Batmobiles, Batplanes, Batboats, etc...

Started by Weaver, September 08, 2011, 04:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

A thread for all subjects black and batty........

Having just bought the Polar Lights Batplane on a whim, I now find myself wondering what, as a whiffer, to actually do with it. Of course, I could paint it any colour I like, but with the scalloped flying surfaces, it's always going to look like nothing else except a Batplane. My only real idea so far is to take it very seriously: it's a fairly crappy old 1960s kit of a silly, fictional subject (plug-in undercarriage with no bays, heads-on-a-shelf cockpit etc...) so you could take the mickey out of the JMN brigade by lavishly super-detailing and "accurising" it the way they'd do with yet another F-16/Spitfire, complete with exhaustive list of mods..... :wacko:

There is one interesting, if difficult "accurisation" you can, or at least could, do: the Polar Lights re-pop has downwards-curved wings which they never questioned while they were laser-scanning an old Aurora one as a pattern, since they look pretty "batty", but in fact, the wings are meant to be straight. Aurora's quality control was poor, and a lot of these sprues were taken out of the mould while still too hot, and subsequently sagged: Polar Lights copied a cockup!  ;D

Apparently, someone was making a set of resin replacement straight wings for a while, but the thread where I found all this also had a post from the man himself, saying that he was no longer doing them. People have also tried straightening the original ones with heat/hot water etc... but apparently, the plastic is quite resistant.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

raafif

Hmmm, I have Polar-Lites' Star-Trek Scorpion which also has downward curving wings (4 of them !) -- seems to be favourite thing with them  :lol:

I'd have thought that "accurising" the Batwing was essential -- you definately need to buy the Eduard pre-painted seat-belts for it.

Also add the motorised wing-flap option .... :blink:

you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

philp

I have built the two movie Bat boats as is and have the '66 Batboat still to do.  I got PLs new 24th scale snap kit of the only true Batmobile and plan on doing it right.  Has got to be my fav movie/TV vehicle with Ecto and Herbie very close.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

jcf

I've actually been thinking of doing my Fisher Model and Pattern 1/24 Alfa-Romeo Bertone B.A.T. 5 as a Batmobile. 
A paint scheme that would give a few hard-core car modellers apoplexy. ;D

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z10320/Alfa-Romeo-BAT-5.aspx

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

arkon

the batmobile from the batman/judge dredd crossover was pretty cool
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

Well well, I went poking around on Hobby Link Japan and look what was the first thing I stumbled on:

http://www.hlj.com/product/PLZMOE920

Batman Batpod (the folding motorbike thang)  :wub: But why the FRACK is it 1/25th scale not 1/24th? :unsure:

- Indiana Jones

jcf

Weaver

- Indiana Jones

Steel Penguin

at a guess, its easier to do the maths, or possibly to ensure that whiff minded folks cant use it for "non standard" things
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Weaver

Quote from: Leading Observer on September 10, 2011, 03:48:11 AM
Batpod or Catpod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrUiPPGKaO8&feature=player_embedded

I'm quite happy to take the pillion seat ;D

Given that the only thing behind her behind is the back tire, you might not be happy for long.....

- Indiana Jones

philp

We don't have a drool emoticon, right? 

One thing about the Batpod kit.  According to Culttvman, no figure is included.  So, does that mean the aftermarket people are going to give us an optional Batman/Catwoman to go with your kit?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies