting very interesting!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

nighthunter

Quote from: Devilfish on September 26, 2011, 01:17:37 AM

Models are made to be built, not collected! lol
Agreed!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

deathjester

Quote from: nighthunter on March 30, 2014, 08:56:42 AM