Hi Hurri, or Hawker Hurricane HPR1

Started by JayBee, September 05, 2011, 11:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Doc, it's a two part putty, and I think it's polyester rather than epoxy, but could be wrong, it certainly smells like polyester anyway. It comes as a BIG tube of the putty and a tiny tube of the catalyst, so mixing in the correct proportions can be a problem sometimes. It's primarily intended for filling in small dents in car panels AFAIK.

Perhaps that gives some clues to a US equivalent?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Come on guys! Play fair. I had to go and read the instructions for the ISOPON :rolleyes:
Yes, it is a Polyester filler.
Overnight it has set nice and hard and as long as it lives up to it's claim of being "Easy Sand" things are looking good.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

The Wooksta!

Overnight?  You should be able to sand within 15 minutes!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Rheged

Once upon a time 37 years ago  there was a  Morris minivan, whose bodywork was a tribute to ISOPON.  Thanks to this product the vehicle  got through 3 MOTs and carried me to and from work  for nearly 4 years.  I won't have a word spoken  against it.  You could put a magnet against the van in so many places, and it wouldn't  cling!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

JayBee

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 22, 2011, 07:56:08 AM
Overnight?  You should be able to sand within 15 minutes!

So I take my time :rolleyes: Anyway I have just done my stage one PSR and I am very pleseantly surprised. It does sand well and the very thin wing tips have a good degree of rigidity. Thanks for the tip Lee.

Jim

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

The Wooksta!

If you've got some basic one part moulds, it's good enough to use as a resin to copy small parts.  I tried it with an instrument panel a few years back and it worked well enough.

I can't take any credit.  A guy called Eddie Cruk showed off some conversion work a few years back and he'd used P38 for it whilst Rob Sullivan at my IPMS branch has used it to create masters.  One tip he passed on was to coat it with talc before doing any sanding as whilst it looks cured, the surface isn't quite.

BTW, has that package arrived?  And if I'd known you wanted a Hurricane recce pack, I would have included one!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

JayBee

Lee,

the package has indeed arrived and is being worked on, hadn't realised the difference between the Pegasus and AZ canopies. I have to say I do not think either is totally correct.

Jim

Cats are not real. 

The Wooksta!

The resin canopy plug is taken from the Magna one.  It's not perfect but better than the abortion in the AZ kit.  There's a similar canopy in the CMR Spiteful I got a few days back.  TBH, I don't think anyone has done a definitive Spiteful yet.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Howard of Effingham

interesting stuff jim!

me likey this hurricane quite a bit!

incidentially, couldn't you paint her PRU mauve?  ;D ;)

trevor
Keeper of George the Cat.

JayBee

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on September 26, 2011, 04:14:49 AM

incidentially, couldn't you paint her PRU mauve?  ;D ;)

trevor

NO!

It realy has to be Blue, as it is going to be V7101, a stripped down Mk1 that was based in Malta and painted overal blue for tactical reconaisance. The colour scheme is going to be RW, the physical nature of the beast, well that is another story.

The Wooksta has, over on another thread, suggested that the correct blue for a PR machine in the MTO should be "Bosuns" blue.
Anyone got any ideas about the mix for this?

Jim

Cats are not real. 

RussC

Quote from: JayBee on September 15, 2011, 11:52:18 AM
Short update, a view of the various laminations as I build up the wing tips.

Jim

Exactly the way I have built up some airfoils for the flying wings where a kit part just wasn't there. This method also works with paper.

Might be a interesting photo manip when you complete this showing the stratocane' going after one of those long wing Ju-86P's, in some really deep dark blue skies. Any thoughts as to a big add-on supercharger blower?
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

JayBee

You have to remember that this was a field modification done in Malta in 1941, where would they (those two famous Warrent Officers WO Scarpper and WO Botchit) have got a supercharger from?  :rolleyes:

Cats are not real. 

PR19_Kit

The Hurri's Merlin already had a supercharger, and R-R didn't make blower-less Merlins, unless you count early Kestrels......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Kit,

I think RussC was thinking of a SuperDooperCharger :rolleyes:

Jim

Cats are not real.