A submarine thought...

Started by Litvyak, September 06, 2011, 08:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Litvyak

Take a diesel submarine... take out the diesel engine. Replace with a hydrogen fuel cell. Add a section where seawater can be converted to hydrogen fuel.

Result: an alternative to SSNs for arctic operations?
C-A-NZ-UK!

rickshaw

Been done.  The Germans have been working on fuel cell technology for AIP (Air Independent oPeration) now for a long time.   The Swedes use a Stirling engine which converts heat to energy.   Both have proved troublesome and expensive.

The Italians have been toying with stored oxygen for submerged diesel operation for a long time as well.   Again, expensive and troublesome.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Hobbes

Quote from: Litvyak on September 06, 2011, 08:04:07 PM
Add a section where seawater can be converted to hydrogen fuel.

Using what for power? You'd still need a primary power source for the electrolysis, and no, you can't use the fuel cell as that process would yield less hydrogen than the fuel cell uses.

GTX

Quote from: Hobbes on September 07, 2011, 12:10:26 AM
Quote from: Litvyak on September 06, 2011, 08:04:07 PM
Add a section where seawater can be converted to hydrogen fuel.

Using what for power? You'd still need a primary power source for the electrolysis, and no, you can't use the fuel cell as that process would yield less hydrogen than the fuel cell uses.

Exactly.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Hobbes

Quote from: rickshaw on September 06, 2011, 08:51:00 PM
Been done.  The Germans have been working on fuel cell technology for AIP (Air Independent oPeration) now for a long time.   The Swedes use a Stirling engine which converts heat to energy.   Both have proved troublesome and expensive.

The Italians have been toying with stored oxygen for submerged diesel operation for a long time as well.   Again, expensive and troublesome.

The question is, is it more expensive than a nuclear powerplant?

Litvyak

I guess I didn't really think this through or did research... twas just a sudden thought.

If it were made to work reliably, though, then even if it cost the same as a nuc, I think long term it'd probably be worth it even if just for the clean factor...?
C-A-NZ-UK!

Hobbes

It could be worth it for nations that really don't want to go the nuclear route. A nuclear plant requires lots of specialized knowledge and an extensive infrastructure. Fuel cells are less complex (no need to mine and refine uranium, for example).

But however good fuel cells get, they're still limited by the amount of fuel you can put on board the sub. You can use a fuel cell to create a submarine that can stay underwater for a few weeks, so it's a big improvement over conventional diesel-electrics, but you'll never match the endurance of a nuclear sub.

rickshaw

Quote from: Hobbes on September 07, 2011, 05:57:48 AM
It could be worth it for nations that really don't want to go the nuclear route. A nuclear plant requires lots of specialized knowledge and an extensive infrastructure. Fuel cells are less complex (no need to mine and refine uranium, for example).

But however good fuel cells get, they're still limited by the amount of fuel you can put on board the sub. You can use a fuel cell to create a submarine that can stay underwater for a few weeks, so it's a big improvement over conventional diesel-electrics, but you'll never match the endurance of a nuclear sub.

Nor its speed...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

scooter

Quote from: Hobbes on September 07, 2011, 05:57:48 AM

Still, couple it with improved battery technology and new gen turbodiesels and shrouded props, you'll still get a quiet boat underwater and probably a decent boat above, especially with the right shape hull.  After all, diesel boats are supposed to be hard to detect passively, save by a trained operator.

<- would love to see the old Balao and Gato fleet boats come back into USN service
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng