1956 Thunderbird

Started by John Howling Mouse, September 05, 2011, 04:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

So, the lovely wife (aka "Ms. Hitler" TM ) asked me to show her how to build a car model.  She's working on a '66 Nova.  Funny how many skills you can apply from military modeling on a civilian auto. Here is my progress so far on my Monogram 1956 T-Bird:

Oh yeah, did I mention that Ms. Hitler is building her model across the workbench from me while wearing black thigh-high boots and her latest from Victoria's Secret?  Yeah, I know: I'm having trouble concentrating, too!

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Alvis 3.14159

That's odd, that's what I wear when building car models too!

Alvis Pi

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on September 05, 2011, 05:15:27 PM
That's odd, that's what I wear when building car models too!

Alvis Pi

That IS odd.   :-X

Scooterman

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on September 05, 2011, 04:47:20 PM
Oh yeah, did I mention that Ms. Hitler is building her model across the workbench from me while wearing black thigh-high boots and her latest from Victoria's Secret?  Yeah, I know: I'm having trouble concentrating, too!

WE DEMAND PICS!!!
Or at least I do......... ;D

Alvis 3.14159

Okay, I guess I could post the pics...

Oh, not me. My bad!

Alvis Pi

scooter

Quote from: Scooterman on September 05, 2011, 07:15:56 PM
Quote from: John Howling Mouse on September 05, 2011, 04:47:20 PM

WE DEMAND PICS!!!
Or at least I do......... ;D

Ditto...

And preferably not of Radish... ::shudder::
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

puddingwrestler

Is this the one which has all the strange optional exgtra parts left over from the Trophy Series kit? I had a mid '90s re-issue which had none of the custom part apart from the ridiculously long fast-back roof (which was teamed with other parts in the Trophy Series kit to make something which looked llike a cross between an E-Type front end and roof and a concussed fish)
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: puddingwrestler on September 06, 2011, 03:33:24 PM
Is this the one which has all the strange optional exgtra parts left over from the Trophy Series kit? I had a mid '90s re-issue which had none of the custom part apart from the ridiculously long fast-back roof (which was teamed with other parts in the Trophy Series kit to make something which looked llike a cross between an E-Type front end and roof and a concussed fish)

Nope, this is pretty much a run of the mill Monogram classic '56 T-bird.

Devilfish

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 07, 2011, 04:56:10 PM
Quote from: puddingwrestler on September 06, 2011, 03:33:24 PM
... a concussed fish)

Indeed. ;D

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/amt-3/amt-57-t-bird-troph/?view=roll

Except that's AMT....not Monogram, lol  (and a '57  :-\)

I did the Monogram one back in 82, when you could get it with a metal body.......The poor old chassis could hardly take the weight!!

Oh and just a point....I think you'll find the dashboard is metal and painted the same gloss colour as the bodywork.  Just about all of Detroits finest were in this era.

rickshaw

What ever it is, it is a stunningly ugly car.    :o
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

sequoiaranger

rickshaw-->What ever it is, it is a stunningly ugly car.<

The AMT model box doesn't do it justice AT ALL. The '56 T-bird was a BEAUTIFUL car--undoubtedly some of the VERY BEST of Detroit steel. However, all is in the eye of the beholder. By 1958 the T-bird WAS an ugly car as Ford tried to "improve" it with size, excess chrome, and clunky styling. Too bad. Even the "retro" modern rendition (now out of production) of the T-bird PALED in comparison to the *classic* mid-50's series.

A common theme for me, but WHY is "customizing" an auto model considered good form and creative, but "customizing" (read whiffing) a military airplane is NOT?? Luckily, "whiffed" models have been GAINING acceptance among the regular modeling crowd.

Anyway, regardless of the model or the "costume" worn when making one, good on ya for getting the Significant Other on board our hobby!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sequoiaranger on September 08, 2011, 10:20:31 AM
A common theme for me, but WHY is "customizing" an auto model considered good form and creative, but "customizing" (read whiffing) a military airplane is NOT?? Luckily, "whiffed" models have been GAINING acceptance among the regular modeling crowd.

Possibly because customising cars is a real world activity too, loads of guys in the US, UK and Europe (and in Oz too I supect) do exactly that?

Whereas almost NO-ONE customises RW aircraft, apart perhaps from the pylon racers. For sure they don't do it with big modern jets!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

While on the subject of T'birds, I like the '59s best, even though they're big brutes.

A buddy of mine in Minneapolis let me help out refurbishing his, and I re-built the whole engine over a month or two, and he let me drive it post the re-build! The things that impressed me most were the seat that swivelled outward and the steering wheel that moved up and away from you when you opened the door!

Oh yes, and the fact that the driver's seat had more chrome on the BACK of it than my car had in total!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: Devilfish on September 08, 2011, 04:49:09 AM

Except that's AMT....not Monogram, lol  (and a '57  :-\)

No kidding. I know it's not the model JHM is working on, however it is the creature that PW brought up, thus the quote from his post.